THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There is already a group in NC that cook NC Pork Council events for whole hog that cook with gas mainly. There cookers are inspected before each contest for safety, condition, and cleanliness. Allowing in gas will add another need as far as safety goes but the added competitors will be good for the sport. Let'em in!

Here's my opinion on the matter, taking into question what the opinion of a member matters on a BBS thread, though some new BOD members may read this...:)

The competitor in me says that as long as some are allowed to use pellet poopers and draft controlled charcoal baskets, why shouldn't propane or electric be allowed? Electric would have to worry about current, and would probably have to bring an expensive, quiet generator or pay for the 50A service like RVs, but I don't see either one offering any advantage that pellets and draft control don't already provide. They might even have some disadvantage based on the chemistry of how propane combusts. Regardless, I'd say let them in.

Then the safety nut, father of two listens to what others have said, I have some concerns for myself and others about the use of propane. I agree with what some others have said that propane should only be used safely, and some of the scenarios and possibilities make me wonder....

And then I realize that there are thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands of propane cooking devices sold each year in this country. Some of them are grills, some are in-door ovens, some are out-door "BBQ machines," and many more. If it was really as possible to blow one's self up with a propane cooking device, with all the ones that exist out there, I'm sure it would be a lot more prevalent than it is. Considering Ole Hickory and Southern Pride Propane cookers used at fund-raisers and vending events, NCPC competitions, and every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a propane grill or smoker who uses one in the back yard, there just isn't some epidemic of explosions as some would have me believe. I'm not sure that I think explosions are imminent as soon as propane is allowed. In fact, propane is already used at many competitions in the way of RV fridges, turkey fryers, water heaters, weed burners....where are the explosions?

All this is to say I'm not saying propane should be allowed without any restrictions: I could see the value in requiring a thermocouple on all propane devices to prevent gas flooding. I could see banning rubber and requiring metal for all LPG tubing. I could even see the requirement of some inspection and certification program. Essentially, if a set of requirements are good enough for an in-door propane oven or a CTO, it should be good enough for a BBQ competition, but that's me. Bring it, and let's be safe about it.

Thanks,

dmp

And then I realize that there are thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands of propane cooking devices sold each year in this country. Some of them are grills, some are in-door ovens, some are out-door "BBQ machines," and many more. If it was really as possible to blow one's self up with a propane cooking device, with all the ones that exist out there, I'm sure it would be a lot more prevalent than it is.

Last year, nearly 18,000 people were sent to U.S. emergency rooms because of grilling-related accidents, according to estimates from the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

100701-bbqfire-vlrg-10a.grid-4x2.jpg

Its one thing to use a weed burner for 5 minutes, a fryer for an hour, or grilling a steak for 20 minutes. Those Ole Hickorys are professional builds, used by professional cooks. The danger does not come from those, the danger comes from home builds and misuse of propane by people who are tired, drinking, and not properly trained. 18,000 people can attest to that last year...

All due respect Neil, but there are three kinds of untruths in the world: lies, damn lies, and statistics. 18,000 ER visits does not equate to any exploded LP tanks. That picture you posted...I'm pretty sure it's a training excercise. Regardless, I never said that it was impossible, just not as prevelant as was proclaimed....and don't forget, I did say that safety precautions should be put to use. I doubt every one who uses a gas oven is sober and well rested. Just sayin....

dmp

Great debate

What we have are two points that are being discussed. One is safety by allowing a new heat source and the other is providing a competitive advantage via a thermostatically controlled heat source. Here is my nickel’s worth of opinion.

Safety - no matter what heat source is used safety must be paramount at any event that gathers a population in a confined space. I've seen it first hand. An offset unit fired by lump and a close bag lump ignite and then ignite a can of butane. The off duty police officer patrolling the grounds had the butane can land at his feet roughly 40 yards away... It really doesn't matter what you use if you do not pay attention someone can get hurt.

