THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chingador

is Blowin Smoke!
So I finally decided to join the swelling ranks of the pellet cooking apocalypse when I purchased a Rec Tec 590 last Friday. Received shipping notification Monday. Delivered this afternoon. Put together after dinner and initial burn in this evening.

The Rec Tec is really impressive looking in person. All of the shiny stainless makes me happy. It won’t stay that way, but it is a grill. The weight of the materials feels substantial. Nothing feels cheap. It looks very sharp next to my Primo XL. Looks like they were meant for each other.

Due to coronavirus drama pellets are a little hard to come by. Shelves are sparse. I was able to get the last bag of B&B post oak and B&B mesquite at H-E-B and a bag Lumberjack Pecan Blend at a local butcher. I really wanted either 100% hickory or pecan but got what I got.

I decided to do my burn in using the Lumberjack. A very peculiar smell to be honest. Smelled nothing like pecan. But not bad and not a problem. The PID controller kept the temperature at 400 consistently.

WiFi worked well enough. I will use it a lot to monitor. From my barstool I cannot see the controller display so I will monitor my phone quite a bit. Don’t judge me.

I hear a lot of comments that you do not get too much smoke flavor from pellet grills. I am not sure about that. At 400 degrees, There was very little visible smoke but I put my hand against the exhaust vents for a moment and my hand had a strong smoke smell. I am very curious about the flavor profile. I much prefer a cleaner flavor profile so That is one of the main reasons I bought a pellet grill.

First cook starts early tomorrow. Rack of St Louis spare ribs and some Chappel Hill sausage. Since it is first cook I might make a run to the store for a fatty.

Too dark for pics. I will post some tomorrow

Glad you finally saw the light. Welcome brother!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So I finally decided to join the swelling ranks of the pellet cooking apocalypse when I purchased a Rec Tec 590 last Friday. Received shipping notification Monday. Delivered this afternoon. Put together after dinner and initial burn in this evening.

The Rec Tec is really impressive looking in person. All of the shiny stainless makes me happy. It won’t stay that way, but it is a grill. The weight of the materials feels substantial. Nothing feels cheap. It looks very sharp next to my Primo XL. Looks like they were meant for each other.

Due to coronavirus drama pellets are a little hard to come by. Shelves are sparse. I was able to get the last bag of B&B post oak and B&B mesquite at H-E-B and a bag Lumberjack Pecan Blend at a local butcher. I really wanted either 100% hickory or pecan but got what I got.

I decided to do my burn in using the Lumberjack. A very peculiar smell to be honest. Smelled nothing like pecan. But not bad and not a problem. The PID controller kept the temperature at 400 consistently.

WiFi worked well enough. I will use it a lot to monitor. From my barstool I cannot see the controller display so I will monitor my phone quite a bit. Don’t judge me.

I hear a lot of comments that you do not get too much smoke flavor from pellet grills. I am not sure about that. At 400 degrees, There was very little visible smoke but I put my hand against the exhaust vents for a moment and my hand had a strong smoke smell. I am very curious about the flavor profile. I much prefer a cleaner flavor profile so That is one of the main reasons I bought a pellet grill.

First cook starts early tomorrow. Rack of St Louis spare ribs and some Chappel Hill sausage. Since it is first cook I might make a run to the store for a fatty.

Too dark for pics. I will post some tomorrow

I'll say this.. and I've been preaching this since my first few runs with my silverbac... Go into it expecting a lighter/different smoke profile.. Don't go in thinking you'll get something like a charcoal/stick burner smoke.. its different, its lighter, but its good! Just go in expect good easy food without much work and you'll be pleased! Can't wait to see some cooks! Lighter smoke is not a bad thing. I'm sorry to those hardcore guys that complain "oh its not enough smoke" and adds extra way's to add smoke.. are wrong.. It's not needed at all! Pellet cookers are just different.. just like charcoal is different than stick burning.. it all produces a good smoke flavor just different

