THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Okay, thanks a lot guys. By the way, do you guys use all of these pits or just know that they are good? If you do, I would love to hear why, if there is anything in particular, or if it is just a great pit in general. Thanks so much!

I don't own any of the pits discussed so far, but I have cooked on a Klose Backyard Chef and a Lang and both are great to cook on. I also know many folks on the competition trail who use Spicewines, Klose, Meadow Creek, Lang, Backwoods and Stumps and have talked to them about their pits. You hear very few bad remarks about any of these. If someone says something bad it is usually related to the size of the pit instead of the design or manufacturer quality.

20 tops, I would say I'll be cooking for 3-6 BIG eaters. So as much as I would love to get an overkill monster, I don't think that it is in the cards! Again, thank you all so much.

Visualize your budget. And make a decision based upon your needs plus your budget. There are many factors you need to consider. A pit you can set and forget, or an actual hands on pit. I love stick burners, but I am looking at the FEC for useability. I need the FEC for those cooks when I am preparing for larger parties and have many other things going on.

Heck i've cooked for 200 on two drums, but it was a PIA.

Okay, well I think I am leaning heavily towards a stick burner. I have one now that is decent, but very easy to use. So I am looking for the real deal I guess you could say!

I am looking for a backyard pit, I'm not really sure on the budget, I'm just going to try and find the best pit for me and see if I can make it work.

Freight will be an issue where you live. I do know that Dave makes runs out there with multiple cookers on a goose neck. That might help with the price.

All the manufacturers mentioned make back yard models.

Yeah, freight would be a lot, Dave told me about 545, next time I get on the phone with him I plan on asking if he'll make any trips soon,

I looked at Klose and other offset a lot, but decided I wanted ease of use and better temp control over the winter. I ended up ordering a gravity fed Superior Smoker and my team mate did the same (getting them in the next couple of weeks). Cost of fuel for a long burn (and during comp season, sick of going through the amount of lump we did this year), need to attend, etc. were some of my big factors, and given the smaller size, the footprint isn't going to be bad. Plus I know I can move it around my yard and onto a BBQ comp trailer with ease. I'd take a look at the gravity feds if you haven't, although hard to go wrong with Klose

Thanks to everybody for all the help, the only thing is now I have way more smokers to look at before I make my decision! But at least this way I will know that I made the right choice. Thank you all for taking the time to help me out.

I would like to be able to compare my Diamond Plate 60 to a Klose, but I can't drop anymoe $$$$ on toys(for the time being!). But for what I've been able do on the Diamond Plate since I got it, I really like it. Takes a fair amount of work, but aint that some of the fun??....(Playin' with fire!).
I have little trouble holding temps, has a huge amount of grill space,
Clean up is a breeze, and it's rather light and easy to tow. It does however like to consume a fair amount of fuel:lol::lol:

There are others I'm sure that have more experience than I have cooking on
the Diamond plate pits, and the Klose pits, so I'm sure you'll get some good info here....You're in the right place man!

firecrackerjack:mrgreen:

Dave Klose was a pleasure to deal with. He will talk your ear off. He and his staff welcomed me and my family into his shop/office and made us feel at home. We made a deal on the phone for a reconditioned pit after I emailed him. He held the pit for over a month until I could pic it up on just a phone conversation. I didn't even put any $ down. He's a great guy with a great product.

Okay, and about the Diamond Plate pits, do they have a backyard model not on a trailer? I looked on the website and did not see it, but I may just not be smart enough to find it!

Okay, and about the Diamond Plate pits, do they have a backyard model not on a trailer? I looked on the website and did not see it, but I may just not be smart enough to find it!

Sorry Big Dog, I didn't read the whole thread. Don't really know if Diamond Plate pits makes a backyard pit....Mine's trailer mounted, for turnin' out a lot of Que'....I'm sure you'll find what you need....:lol::lol:

firecrackerjack

Okay, well thanks for the thought, at least I can check one of em off my list to look at! They do look like great pits and I'm glad you enjoy it.

I had a pitts and spitts for about 2 years and liked it...I had a stumps for 2 years and liked it as well. If I was going with another offset, I would certainly have Klose at the very top of the list - they don't get much better imo

I have Gator and just love it. Ritch is a pleasure to work with. I would highly recommend them. Mine is a trailer I use for comps and is just a great to cook on.

Okay, well thanks for the thought, at least I can check one of em off my list to look at! They do look like great pits and I'm glad you enjoy it.

I used a couple of vertical smokers for a few years and decided I needed :cool: a horizontal stick burner so picked up a used Klose and love it. I was told that the thicker the steel the better the pit maintained temp so make sure you get at least 1/4 inch steel.

I really like the grill on the firebox too.

Klose1.JPG

Klose9.JPG

Make sure you show us pics of your new pit.

I used a couple of vertical smokers for a few years and decided I needed :cool: a horizontal stick burner so picked up a used Klose and love it. I was told that the thicker the steel the better the pit maintained temp so make sure you get at least 1/4 inch steel.

I really like the grill on the firebox too.

Klose1.JPG

Klose9.JPG

Make sure you show us pics of your new pit.

Sweet!!!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

firecrackerjack

Back