Mom said her cornbread is sticking

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
That’s unacceptable. Touching up the Seasoning on a Wagner Ware Sidney O (which I own three) vintage cast iron skillet for Mom. The one she has been using makes her cornbread stick. ������

Last edited:
I wish I still had the before photo of this piece from a few years ago. Man it was rough.

On the stove top? What is your choice of oil? I have yet to master cast iron seasoning to get non stick surface

It’s just a touch up with Crisco. I rehabilitated this piece several years ago. It was seasoned in oven and cannot remember which oil I used. This Looks hotter than it is. I’ll fry some bacon here at house and then take it to Moms and we’ll cook some cornbread. She loves home made cornbread crumbled in milk. I can’t remember doing that combo myself I also cannot remember her not doing it. It may be her oven, her recipe I just don’t know.
Good project

On the stove top? What is your choice of oil? I have yet to master cast iron seasoning to get non stick surface

Fry bacon- leave grease in pan eat bacon
When cool place greasy pan in fridge

Next day heat pan in medium heat-drain and wipe with paper towel

Fry bacon-leave grease in pan eat bacon
When cool place greasy pan in fridge

Every day for a week every week for a month every month for a year.
bludawg

Works on vintage cast iron without the modern non stick surfaces

If your cast iron is newer preseasoned I’m not sure how this will work

Bottom line, I asked my Mom one time how they seasoned their cast iron and kept them seasoned. Her reply was cast iron skillets and Dutch ovens weren’t collector pieces. They were used every day for cooking. Baking-frying etc they were used every day. She also said most everyone she knew used a #8 for everything from evening meals to pineapple upside down cake. So she might make a cornbread, then a skillet meal-then a pineapple upside down cake would go into the oven while we ate supper. Same #8 skillet.

...She loves home made cornbread crumbled in milk. I can’t remember doing that combo myself I also cannot remember her not doing it.

16, what are you saying? Cornbread and sweet milk is required. I make cornbread just for it. Listen to Mom young man.

You did not ask but my suggestion is to strip it down a bit and reseason with grapeseed oil. Maybe finish with avocado.

It’s just a touch up with Crisco. I rehabilitated this piece several years ago. It was seasoned in oven and cannot remember which oil I used. This Looks hotter than it is. I’ll fry some bacon here at house and then take it to Moms and we’ll cook some cornbread. She loves home made cornbread crumbled in milk. I can’t remember doing that combo myself I also cannot remember her not doing it. It may be her oven, her recipe I just don’t know.
Good project

I love the cornbread crumbled up in milk too but I go with buttermilk,not sweet milk.Bulgarian style buttermilk is my favorite.

I have a couple of CI skillets that are in need of some love. I may need to block out some time. I have one of those glass topped stoves (seemed a good idea at the time) and my CI does not get used as much as I'd like, sadly.

Grandma loved her cornbread and milk. When I was 5 or 6, we'd sit on her back porch and have a bowl together. Will remember that forever.

I don't have it very often anymore- but if we have left overs....yeah buddy.

I have a couple of CI skillets that are in need of some love. I may need to block out some time. I have one of those glass topped stoves (seemed a good idea at the time) and my CI does not get used as much as I'd like, sadly.h

Grandma loved her cornbread and milk. When I was 5 or 6, we'd sit on her back porch and have a bowl together. Will remember that forever.

I don't have it very often anymore- but if we have left overs....yeah buddy.

Through no fault of her own my wife will at times have trouble grabbing and lifting so she grasps and slides. Better than grabbing lifting and dropping. Told her not to worry about it. This top is 12 years old so if we ever sold the house Id just get another top installed prior to listing. But no plans to go anywhere.

About 12 years ago we replaced kitchen with all new appliances, countertops sink faucet backsplash pretty much everything except cabinets and floors. The cabinets and floors we had lightly sanded and refinished.

12 years later the Microwave makes a n occasionally weirdly noise, the stove top is light scratched the dishwasher leaks a tablespoon of water if you open the door during a cycle, the caulk where the travertine meets the granite is separating a bit in places.

And my 89 year old mother’s cornbread is sticking in her CrackerBarrel CI Skillet

Life

Last edited:
Love baked cornbread and sweet milk. My mom wants buttermilk with her cornbread and I do take some to the nursing home for her I have to say baked cornbread because I married a flatlands girl and she makes fried cornbread. It's good with a lot of things but not milk.

Love baked cornbread and sweet milk. My mom wants buttermilk with her cornbread and I do take some to the nursing home for her I have to say baked cornbread because I married a flatlands girl and she makes fried cornbread. It's good with a lot of things but not milk.

Your Mom has the right idea!

Back