THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I own the MOAB and just love her. Quality construction all the way. As for cooking, she is stable as a rock. Lots of room in the big ol vert chamber. Luv it. Plus Dave is a good guy.

From the first time I saw a pic of a Klose BYC I've wanted one. It has the classic pit look with a horizontal and vertical chamber. The 1/2" firebox he offers is sweet!

As I feel I must whenever this question comes up, I wanted to point out that Lonestar pits makes very high quality stick burners that are also very affordable compared to some other brands. Tom and the rest of the guys at Lonestar are also top notch and excellent people. If you are looking for a stick burner, wanting top quality, and wanting to watch the wallet, I highly recommend them.

Bigdog, as The Beast is very similar to the MOAB, I'd love to talk to you about the two pits at some point. I commissioned The Beast as my own creation before I heard of MOAB and really like the design. Since then they have built 2-3 more, and I think it performs well, DK has a cople of similar pits available now including a 36x36, and Ritch sells something similar as well.

dmp

I own the MOAB and just love her. Quality construction all the way. As for cooking, she is stable as a rock. Lots of room in the big ol vert chamber. Luv it. Plus Dave is a good guy.
You are answering your own post? :confused: Feeling a little schizo eh?

Klose and Lang are great products and both Great Guys (Dave and Ben). Couldn't go wrong with either and will pass them down to the kids.

I own 2 Klose pits, the mobile is a 30"X8' long horizontal with an upright!
When I get it up to temp, I feed it a quarter or half of a log depending on the diameter about every hour and a half.
My pit is 3/8" thick and holds heat extreemly well unless its raining or the wind is blowing over 40 mph.
Cooking in the winter also requires more fuel to get up to temp and more frequent feedings of logs.
My pit is also tuned......plates underneath that even out the heat for more even temperatures.
The upright is tuned to run 25 degrees cooler than the horizontal.

This rig weights about 6 thousand pounds empty and tows down the road like a dream.

Ive seen other makes of pits at comps where they have to feed the fire every half hour and they are constantly adjusting intakes and exhausts vents to maintain desired cooking temps.
Once my pit is dialed in I dont make any more adjustments, just open the door and toss in a log, good to go.

If I were going to purchase another offset pit, Dave Klose would get my order hands down.

Any other questions about my pit, please ask away.

Last edited:
That's great to hear bull, and I'm very glad you enjoy your pit. And the biggest thing Dave has going in my opinion is his customer service. I've never talked to a nicer, more helpful person, especially in retail!

Met Dave at a cooking class earlier this year and he is a very nice guy, never said anything negative about any other type of pits or pitbuilders. If you can imagine it (and pay for it) he'll probably build it for you! He got a big kick out of my friend Larin's two 96 gallon Drum Smokers- I had to get a pic of them!

IMG_0314.jpg

He said it more than a few times-"it don't matter what you cook on, its all about friends, family and BBQ"

He said it more than a few times-"it don't matter what you cook on, its all about friends, family and BBQ"

Great quote... I only met him once... It was an experience... He broke out into Japanese on my cell phone to talk to Phil, shook Sledneck's son's hand with some really psycho, bizarre gang type hand shake and told me a fascinating, lengthy story of his times cooking BBQ for made men in the the mafia.

Great stuff... If and when I get a stickburner again, I lean to a Klose.

Ran into Dave at the American Royal, I must have said something wrong.
He non verbally threatned me. He he he.

Untitled.jpg

Bull - got any pics of your Klose pits to share ? Don't recall seeing them on here before.

I've been itching for a new stickburner to go with the BGE's, but I think I'm gonna wait until "Body By Phil" looks to sell his BYC and get the special moderator sale price. :icon_blush:

100_3062.jpg

Picture of Billy/Fatboyz and I standing in front of my mobile Klose.

BBQ2009021.jpg

Cooking 5 cases of pork butts at Eagle Park Fair for sandwiches.

Last edited:
Ive seen some monter Klose pits at contests and in Daves photo albums that he travels with.

I know you cook for the masses, mine is a tad small for that one.

Was re-listening to a '06 podcast with Dave Klose... He is asked who he thinks makes the best smokers if he wasn't around and answers the question as follows (and then goes into talking about quality and mass of steel etc)..

"Somebody had asked be about one of those Big Green Eggs the other day...

"What do you think ?"

I said "Am I building it ?"

"No."

"Well, If it was better, I would be building it".

Not trying to make anything out of it.. just found it interesting and what I would have expected him to say.

Last edited:
Back