Competitive nature - A propane grill is heat source controlled by a thermostatically controlled device or valve. Seems similar to a pellet pooper -KCBS legal, or a wood/charcoal fire controlled by a draft induction system (Guru, Stoker, IQUE 110) - again all legal. Look at many of the new smokers today they are fully insulated and air tight to control oxygen entering the fire box causing a non controlled burn. At the end of the day it's about the appearance, taste and tenderness ranking from a totally subjective group of judges. These devices just take the fire management out of human hands so we can focus on flavoring, and tenderness. If we didn't have these tools available to us we would have less teams and interest in the sport of competitive BBQ. I'm sure there are many that enjoy this as a hobby and others as a supplemental income source, (good luck with that).

I say let them in if they pass saftey testing and see if the techniques change where you have a hybrid approach to cooking. Those already using the insulated fire boxes and cookers with draft induction controlled fire are already enjoying the benefits of the available technology.

So...how many of you start your pits with weed burners...I'm not hearing anyone scream about safety inspections for what they're hooked up to...give me a break...:tsk: Stupid is as stupid does...there is no safety inspection for stupid...:cool:

All due respect Neil, but there are three kinds of untruths in the world: lies, damn lies, and statistics. 18,000 ER visits does not equate to any exploded LP tanks. That picture you posted...I'm pretty sure it's a training excercise. Regardless, I never said that it was impossible, just not as prevelant as was proclaimed....and don't forget, I did say that safety precautions should be put to use. I doubt every one who uses a gas oven is sober and well rested. Just sayin....

dmp

I miss our debates Rance...:becky:

The National Fire Protection Association claims that “more than 6,100 accidental fires and explosions occur [each year] due to the improper use of grills, resulting in 20,000 emergency room visits and $29.1 million of estimated damage.”
Furthermore, approximately 20 deaths each year are attributed to propane fires and explosions associated with gas grills.
There are two reasons why there are so many injuries and deaths caused by propane gas grills: “venting” and “odor fade.”
First, the mechanics of a common household propane tank need to be understood. When propane tanks are exposed to excessive heat, the gas itself expands. If there is not enough room in the tank to accommodate the expanded gas, a pressure release valve will open in order to allow propane gas to be emitted from the tank. This is called “venting.” It typically occurs when the internal tank pressure exceeds 375 PSI and prevents the tank from exploding.
When venting occurs, a pungent odor should be present. Propane is an odorless gas; the “rotten eggs” smell most people associate with propane is actually provided by ethyl mercaptan, an additive which is mixed with propane gas to alert users of a leak. The problem arises when gas is released from the tank during venting, but there is no odor. This is known as “odor fade.”
Once the ethyl mercaptan becomes undetectable, propane leaks can place users in grave danger. There have been several cases against propane gas grill manufacturers where consumers have been injured or killed while transporting propane tanks, or when operating gas grills in areas that were not properly ventilated, because of leaks they did not detect.
Problems with odor fade have plagued the propane industry for decades, because the odor of ethyl mercaptan dissipates over time. The length of time varies, depending on such factors as the age and condition of the tank, but studies have shown that ethyl mercaptan can significantly dissipate within five to seven days after a propane tank has been filled and may become undetectable within just three weeks.

