THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I respect all types of pits and their owners/cooks.
Brethrenly (is that a word?) thing to do.

But, that is just me.

TIM

bottom line is, lets have some fun... BBQ the best we can...have a beer...then BBQ some more and enjoy what you have just cooked and hope the judges are on the same page with you and enjoy the food you busted your arss over and you receive some calls!! Let us all come together and do some cooking! Like we know how to do..:crazy:

I guess I am not willing to let KCBS define what BBQ is to me any more than I am willing to let NASCAR define a stock car. There are a lot more people carrying on the tradition of BBQ than those who cook at KCBS events. No matter what KCBS eventually morphs in to, BBQ is defined in the hearts and souls of those who cook it. There are thousands of backyard BBQ cooks who don't even know that KCBS exists. I was one of those people not that long ago. I have been cooking low and slow on pits and bullets for many years and BBQ is more than just a meal to me it is something that runs much deeper - most of you know what I am talking about. I am passing it on to my children and will also pass it on to my grandchildren some day.

Heck, even those of us who have a passion for BBQ can't even define it. It certainly has evolved and I can fully understand how that can bring up deep emotions in people. To me, KCBS is a sanctioning body for contests that I want to compete in. While their mission statement seems to contain statements that they can't live up to, that probably fits the bill for 90% of all companies and organizations in the world today. For me, I like their choices of meat (although I never BBQ-ed chicken prior to KCBS and would much prefer sausage), their large number of contests to choose from, and the idea of pitting my skills against others who love to cook BBQ.

As long as I am enjoying the competition (with safety in mind as a lack there of would sure reduce the enjoyment) and I am judged on the same criteria as those who I am competing against, C'est la vie, I don't care how my neighbor chooses to define BBQ. Bring on your gas. I just want to whoop your azz (all in a competitive spirit of course) and have a good time with you while I do it:becky:

The day I stop competing I will probably still have the same definition of BBQ in my mind and soul as I do today (I am stubborn like that) and will have hopefully passed it down a generation or two. I certainly don't want them looking to KCBS for that definition. Traditions shouldn't be formed by organization or governments in my opinion. In fact, I believe it to be a contradiction.

I guess I am not willing to let KCBS define what BBQ is to me any more than I am willing to let NASCAR define a stock car. There are a lot more people carrying on the tradition of BBQ than those who cook at KCBS events. No matter what KCBS eventually morphs in to, BBQ is defined in the hearts and souls of those who cook it. There are thousands of backyard BBQ cooks who don't even know that KCBS exists. I was one of those people not that long ago. I have been cooking low and slow on pits and bullets for many years and BBQ is more than just a meal to me it is something that runs much deeper - most of you know what I am talking about. I am passing it on to my children and will also pass it on to my grandchildren some day.

Heck, even those of us who have a passion for BBQ can't even define it. It certainly has evolved and I can fully understand how that can bring up deep emotions in people. To me, KCBS is a sanctioning body for contests that I want to compete in. While their mission statement seems to contain statements that they can't live up to, that probably fits the bill for 90% of all companies and organizations in the world today. For me, I like their choices of meat (although I never BBQ-ed chicken prior to KCBS and would much prefer sausage), their large number of contests to choose from, and the idea of pitting my skills against others who love to cook BBQ.

As long as I am enjoying the competition (with safety in mind as a lack there of would sure reduce the enjoyment) and I am judged on the same criteria as those who I am competing against, C'est la vie, I don't care how my neighbor chooses to define BBQ. Bring on your gas. I just want to whoop your azz (all in a competitive spirit of course) and have a good time with you while I do it:becky:

The day I stop competing I will probably still have the same definition of BBQ in my mind and soul as I do today (I am stubborn like that) and will have hopefully passed it down a generation or two. I certainly don't want them looking to KCBS for that definition. Traditions shouldn't be formed by organization or governments in my opinion. In fact, I believe it to be a contradiction.

Very well said!!!:clap2:

Once again, Nascar has several classes of competition.
Different Vehicles for different races!

I would suggest people in charge start looking at some break off with this MONSTER KCBS. Look into groups. KCBS being the mothership and having more classifications for each event.

It is almost that time.
Even a simple split:
Pitmaster Class: Wood Only and Charcoal only. No Electronic Devices whatsoever.

Masters Open Class: Anything Goes "Which sounds like current state of affairs".

Lots of difficulty I am sure, but just saying. Something should be considered. Each event owner or host has the right to choose the style of comp.

That way if you register for a Master Open Event you know you are up against Fast eddys, Gurus, Propane or whatever the heck you cook on. Besides a stove.

When I say propane I am referring to the 10,000 dollar Southern Prides and Ole Hickorys or similar. Maybe not a Weber Genesis, but so what if you get whipped by a Team with a Weber gas grill. He obviously mastered that device and cooked some damn good food. Most likely I see people using that for Chicken!

Who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you can equate Nascar and KCBS at all. It is just not apples and apples. Yes, Nascar does have rules and restrictions. But lt's face it, technology abounds in Nascar, probably more than any sport. The people that are arguing against propane, pellet poopers, and electronic air flow controllers don't want any technology in the form of their smokers. They do however seem to be OK with some other forms of technology such as injections, foil, etc.

I don't think you can equate Nascar and KCBS at all. It is just not apples and apples. Yes, Nascar does have rules and restrictions. But lt's face it, technology abounds in Nascar, probably more than any sport. The people that are arguing against propane, pellet poopers, and electronic air flow controllers don't want any technology in the form of their smokers. They do however seem to be OK with some other forms of technology such as injections, foil, etc.

No Damn close to apples or the same tree. I was just using it as an example towards a point. Seperation is normal!

Ok then, Cooking Competitions will be my next example: This years Research Chefs Conevention they are pairing Research Chefs with ACF Chefs for a competition. Two different worlds. Both cooking food.
Different tools, techniques etc. Normally they compete in their own comps under their own rules. This is a fun experiment. Obviously you saw the poor showing of Chefs on Bravos Top Chef.
Would you say all Cooking Comps are the same? No they are not. You don't have Pastry Chefs showing up with their Chocolate tools for a Cold Foods Competition, hosted by ACF. It is still cooking. Yes different styles. These are just different examples. :clap2:

I can't wait for some corporate team to put a Alkar Smokehouse on a trailer and show up. Computer Staged Cooking with water temperature adjustments, Wood Smoke and Cycle Changes. Yes, Barbecue for the next generation. :crazy:

I am sure we are all about the future. You just can't keep argueing something when people are obviously cherry picking their own rules and opinions to what BBQ is or is not.

I am pretty sure people cooked BBQ Type Foods on LP gas a long time before BBQ competitions and Wood Pellets or Gurus came along. Like the 60's.
I think the 90's is when the pellet was introduced. So now what shoud we do?:doh:

I mention the part of KCB$' mission stement to " preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form..." as justification for my feeling that the sanctity of BBQ be maintained. Because it is in their mission statement.

you cannot ignore the actual rules and base your arguement solely on a mission statement. a mission statement is meant to be vague to encompass all that KCBS stands for. you are taking the mission statement, and using your definition of what "the sanctity" and "the purity" is and trying to hold KCBS to your standard. that just doesn't make sense to me. as with television, if you do not like what is on, then don't watch it, change the channel. i guarantee there are organizations that can accomodate the sanctity that you desire, it just isn't KCBS, and it probably never will be. with that being said, if you start a TMCMASTER Barbecue Society, please let me know, i would love to compete in your organization when i am not cooking KCBS. I would love to win there too.

Back