THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2. Have 2 racks of loin backs on the pit along with a naked fatty. Brisket tomorrow

A couple thoughts:

250-275 seems to be the sweet spot for this grill in terms of best flavor. A lot of white smoke at 225. Lumberjack pellets are just fine. I would like to try their 100%hickory or pecan. But the blend is really tasty. I will use B&B post oak tomorrow.

Really liking this cooker.

Holy cow I'm way behind! I was looking for separate posts from ya. That cooker seems to be treating ya right! I like 225-250 on my silverbac but i'm sure all of these pellet cookers are different

I think you need to build a second story to accumulate additional cookers ... or use the neighbor's patio space.

LOL. Nah I prefer maximum utility within a smaller footprint. All that said, If I were to add anything I would get a stickburner. I could walk to Klose from my house without breaking a sweat so they would be my first choice. But to be honest I love my current setup. No new grills on the horizon. For a while at least.

Holy cow I'm way behind! I was looking for separate posts from ya. That cooker seems to be treating ya right! I like 225-250 on my silverbac but i'm sure all of these pellet cookers are different

Yeah I keep rolling. Did a 12lb brisket today. Was busy cleaning gutters so wasn’t in the mood for taking pictures. Turned out good. Flavor was on par with Brisket cooked on my Primo. Better smoke ring on the RT though. Way easier. There is something to be said about turning the pit on and going about your day. I finished up the LJ pecan mix pellets today and moved into the B&B post oak for the majority of the cook. I think I like the smell of the Lumberjack a little more. The B&B really didn’t smell much like post oak. Not bad, just different. In the end, flavor was good.

No cooking for the next several days. Tons of leftovers to work through. Back in the office Monday.

As much as I like my pellet grill, and I do like it, I think I would sell it today and buy one of those masterbuilt 560s. But alas, the “war department “ would have my hide tacked to the garage door if I spent more money on another grill. Especially after I just bought a WSM 22.5 and a guru digiq

So I finally decided to join the swelling ranks of the pellet cooking apocalypse when I purchased a Rec Tec 590 last Friday. Received shipping notification Monday. Delivered this afternoon. Put together after dinner and initial burn in this evening.

The Rec Tec is really impressive looking in person. All of the shiny stainless makes me happy. It won’t stay that way, but it is a grill. The weight of the materials feels substantial. Nothing feels cheap. It looks very sharp next to my Primo XL. Looks like they were meant for each other.

Due to coronavirus drama pellets are a little hard to come by. Shelves are sparse. I was able to get the last bag of B&B post oak and B&B mesquite at H-E-B and a bag Lumberjack Pecan Blend at a local butcher. I really wanted either 100% hickory or pecan but got what I got.

I decided to do my burn in using the Lumberjack. A very peculiar smell to be honest. Smelled nothing like pecan. But not bad and not a problem. The PID controller kept the temperature at 400 consistently.

WiFi worked well enough. I will use it a lot to monitor. From my barstool I cannot see the controller display so I will monitor my phone quite a bit. Don’t judge me.

I hear a lot of comments that you do not get too much smoke flavor from pellet grills. I am not sure about that. At 400 degrees, There was very little visible smoke but I put my hand against the exhaust vents for a moment and my hand had a strong smoke smell. I am very curious about the flavor profile. I much prefer a cleaner flavor profile so That is one of the main reasons I bought a pellet grill.

First cook starts early tomorrow. Rack of St Louis spare ribs and some Chappel Hill sausage. Since it is first cook I might make a run to the store for a fatty.

Too dark for pics. I will post some tomorrow

Unfortunitely Rec Tec removed the advanced features from the App, like feed rate, and the ability to calibrate the temp probe. Its a shame because it made it a lot easier to get more smoke and lower temps for smoking beef jerky or get some good smoke flavor on other cuts of meat you dont want to overcook like steaks.

^^^ All that can still be done through the controller ^^^

edit: I have ver. 1.5.7 which was downloaded yesterday and minimum feed rate can still be adjusted right in the app.

You are correct, temp probe calibration is not available in the app (why would you even want to do that on the app?)
It can still be done on the controller where is should be as that's where the probes plug in. Also that is something that should be done once and done or when a probe is replaced. It's simply not a feature you need to access at every cook.

Last edited:
Back