BLEVE - Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion

The term BLEVE is well known among firefighters and hazardous materials response teams and does not solely refer to propane tanks. A BLEVE occurs when the pressure in the tank exceeds that at which the safety relief valve can safely vent the excess pressure into the outside atmosphere. Relief valves are designed to vent tank pressure at a certain flow rate to the outside atmosphere once the pressure inside the propane tank reaches a certain level and will close once the pressure in the tank falls below that level.
Let's look at a simple example involving something we're all familiar with, a plastic 3 liter soft drink bottle. The soft drink bottle has a 1/4" hole drilled in its side (about the same diameter as the cord on your mouse). This hole functions as the safety relief valve. If you were to blow air into the bottle through the top after unscrewing the cap, the excess pressure in the bottle would be relieved through the opening in the bottle's side causing no damage to the bottle. Now, suppose you attached an air hose that screwed onto the bottle top forming a tight seal and the air hose was supplied by a large air compressor. Turning the air compressor on starts the flow of air into the bottle which in turn creates more pressure than the small hole (relief valve) in the side of the bottle can keep up with. The plastic bottle starts to expand and eventually ruptures. The reason the bottle ruptures is that the amount of increasing pressure inside the bottle is far greater and exceeds that at which the small hole allows to escape. The pressure in the bottle is increasing faster than it can escape through the "relief valve".
Propane BLEVE
A propane tank BLEVE will occur when the container is subject to extreme heat, such as in a fire. While the tank is being heated, the liquid propane inside is being heated causing it to expand. The safety relief valve will open allowing pressure to vent to the outside atmosphere. If the pressure inside the tank grows to a level exceeding that at which the safety relief valve can expel it from the tank, the propane tank may rupture. If flames or a source of ignition is present, the propane will ignite resulting in an explosion. It's important to know that a BLEVE will occur only if the conditions are right, such as being subject to continuous flame impingement over a period of time. The possibility of a propane tank explosion (BLEVE) is extremely remote but not unheard of.

So a safety valve vents a heated tank next to a smoker into the outside air...air with the open flames of BBQ Pits all around??? Possible gas with no odor due to "odor fade" sure its a long shot I'm talking about

but will charcoal and wood explode?

I count 6 people in this conversation that have seen a propane accident...
Thats about 15% of us in this thread. Now apply that to 5200 teams and hundreds of contests...

Just my 2 cents

I dont care if they do or not but I have been at 2 comps since we have been competing where people have had tanks blow up and hope that they make some safety rules that are enforcable.

What size tanks?

20 years on the fire dept. I saw a few tanks blow up and the fireball is huge.

So...how many of you start your pits with weed burners...I'm not hearing anyone scream about safety inspections for what they're hooked up to...give me a break...:tsk: Stupid is as stupid does...there is no safety inspection for stupid...:cool:

I use a weed burner...for 2 minutes to start my fire. It then goes into a plastic milk crate on the other side of my camp away from the fire. Unlike a smoker that will have that tank no more than a few feet away. In MBN and at Memphis in May there is a safety inspection of propane tanks. Where they are stored and what they are stored in...and you can't cook with propane, only wood and charcoal.

We are talking about having a solid 12+ hours of continuous propane usage...that is why drunk stupid guy at 4am shouldn't have propane next to me and my gear:becky:

Just a few more things, and then I think I'll have said my peace: As I've said twice before, I think approprate safety measures should be taken such as thermocouples, melt resistant tubing, and appropriate placement of fuel sources. I think this should be applied to all LPG used on site at a comp, not just cooker fuel sources, so it could make things safer. Next, when you take into account appropariate fuel sources and the fact that BBQ competitions happen outside, the chances of a lot of what you have to say happening drop. Outside has space for the "heavy" propane to spread out on the ground, and if you keep your fuel source far enough away from fire...well, I don't know what the odds become, but it's a lot lower than inside.

dmp

EDIT: I forgot to say this: you may not agree with me on either the competition or the safety aspect. That's fine. This is just my opinion. Love or leave it, but please respect it.

Lots of good comments on both sides.

And everyone is still civil with each other. That's what I love about the Brethren site.
Tolerance and respect. Both seem to be in short supply today. Bravo for the Brethren!

I looked around the room in the rules meeting, and saw less than 50 members.
Checking this thread that started this morning - 67 have commented, 1200 have looked
and 35 are looking at the thread as I type this. That is the kind of exposure and participation that I was hoping for when I started this thread. Thank you Brethren
and you hidden guests that are lurking.

We are not done here are we???

At several local PNWBA events they have a amateur contest that runs the first day. The contestants can use whatever fuel source they wish and they get judged by certified judges the same way the pro contest is judged. It's on the first day of the contest and they get around 4 hours to cook. The winner gets a traeger and are encouraged to come out and cook with the pros.

I am opposed for safety reasons only. If allowed, all cookers using LP should have an automatic shutoff installed.

