THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting, and for the most part civil, debate. There are a few primary issues that continue to stand out, and if you feel I've missed something important please let me know:becky:

1) Safety is a concern for some/many. Got it.
2) Some define BBQ as a product, and others believe that it's a process.
2a) For those defining it as a process, equipment becomes a very important part of their reasoning in some cases.
3) Somebody is going to be upset, no matter what happens.

Does that oversimplify the issue?

I think you hit it, except that for some of us, on question 2, it's not one or the other, but both, the combination. One without the other, IMHO and from my personal perspective, isn't barbecue.

For example, you can slow cook fish on as old-school a smoker as you'd like, using only wood from a tree you gnawed with your own teeth, and to me fish isn't barbecue, because as Diva said it, it's not a traditional food.

Conversely, a fresh ham which is part of traditional barbecue, grilled (which would probably be ghastly) or cured surely isn't barbecue.

I think it's both. Take one out and you have smoked something (that isn't barbecue) or you have grilled meat that otherwise could've been barbecue'd.

If I may, perhaps suggest this?:

1) Safety is a concern for some/many.

2) Some define BBQ as a product, and others believe that it's a process, and others think it's both.

2a) For those defining it as a process, equipment becomes a very important part of their reasoning in some cases.

2b) For those defining it as a product, equipment/fuel/etc isn't as important but the final product should be barbecue.

2c) For others it's the combination of the process of barbecuing as well as the traditional meats, the combination of which renders a product that is called "barbecue"

To #2 above, there's probably another group who really doesnt care about either; ie. KCBS could change tomorrow to 3 categories cooking catfish and quail and venison flanks over electric coils in iron skillets and they'd be fine with it...

Just to be clear on where I stand ont he issue, I really don't care either way if they allow gas or not, as long as the safety issues are addressed properly. I'm just getting into the world of competitive cooking as last year was my first full year for the most part. And I think that I did pretty well (all things considered) with my stick burner my first year out. And I used no special gadgets other than a thermometer. I don't plan on changing my approach any time soon either. But I also feel that if the line has already been blurred, you really can't stop from erasing it.

But my question still hasn't been answered...Did KCBS give the membership body and their opinions and feelings this much validity when it was decided to allow forced draft air systems and pellet cookers?

If I had a vote I would vote "no" but if they change the rule I'll just go about business as usual and I wont loose any sleep over it (uhm - since I burn sticks I guess I will:becky:). I would like to know the answer to CarolinaQue's question. For Pellet's I would have thought that it stirred about as much emotion as gas. How did that go down and what was the reaction? Just curious.

I'm not going to be upset if propane is not allowed, but if the reason is due to "purity of the sport" or "inherrent safety issues" (while still allowing other LP uses), I'll think it's BS. I think both of those ships sailed long ago. I could see it being a logistical issue of checking pits maybe. In the end though, I think putting it to a vote of the membership is stupid. It's like asking Republicans if registered Democrats should be allowed to vote in their primaries, or asking the NFLPA to vote on if college players should be allowed to join. Not gonna happen. I don't even think 100% Judges should have a say here, but I'm sure that'll get blood boiling....

dmp

If I had a vote I would vote "no" but if they change the rule I'll just go about business as usual and I wont loose any sleep over it (uhm - since I burn sticks I guess I will:becky:). I would like to know the answer to CarolinaQue's question. For Pellet's I would have thought that it stirred about as much emotion as gas. How did that go down and what was the reaction? Just curious.

If I remember correctly...

They deemed pellets were made of wood, and by the USDA Definition of BBQ that KCBS adopted, any wood or charcoal can be used to fire a cooker. Pellet cookers burn on their own, and don't use an electric burner to fire the pellets, so by definition they were deemed legal...

Interesting, and for the most part civil, debate. There are a few primary issues that continue to stand out, and if you feel I've missed something important please let me know:becky:

1) Safety is a concern for some/many. Got it.
2) Some define BBQ as a product, and others believe that it's a process.

Does that oversimplify the issue?

I would say #3 isn't really true. If they don't allow gas the purist will be happy and everyone else will just shrug and go on about their business. I've not really seen anyone in this thread say they would switch even if it were legal.

I would say #3 isn't really true. If they don't allow gas the purist will be happy and everyone else will just shrug and go on about their business. I've not really seen anyone in this thread say they would switch even if it were legal.

Wouldn't switch to using it as a primary heat source, but I bet a lot of folks would be using brulee torches to crisp up that farkin' chicken skin if it were to be allowed.

Would it also be legal to braise the meat in a pot of bbq sauce WHILE it is being heated by a propane stove?

Without seeing a specific proposed rule change (and I don't know that there is one) it would be impossible to say what would be allowed, but what you are describing is perfectly legal and possible now according to the rules as long as you use a wood fire to do it.

dmp

how about another perspective.

BBQ MUST be cooked outside. this is the determinor.

you CAN have propane inside, but, you CANNOT have a fire pit.

not sure i'm making sense...but do y'all get the idea?

basically what i;m saying is the last tie to "traditional" BBQ and KCBS competition BBQ may wind up being as simple as "food cooked outdoors".

basically what i;m saying is the last tie to "traditional" BBQ and KCBS competition BBQ may wind up being as simple as "food cooked outdoors".

And that would be a shame... Because you can infact move a gas oven outside. And, in my mind, pellet poopers and all the gadgetry are nothing more than ovens...:decision:

And that would be a shame... Because you can infact move a gas oven outside. And, in my mind, pellet poopers and all the gadgetry are nothing more than ovens...:decision:

agreed, but that doesn't mean it would have to be YOUR definition of BBQ.

just THEIR competition parameters.

really, when it comes down to it, that IS what traditional BBQ IS at its base, cooking outside. no more no less.

the fact that wood was used for fuel was a restriction of the times.

with that said...wood or coal cooked food artistry needs to be preserved as well.

Good grief....this thread makes me glad the contest season is just around the corner.:blah:

I go to a contest to compete, period...pitting my idea of what good bbq is against everyone else's idea of what good bbq is. I don't care what you cook or how you cook it, as long as it's within the rules. May the best cook win.

Outside of perhaps the safety issues, I have zero problem with propane or electric being used.

If any of you can point out the "fire tending" scores or the "sanctity of bbq" scores on my scoresheets, I'd be happy to give them some attention. Until then, I'll focus on only 3 things....appearance of my food, how it tastes, and how tender it is. The rest of this discussion is bbq off-season, internet forum, drama-filled bullchit.

IMO, If you don't show up at a bbq contest and use every tool, trick, and technique allowed within the rules to cook and present the best food you can possibly make, then you really aren't there to compete, you're just there to cook some meat....and that's fine by me.

Good grief....this thread makes me glad the contest season is just around the corner.:blah:

I go to a contest to compete, period...pitting my idea of what good bbq is against everyone else's idea of what good bbq is. I don't care what you cook or how you cook it, as long as it's within the rules. May the best cook win.

Outside of perhaps the safety issues, I have zero problem with propane or electric being used.

If any of you can point out the "fire tending" scores or the "sanctity of bbq" scores on my scoresheets, I'd be happy to give them some attention. Until then, I'll focus on only 3 things....appearance of my food, how it tastes, and how tender it is. The rest of this discussion is bbq off-season, internet forum, drama-filled bullchit.

IMO, If you don't show up at a bbq contest and use every tool, trick, and technique allowed within the rules to cook and present the best food you can possibly make, then you really aren't there to compete, you're just there to cook some meat....and that's fine by me.

I like your style.

Back