THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When I raced we ran into some greasy situations. Orange Clean from the dollar store worked pretty good. Also mix a small amount of laundry detergent with water and spray on and let soak. Then hit with a heated pressure washer If you have one. If not I would take boiling water and mix the laundry detergent and let that soak in it

I did some reading on a studabaker forum and a lot of guys used ez off oven cleaner to clean off old engine parts. That stuff is cheap and easy to come by. I was thinking spray it let it sit for 30 minutes hose it then burn it...gotta do that anyways might as well be today lol

If you can get a black trash bag(s) around it. I have had luck with easy off when spraying and then leaving in the sun in a trash bag for about an hour and hose down somewhere it wont kill the lawn. Squeaky clean almost every time.

The degreaser worked well! Didn't get all of it, but I think another can would do the trick. I sprayed it and let it sit for an hour and a half then sprayed it down and scrubbed with some scouring pads and wiped down with terry cloth looks a hellavalot better!!!

Attachments

That build is coming together nicely!

I still say that if you're truly walking the Path of Smitty, you should have started with a filing cabinet. :-D

If y'all thought it was clean before...I hit it with a second round of ez off and a Brillo pad and now I could almost eat off this thing!

I'm gonna use the latches that Dave included in his box of goodies. And Dave I've been looking at the intake and I think I'm gonna put it on the side. I've been been looking at the feet on the tank and I think for the time being I'm going to keep them and add casters so I can lay it down and move it around that only leaves the side or the door for the intake.

I got the diffuser plate put inside but now I can't decide...weld it down or bolster the bracing and keep it removable?

Attachments

Last edited:
I'd keep it removable, then you can get UDS flavor when you want. Sometimes I take the water bowl out of my WSM and let drippings hit the fire--it gives you a little different flavor and really firm bark from the more direct heat.

i'm with dave. you may want to put a really low grate where the diffuser is and grill. that's how mine is setup.

This is a question directed towards Paul and Dave...speaking of grates, I've been playing around with placement of the rails for the cooking grates and I am getting lost in 3D space trying to make proper measurements. How did you guys do it? Cause I'm about to start taking measurements and use a lot of trigonometry...

How do I make sure they are lined up? Level? Spaced evenly between the left and right rails? The problem is that my only reference point to measure from is the door. I'm aware that I'm grossly over thinking this but I'm just lost...

Back