I can see it now, someone leaving the gas assist on a stickburner to get a few winks. Fire goes out, propane is on with no flame with the door to cooker closed and boom!! Somebody get pieces of the cooker door in their site or even worse their body :mad:

If they allow gas, it should only be allowed on properly manufactured, certified equipment to ensure proper safety. No homemade pits with jury rigged set-ups. Then, when some smart pit makers perfect a good gas smoker that is priced right for competitors, many of the people hear may be cooking on gas in a few years. Pellet cookers didn't take off overnight, but, are very common now.

I am opposed for safety reasons only. If allowed, all cookers using LP should have an automatic shutoff installed.

I can see it now, someone leaving the gas assist on a stickburner to get a few winks. Fire goes out, propane is on with no flame with the door to cooker closed and boom!! Somebody get pieces of the cooker door in their site or even worse their body :mad:

Your posted reminded me of that horrible accident that happened to River City Smokehouse a few years ago with the gas assist on his Bates pit... I think the flame went out on the log lighter and gas got trapped and after airing out and re-lighting it exploded and the pit doors blew off and put him in the hospital with shattered knee.

Scary stuff...

At several local PNWBA events they have a amateur contest that runs the first day. The contestants can use whatever fuel source they wish and they get judged by certified judges the same way the pro contest is judged. It's on the first day of the contest and they get around 4 hours to cook. The winner gets a traeger and are encouraged to come out and cook with the pros.

This is a great way to get more "backyarders" involved. 99% of people will use a store bought grill with safety features. It also is relatively safe (a 4 hour cook time) and gives the winner a way to join the "big boys" on an approved fuel source.

If they don't already have it, add a gas bottle inspection and safety officers to make sure everyone is safe and, in my opinion, you have a winner for KCBS.

Kudos to the PNWBA.

Your posted reminded me of that horrible accident that happened to River City Smokehouse a few years ago with the gas assist on his Bates pit... I think the flame went out on the log lighter and gas got trapped and after airing out and re-lighting it exploded and the pit doors blew off and put him in the hospital with shattered knee.

Scary stuff...

Exactly and he was not drinking. It happened to me, warming up the pit prior to putting meat in the pit, soooo....

I went in the house for a few minutes and came out, saw what was going on, aired it, so I thought and boom, farking hair on the arms was gone :redface:

Good thing the door was open!:shock:

Before I was smoking meats... was surprised by an accident my Mom had nearly 20 years ago. Her patio sized gasser collected some spider webs during inactivity. She (nor myself) knew about it...

The spark ignitor did more than hit the burners... ignited the gas pockets too.

Grill goes boom.

Have heard more than one situation where (gas assist) smokers go boom.
Personally, won't go there.

Its an interesting read, not to sure if I would like people to bring home made contraptions to a competition for obvious reasons, but at the same time we have gas at pretty much every competition through our grilling circuit that runs alongside our PitMasters series.

There were a lot of people against the use of gas within the circuit but it is a crowd pleaser especially when you get them to take part. The advantage we have is that the events are small and I provide all of the grills and tanks so they are tested regularly.

Whether it would work for low and slow? Who knows, I have never tried to get the same amount of smoke into the food using a grill as I do on the WSM or FEC. I can picture someone after too many beers throwing a log on their grill........

Last edited:
I've been in this thing for about a year now and have much to learn..but here is what I do know.... Myself and most other cooks will use just about any and every technique and equipment deemed legal. Everyone knows the rules and will interpret them to make their best product for turn in. You guys are talking about boosted numbers at comps for more money, but in my first year I seen registration at a few comps over the number for the guaranteed minimum, but with promises of increased prize money for extra teams, they still paid minimum. I don't care what they say we can cook on, everyone pushes the envelope as much as they can to try to get ahead of the curve. Give us rules,we'll abide by them and it causes an increased number of participants.. Great, share the wealth with the people who are showing up every weekend and making these things possible. Without the cookers there are no contests.

Back