Lodge Cast Iron Biscuit Pan

Blizzard

Full Fledged Farker
Last Fall, I was in Sevierville, TN, and went to the Lodge factory store there. It's right beside the big Smokey Mountain Knife Works Store. I bought this Lodge biscuit pan.
lX5DDjVl.jpg

Man is it nice. There was a learning curve, but not difficult to master. My wife is a baker, and she fell in love with this pan. She developed her own buttermilk recipe and I gotta say, they are delicious. They aren't flaky, but they are really buttery with just the right amount of chewiness. Crisp on the outside and incredible with some more butter and jelly. The biscuits don't stick to the pan at all.

She made some biscuits for Easter breakfast. I've got a small collection of Cast Iron, and she uses this old Griswold Popover pan to make some small biscuits alongside the Lodge pan, which makes pretty good sized biscuits. I'd say they are about the size of a packaged hamburger bun from the store.
SvvP7sRl.jpg

looking great and love homemade biscuits , i make mine in a cast iron skillet like my Grandma taught me .

They definitely will NOT cook the same in a non-cast iron pan. Yes, we’ve tried. Same recipe, same oven. The non cast iron pans just don’t develop the crust on the biscuits the same. They are more like A good bread...nice; but definitely not a biscuit.

I have one too, they are really nice for both drop biscuits and hand cut ones too. When you cook the store bought Grands that are frozen in the bags, the heat of the cups makes for incredible rise. That pan is a win-win situation.

Blizzard said:
My wife is a baker, and she fell in love with this pan. She developed her own buttermilk recipe and I gotta say, they are delicious. They aren't flaky, but they are really buttery with just the right amount of chewiness. Crisp on the outside and incredible with some more butter and jelly. The biscuits don't stick to the pan at all.

I suck at making biscuits. Any chance she'd share the recipe?

I would like the recipe too please, they look great

I’ll have to ask what the recipe is. But I’m afraid it’s just a little of this and some of that...she doesn’t measure. Interestingly though, it’s the same every time. Sorry...

I’ll have to ask what the recipe is. But I’m afraid it’s just a little of this and some of that...she doesn’t measure. Interestingly though, it’s the same every time. Sorry...
It doesn't hurt to ask. Perhaps you could be a recorder and jot down notes while she throws together a batch. Our tastebuds are waitin'. And we've got butter and jelly and honey and fatties and bacon and, and, and....

Thanks,

Robert

Those look great. I love my CI biscuit pan. Gotta track down a CI pop-over pan. That would be great as once heated, it won't cool down too quickly while adding the badder.

This looks amazing. I want one. I've been using my small cast-iron pan (8 inch) and it's been great. Thanks for sharing.

Back