THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forgot to mention this but Big D. Klose told me if I wanted to I could use my tuned 30" X 8' pit as a big charcoal grill.
Just slide out the bottom racks, and load the tops of the tuning plates with charcoal and fire them up.
That would make one big steak grill for sure.
Just another option I have at my disposal.

My experience with stick burners is very limited, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

On this Klose, what exactly is the upright box on the smoker? Does this part get as hot as the main chamber? If it does get as hot, why do this upright chamber instead of just extending the main chamber (maybe do an 8 foot barrel instead of 6)?

I'm also thinking that it could just be a spot to throw the cooked meat to keep it warm before serving?

http://bbqpits.com/mobile_cookoff_and_catering_rigs/2x6_w_uprt_pg1_2009.jpg

My experience with stick burners is very limited, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

On this Klose, what exactly is the upright box on the smoker? Does this part get as hot as the main chamber? If it does get as hot, why do this upright chamber instead of just extending the main chamber (maybe do an 8 foot barrel instead of 6)?

I'm also thinking that it could just be a spot to throw the cooked meat to keep it warm before serving?

http://bbqpits.com/mobile_cookoff_and_catering_rigs/2x6_w_uprt_pg1_2009.jpg

My upright is tuned to cook at 225 degrees while the horizontal chamber cooks at 250 degrees.
It was built to my specs. I can cook sausage at a lower temp after the main meats have been for for hours, just add them about half an hour before the main meats are done.

I could have extended the horizontal chamber which would add more cost and weight due to a longer frame for my pit.

The upright temps on my pit would contine to cook the meats even more at my desired temps.

The vertical chamber is definitely cooler. On my big pit (not a Klose) I like to cook butts in the vertical chamber and briskets/ribs on the cooler side of the horizontal chamber and chicken and sausage on the hot side of the horizontal.

I talked to Dave and he said it was designed for the temps to be 270/170 but with the baffle mod the upright would increase about 40 degrees. He designed the upright for slow smoking fish/jerky/etc, but at 210 it would work for sausage fairly well I would think.

A few days ago I submitted a request for a catalog and left my phone number and then got a call from Dave yesterday. Spoke with him for damn near 30 minutes and now I understand what everyone means when they talk about phone conversations with Dave.

Anyways, he'll actually be right near my town to deliver a 30 foot 5 1/2 ton locomotive smoker/pizza oven (will cook at 1100*!). He told me to come down and check it out. Ironically however, when Dave is in my town dropping off this monster smoker, I'll be driving through Houston and was planning on stopping by the Klose factory to check out some pits.

In case you guys haven't seen/heard of this smoker, it's really impressive. It has a Honda EU3000IS generator, auto refilling air compressor, train horn, 100 year old 14" brass train bells, etc.

image002xx.jpg

Back