I'll say this.. and I've been preaching this since my first few runs with my silverbac... Go into it expecting a lighter/different smoke profile.. Don't go in thinking you'll get something like a charcoal/stick burner smoke.. its different, its lighter, but its good! Just go in expect good easy food without much work and you'll be pleased! Can't wait to see some cooks! Lighter smoke is not a bad thing. I'm sorry to those hardcore guys that complain "oh its not enough smoke" and adds extra way's to add smoke.. are wrong.. It's not needed at all! Pellet cookers are just different.. just like charcoal is different than stick burning.. it all produces a good smoke flavor just different

I went into this hoping for a cleaner, lighter smoke flavor. With this grill I am hoping I am on that path. Really looking forward to tomorrow’s cook. I am hoping that this new cooker will give me the perfect cooking set up paired with my Primo Kamado.

Congrats.
We ordered on the same day. They would have delivered it tomorrow but I won't be home. So Friday late morning/early afternoon it is.

Good luck!

I went into this hoping for a cleaner, lighter smoke flavor. With this grill I am hoping I am on that path. Really looking forward to tomorrow’s cook. I am hoping that this new cooker will give me the perfect cooking set up paired with my Primo Kamado.

yup if its anything like my silverbac you will be pleased by the smoke profile! I have liked everything coming from the silverbac.. not once did I say "oh man.. I wish i had the smoke flavor of the vertical offset".. honestly Its making me question if I should sell the offset or not. I got a buy willing to buy it right now if i decide to sell it :p

yup if its anything like my silverbac you will be pleased by the smoke profile! I have liked everything coming from the silverbac.. not once did I say "oh man.. I wish i had the smoke flavor of the vertical offset".. honestly Its making me question if I should sell the offset or not. I got a buy willing to buy it right now if i decide to sell it :p

What pellets are you using?

congrats, remember more smoke flavor the lower you cook, I normally run a couple hours as low as it goes then kick the temp up to finish. have fun lots of good eating headed your way

Congrats, I too decided to buy a pellet smoker. My last couple of smokes just did not please me. Doing low and slow in my trail embers tends to cause a dirty smoke taste. It works great if you just let it run 295-375. Please post the results of your first cook. I ordered 240 lbs of various Lumberjack pellets with my Pellet Pro. Hope I did not make a mistake.

And we are cooking, officially. Rack of St Louis spares seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub. On an hour ago at 225. Just bumped up to 275 where it will stay for the duration. No wrapping today.

Attachments

• 0897B482-FEFC-40CD-A13B-3DFBDA4E166A.jpg
    0897B482-FEFC-40CD-A13B-3DFBDA4E166A.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 042D2B39-6996-4FF6-B642-C7AA9773AAEB.jpg
    042D2B39-6996-4FF6-B642-C7AA9773AAEB.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 09880B85-E8F8-41B6-8446-6430C8F2763C.jpg
    09880B85-E8F8-41B6-8446-6430C8F2763C.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 167
Coming along nicely. The smell is wonderful. The small skirt scrap came off a while ago and had great flavor. The smoke was an accent and an ingredient. Could still taste the pork.

Attachments

• C14B8F33-46A3-4046-B20E-00CBC048CEDC.jpg
    C14B8F33-46A3-4046-B20E-00CBC048CEDC.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 165
And we are done. A little over 4 hours cooking time. Flavor is excellent. Very good natural pork flavor complimented by smoke, not dominated like ribs cooked on my Primo. I planned on doing a side by side comparison this weekend but I really don’t see the point. One bite and I know I much prefer ribs cooked on the RT. Just better. Exactly what I was hoping for. Substantial smoke ring too, which is a nice bonus. Color me impressed with pellet cooking

Attachments

• C3C892AF-00DD-41CB-920F-CD9DAC9869AE.jpg
    C3C892AF-00DD-41CB-920F-CD9DAC9869AE.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 151
  • EC2F833C-8F63-45A5-BC26-F9BB6F8915D9.jpg
    EC2F833C-8F63-45A5-BC26-F9BB6F8915D9.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 95B3136A-835B-4AB6-BD80-CECD2E6EB1FF.jpg
    95B3136A-835B-4AB6-BD80-CECD2E6EB1FF.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 153
Back