Let’s See Your Cast Iron

I’ve gifted my son several pieces of Griswold and Wagner Ware Sidney O. I’ve never seen him use them since gifted. As well I bought him a piece of French Carbon Steel skillet and he has bought more of that. I would never ask however it’s easily noticed what he prefers and it’s not cast iron. Mine will gradually disappear to friends and family. His call and probably he will never know.

Maybe if you scraped that black chit off, he would use it more??

Love the old CI pans you have. :thumb:

Lodge mostly is all I have

12 and 15 pans

3XOhT1Il.png

Camping 12 DO

YTAmuGml.png

6QT Enameled DO

8iPsB1wl.png

A cheap Chinese CI pan for searing steaks in the Blackstone oven

O5u7HFeh.jpg

Here are a few pics of some of my vintage collection of cast iron.

First photo - Dutch ovens of various size and makers, Griswold, Wagner, Favorite Piqua Ware, BSR, Western Foundry Co.

Second photo - my personal favorites pre-Griswold “Erie” frying pans and skillet. Three of them are first series Erie that can date back to the 1880’s. The chrome plated is a later series circa 1907. These skillets are lighter than any other cast iron I’ve picked up and have incredibly smooth finishes.

Third photo - a few specialty items and including a waffle iron and a no. 12 Skillet, both Favorite Piqua Ware. Wagner and Griswold bacon and egg skillets

Fourth photo - admitting many years ago I had a heavy metal problem, I justified continued buying/searching but only no. 3 or smaller. Here are few of the more rare or difficult to find. A Wagner “pizza” logo, a Griswold “Cliff Cornell”, Good Health, unmarked Volrath

Fifth photo - a bell my wife and I received from my parents as a wedding gift many years ago, cast in a foundry in Bar Harbor, Maine

I have more vintage skillets, griddles and a couple of flat bottom kettles, tea kettle and other items. I don’t actively search anymore since the prices sky rocketed about a decade ago but I’m regularly tempted. I hold out for the pre-Griswold Erie pieces…mostly…if I stay strong and walk away.

Attachments

• 7BAD3F14-78AF-453C-AD5A-7F591CE3B3BE.jpg
    7BAD3F14-78AF-453C-AD5A-7F591CE3B3BE.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 12781EAB-0088-4E49-9EC5-9DC42FC4CF19.jpg
    12781EAB-0088-4E49-9EC5-9DC42FC4CF19.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 153
  • B36E7406-144B-4893-BAE8-D3AF53D49C83.jpg
    B36E7406-144B-4893-BAE8-D3AF53D49C83.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 154
  • A3286F21-899A-490A-AD42-9A9FE30223D5.jpg
    A3286F21-899A-490A-AD42-9A9FE30223D5.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 154
  • F319DD9C-0DCD-4DA7-8598-438D20F6D35A.jpg
    F319DD9C-0DCD-4DA7-8598-438D20F6D35A.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 154
and now the rest of the story...

In my earlier post about my small collection I had mentioned that I had to pass an interview with the elderly couple in which I had to promise to take care of the dutch oven. Immediately after being given the cast iron, I was told why they were so adamant that the set went to a good home.

They recently gave their niece a large cast iron cauldron that had been in the family for several generations. A few weeks after the gift was received, their niece called them up and wanted her aunt and uncle to pay them a visit. The niece wanted to show them what she had done with the cauldron. Mr. Knaeble told me that when they drove up the drive way to his nieces house, he almost came to tears when he saw his prized and seasoned caldron had been converted into a lawn ornament that now contained potted flowers. He said this is why I had to pass the interview to receive the dutch oven. He also said his niece was no longer on his list.

In my earlier post about my small collection I had mentioned that I had to pass an interview with the elderly couple in which I had to promise to take care of the dutch oven. Immediately after being given the cast iron, I was told why they were so adamant that the set went to a good home.

They recently gave their niece a large cast iron cauldron that had been in the family for several generations. A few weeks after the gift was received, their niece called them up and wanted her aunt and uncle to pay them a visit. The niece wanted to show them what she had done with the cauldron. Mr. Knaeble told me that when they drove up the drive way to his nieces house, he almost came to tears when he saw his prized and seasoned caldron had been converted into a lawn ornament that now contained potted flowers. He said this is why I had to pass the interview to receive the dutch oven. He also said his niece was no longer on his list.

I must concur.She would be out of will immediately.

