took a shot in the dark and pulled into a small architectural metal shop and was able to pick up a sheet of expanded metal in the EXACT width I needed for my cooking grates and just long enough for 4 and best part was the guy sold it to me for $10!!!

Took it home and after a considerable amount of cutting and welding got my fire grate put together. If I have any expanded metal left over I will put it across the back but for now I just think it's cool!

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 111
Well it's official...after today's work I am two cooking grates away from having a functional smoker!!!

Today I made my chimney damper and cut in my air intake!

Dave, this thing looks incredible!!!!! Later this week I will fire it up again and see how it does with airflow.

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 91
I like the way the intake turned out, it was fun making the prototype. After seeing it and knowing it can easily be scaled up I'm kinda wondering if a larger version could do double duty as a firebox door and intake

As soon as I get my cooking grates made and cleaned (probably today cause I'm off work earlier) I will fire it up for a burn and then a cook and there will be pics a plenty!!!

Did you have any of my ribs at the bash?

May I present to the world...BoomShuckuLucky! aka BabyBoom!!!

Got about 20 minutes worth of grinding to do (not tonight) and I'll do a practice/second seasoning burn and put food on it this weekend...stay tuned!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 70
Back