THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I make sure they are lined up? Level? Spaced evenly between the left and right rails? The problem is that my only reference point to measure from is the door. I'm aware that I'm grossly over thinking this but I'm just lost...
There are a few ways do git it done. Some harder, some easier.
One example/way to do it off the top of my head.
Get your smoker level, cut 2 piece of 3/4 plywood to the size/dimensions of your grates,or use the angle frames you are going to use as a grates. Block that up at the height you want/need at each location with pieces of 4X4, bricks, what ever you have. Easy to repeat for each grate. If that makes sense. Pretty easy to get 6" spacing with bricks and repeatable. If using 3/4 ply, take that into your height measurements.
Get each location level as you go/work from bottom to top. Tack welding the side slides at each location as you go.
Then if you want more locations, lay the bricks on their side ontop of one of grates to give you 2 or 3" spacing. Repeat.
They will all be the same. Easy peasy.
Then finish weld.

Pio go to HD and get or rent a Lazer level then set it in the pit at the levels you want the grates and use a marker to mark the line.

Decided to do a little work before heading out of town for the weekend. Got the braces for the diffuser plate bolstered with some 1/2" square rod. I also found this horseshoe in our back room. Asked my wife if she knew where it came from...she said no so now it's on the smoker...cause...Texas that's why!!!

Attachments

So I was able to fix a problem today. As you can see in the picture above I've been having issues with my doors not staying shut. I decided to take a play out of my cabinet building tricks and I ground off the hinges and welded a couple washers into the backs. Raising the hinges by 1/8" fixed my door problems and now both stay shut without latches!

I'm gonna get the fire-basket made this week and do that cleanout/seasoning burn I've been talking about. Question for the peanut gallery...should I prepare to paint the outside, or season it just like the inside? I've seen guys talk about both.

Last edited:
How do I make sure they are lined up? Level? Spaced evenly between the left and right rails? The problem is that my only reference point to measure from is the door. I'm aware that I'm grossly over thinking this but I'm just lost...

First make sure the smoker is level. Then strap or tack weld an angle horizontal across the opening. Then use a square and a level for the sides. I also used magnets.

As for charcoal usage. I get 8 hours out of a UDS basket of coal running at 250.

Chris

Attachments

Busy work day today!!!

Got all of the bracing on the doors, inside and out.

Got the latches welded on.

Got rails for the fire-basket welded in. You'll notice I did not use angle iron but instead bought some T-posts at $3.99 each. Does the same thing but gives me more material to weld onto the tank.

I got the holes in the door patched.

And as I type this, I greased up the inside of the tank with shortning and there's a seasoning fire burning!!!

Attachments

Last edited:
Now I am looking for the opinions from the peanut gallery...where to put Dave's awesome sliding door intake. On the firebox door or on the side?

Last edited:
The right side is where I was leaning too.

From my burn last night I have learned a couple things...one, this thing will retain heat like crazy (but it's nearly 1/4" steel so I would expect that. Two, it seals up tight without gaskets. There is a small leak at the top of the cook chamber door but nothing to write home about. And three, when fully closed it will choke out a fire in seconds!

OK color me convinced lol. I will plan to put it on the right side. Though I am not so concerned with warping the door. It is twice braced and 1/4" thick.

I did start getting my fire basket put together last night.

Back