THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you have 90 hobbies and two small kids and don’t even have time to tend the smoker then I doubt you would have time to build a drum smoker. Just get the wsm22 and a temp controller and start smoking. Chris

Since you already have the kettle, I would try the Slow n Sear. It does a pretty good job for smoking and it would be the cheapest option to see if you get the flavor you want.

My next recommendation would be the WSM or the PBC which are both in your price range.

If you have 90 hobbies and two small kids and don’t even have time to tend the smoker then I doubt you would have time to build a drum smoker. Just get the wsm22 and a temp controller and start smoking. Chris

We are moving so that impacts time. I do woodworking, blacksmithing, and knife making as side hobbies. Also fish and hunt when time allows which is rarely. When you add in yard work and actual work time gets tight sometimes but not bad.

I don't mind coming by to toss a log in or check but I don't want to be strapped to the smoker all day is the main thing.

Tell me more about the set it and forget it aspect of the Hunsaker. After locking it in at set temp... how long can you safely walk away from it and know it’s gonna hold temp? Have you ever done a low n slow overnight cook?

Once I get my charcoal going, which only takes about 15 minutes, I just set the bottom damper to run and adjust with the exhaust. This is how Mark explains to do it. I’ve had the smoker run for 5 hours without having to even touch anything on it. I have not had time for an ultra long cook yet or an overnight one, but I have nothing but 100% confidence that the smoker would do just fine with them. I know of some guy like the above mentioned that will throw stuff on before they go to bed and just yank it off in the morning with no issues at all.

When I did not have the time, I reduced the drudgery of 10-12 hour smokes with a cheap electric smoker. After the meat reached inner temp. of 150-60 in the stick smoker I would wrap, set the temp in the electric smoker, and finish the cook there checking the meat temp occasionally until it got close to done and then more frequently. You can add some smoke wood/chips in the electric if you insist. No noticeable difference in taste.

Pellet grill vs smoker

Im sure you folks have already discussed this but the thing people tend to glaze over is that while a pellet grill looks like an offset smoker and to some degree acts like an offset smoker, it is not.
I just bought the Pit Boss pro 802 but prior to purchasing i did a ton of research. ( because i have asbergers i take research to the level of obsessive insanity)
Everything you read or watch says the same thing "a pellet grill is a grill that uses pellets for heat rather than charcoal or gas but at low temperatures can smoke food to some degree. But for the real deal, heavy smoke kind of cook you need a device that is actually named a smoker. This is why companies like Pit boss make both a grill and a vertical smoker." All of my research indicated that the vertical smoker is designed for the sole purpose of smoking stuff. So its sealed much tighter and its auger program is designed more for low & smoky. Also the smoke rises from bottom to top assuring that the smoke passes everything inside before exiting through the vent on top. In the grill your smoke may roll a little bit but the stack is toward the top rather that at cooking grate level so the smoke thends to blow through the chamber quickly as compared to the vertical.
I decided on the grill because i already have a gas vertical for things like jerky and i liked having the option to simply grill food on something other than the bland tasting gas or time & labor intensive charcoal.
Now when i want a heavier smoke i use a tube or a box but . . . At least in the beginning, they tend to flame up a bit which will effect your cook zone temperature and humidity which can impose dryness on your food. I like to get it burning outside the smoker until the flame dies down and at least 25-40% of the pellets are black & smoldering. I also have a box with legs that i sit on top of the drain pan/fire cover thingy underneath the grates which keeps the smoke passing across the food rather than over it.
I also learned that you need to do a handful of cooks on a new pellet grill to let the soot or whatever it is build up around the lid & other air leaking spaces before your temp swings will get less radical.
I get a nice smoke ring on this thing now and honestly haven't used any other smoker since.

Back