Nice collections folks.
I've collected but unloaded most of mine, only kept what I use.
This one has me stumped..
Got at an estate sale for a buck($1.00)!!!!!
I know it's a loaf pan, but how old?
Paul B

Attachments

• 20210904_080514.jpg
    20210904_080514.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 20210904_080452.jpg
    20210904_080452.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 20210904_080502.jpg
    20210904_080502.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 110
Is that Aluminum? Regardless according to Wagner History link below if it only says Wagner that was some of their early pieces, and as Im sure you know if it says Made In USA those are the newest. Metal type, logo can help establish a range of dates.
Very cool piece

https://www.booniehicks.com/wagner-cast-iron/

Here are a few pics of some of my vintage collection of cast iron.

First photo - Dutch ovens of various size and makers, Griswold, Wagner, Favorite Piqua Ware, BSR, Western Foundry Co.

Second photo - my personal favorites pre-Griswold “Erie” frying pans and skillet. Three of them are first series Erie that can date back to the 1880’s. The chrome plated is a later series circa 1907. These skillets are lighter than any other cast iron I’ve picked up and have incredibly smooth finishes.

Third photo - a few specialty items and including a waffle iron and a no. 12 Skillet, both Favorite Piqua Ware. Wagner and Griswold bacon and egg skillets

Fourth photo - admitting many years ago I had a heavy metal problem, I justified continued buying/searching but only no. 3 or smaller. Here are few of the more rare or difficult to find. A Wagner “pizza” logo, a Griswold “Cliff Cornell”, Good Health, unmarked Volrath

Fifth photo - a bell my wife and I received from my parents as a wedding gift many years ago, cast in a foundry in Bar Harbor, Maine

I have more vintage skillets, griddles and a couple of flat bottom kettles, tea kettle and other items. I don’t actively search anymore since the prices sky rocketed about a decade ago but I’m regularly tempted. I hold out for the pre-Griswold Erie pieces…mostly…if I stay strong and walk away.

Nice collection, Greg!

I’m no longer actively acquiring pieces for my collection. On those rare occasions I’m near vintage cast iron for sale I often search for a Griswold or Wagner Ware Sidney O #4
You can find them online but I think a big part of cast iron collecting is finding what you’re looking for on a dusty shelf. Wife found a 4 in Buena Vista CO however I never went to look as the trout were hitting sculpins-hard.
It’s late in the game for me to collect one maker-one logo style. However, if I was just starting out I would probably lean that way. Reckon we’ll never know.

I must concur.She would be out of will immediately.

When I lived in Louisiana you’d see the large cast iron Gumbo Pots used for yard art, planters, landscaping etc. there are a couple here in The Panhandle. They actually look pretty cool whether chained and swinging, sitting upright or partially buried with a bias.

I’d forgiven her.

Lodge Cast Iron. Lodge makes an excellent product at a great price. I have several modern lodge skillets, Dutch Oven, Bean Pot, 2 Loaf pans, a press. Probably more. ATTST Lodge is a solid product.
Good stuff

Is that Aluminum? Regardless according to Wagner History link below if it only says Wagner that was some of their early pieces, and as Im sure you know if it says Made In USA those are the newest. Metal type, logo can help establish a range of dates.
Very cool piece

https://www.booniehicks.com/wagner-cast-iron/

Yes, cast aluminum.
I've used it once to do cornbread, I want to try meatloaf next.
Paul B

Mixed bag

I have good and cheap. The four skillets are from harbor freight and 15-20 years old. Not really sure when I got the griddle or how old it is. There are no markings and it's at least 30 years old. The Le Creuset 26 is about 13 years old. In the pot is a healthier version of chicken and sausage gumbo.

(We are refreshing our kitchen and not done the counter top and backsplash.)

Last edited:
No pictures, but mine collection is limited to newer lodges as I just got into cooking on cast iron a year or two ago: (2) 12 in lodge skillets, a 10 in skillet, and a 5 quart Dutch oven.

Nothing fancy, but they are a joy to cook on. Not quite as nonstick as a brand new Teflon or ceramic coated pan, but with a good seasoning built up they are sure as heck better than a decently used “nonstick” pan and way more versatile.

These are the ones hanging up out in the pantry, with my first Ware that I need to clean up a bit first.
I also have a lodge 12” in the 5W and 2 lodge Dutch ovens, one is enamel, plus 2-3 smaller lodge pans not pictured.

Attachments

• 17AE3EFD-3078-4E4C-8363-5ABF9EF1AB67.jpg
    17AE3EFD-3078-4E4C-8363-5ABF9EF1AB67.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 49
Back