THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And we are done. A little over 4 hours cooking time. Flavor is excellent. Very good natural pork flavor complimented by smoke, not dominated like ribs cooked on my Primo. I planned on doing a side by side comparison this weekend but I really don’t see the point. One bite and I know I much prefer ribs cooked on the RT. Just better. Exactly what I was hoping for. Substantial smoke ring too, which is a nice bonus. Color me impressed with pellet cooking

Nicely done!! Ribs look great! I'm glad your enjoying it.. I really wanna fire the silverbac up soon.. Got rain coming every day it seems. Hoping the rain stops cuz it looks like I need to pull out the ol' Mower of lawns and mow the grass. That day i'll fire it up and cook!

I was rather impressed by pellet cooking too, its easy and has great flavor..

Got the same 590 Stampede...if you want smoke flavor, run it at 200-225...it'll roll pretty good smoke. It's definately a cleaner, lighter smoke, but it's definately there. If I want more flavor that my pellet grill, I use my PK Grill for smoking.

Nothing wrong with pellet smoker. That's what got me into smoking, because of how easy it was. Then I tried charcoal, and I liked the flavor a little. I was always watching the pellet smoker anyway so there was no difference to me there. I always say do what you like. Life is to short to eat food you don't like anyway.

Got the same 590 Stampede...if you want smoke flavor, run it at 200-225...it'll roll pretty good smoke. It's definately a cleaner, lighter smoke, but it's definately there. If I want more flavor that my pellet grill, I use my PK Grill for smoking.

There is nothing I would want different with the flavor of the ribs I cooked today. To me they were exactly what I like. To me smoke is just one of the ingredients. It should be in balance with the flavor of the meat, fat and spices, not the dominant flavor. I will probably not cook ribs on a different pit moving forward. Brisket this weekend. Heading to the store in the morning to see whatever else looks good.

Round 2. Have 2 racks of loin backs on the pit along with a naked fatty. Brisket tomorrow

A couple thoughts:

250-275 seems to be the sweet spot for this grill in terms of best flavor. A lot of white smoke at 225. Lumberjack pellets are just fine. I would like to try their 100%hickory or pecan. But the blend is really tasty. I will use B&B post oak tomorrow.

Really liking this cooker.

Attachments

• F82D203A-9CE3-423F-B0D1-8381EB0E423E.jpg
    F82D203A-9CE3-423F-B0D1-8381EB0E423E.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 89
The room is great for my needs but understand that my choice was between this and the 340. 3-4 racks of ribs is max for me. 2 briskets is my max need. I am limited by patio space so the Bull was never an option. But space is plentiful. 340 would be okay but too cramped for my taste.

The PID controller is spot on. At burn in it swung to 437 on 400 set temp but settled down quickly. Ever since I have been within 5 degrees of set temp with the majority of times right on the number. Plenty of smoke. I don’t understand the need for adding an external smoke tube

Your cooks are looking great. I am glad you got a smoker that works well for you. So far I am really liking my Pellet Pro. I done meatloaf yesterday and we really liked it and today I have a turkey just about ready to pull off. If you had asked me a year ago if I would get a Pellet Grill I would have said he!! no. But thinks change and this is just so much easier. Good luck with your future cooks.
Tom

If you had asked me a year ago if I would get a Pellet Grill I would have said he!! no. But thinks change and this is just so much easier. Good luck with your future cooks.
Tom

Yeah I am with you on that, Farmer. I have never had too much respect towards pellet grills in the past. In my mind, a pitmaster should be able to manage a fire. Yeah, I can do that but I live in the middle of the city and I just don’t have space for a stick burner. In the end the only thing that matters is how your food tastes. As of right now, pellet cooking fits with me.

Yeah I am with you on that, Farmer. I have never had too much respect towards pellet grills in the past. In my mind, a pitmaster should be able to manage a fire. Yeah, I can do that but I live in the middle of the city and I just don’t have space for a stick burner. In the end the only thing that matters is how your food tastes. As of right now, pellet cooking fits with me.

Get a Bandera or a Brinkmann/Dyna Glo vertical offset. They like to cruise at 275F with small splits. Offset/pellet burner is a great combo. Burn sticks for a few hours and then transfer to the pellet burner when you get tired of playing with the fire.

Get a Bandera or a Brinkmann/Dyna Glo vertical offset. They like to cruise at 275F with small splits. Offset/pellet burner is a great combo. Burn sticks for a few hours and then transfer to the pellet burner when you get tired of playing with the fire.

And why would I do that? You probably missed my posts detailing my limited patio space. I am done buying cookers for a while

And why would I do that?

Because we’re Brethren and that’s what we do.... we accumulate more cookers then we need or will ever use... lol. Seriously though, slimming my cooking arsenal big-time back in 2017 has left me with zero regret. I love things simple and clean, not to mention being able to really get to know the “limited” cooking options I now have. To each their own :)

Because we’re Brethren and that’s what we do.... we accumulate more cookers then we need or will ever use... lol. Seriously though, slimming my cooking arsenal big-time back in 2017 has left me with zero regret. I love things simple and clean, not to mention being able to really get to know the “limited” cooking options I now have. To each their own :)

So true. I think my recent Rec Tec acquisition perfectly rounds out my cooking arsenal. Although I could definitely have my arm twisted at some point to add a WSM or PBC. (or both, as they are relatively cheap compared to everything else I have)

I'm in the same boat as the OP though. I'm running out of space to put things AND I never in a million years thought I would have bought a pellet grill.
I love the LSG but a few brisket cooks overnight and I learned I'm not as young as I used to be and need/must have sleep.

JWFokker's suggestion of starting things on the stick burner and finishing on the pellet smoker is absolutely brilliant. I literally smacked myself on the forehead when I read it and thought "why didn't I think of that"

I think my recent Rec Tec acquisition perfectly rounds out my cooking arsenal. Although I could definitely have my arm twisted at some point to add a WSM or PBC. (or both, as they are relatively cheap compared to everything else I have)

“Perfectly rounds out my cooking arsenal, BUT...”

Yep, you have the symptoms of being a Brethren... lol.

Last edited:
So true. I think my recent Rec Tec acquisition perfectly rounds out my cooking arsenal. Although I could definitely have my arm twisted at some point to add a WSM or PBC. (or both, as they are relatively cheap compared to everything else I have)

I'm in the same boat as the OP though. I'm running out of space to put things AND I never in a million years thought I would have bought a pellet grill.
I love the LSG but a few brisket cooks overnight and I learned I'm not as young as I used to be and need/must have sleep.

JWFokker's suggestion of starting things on the stick burner and finishing on the pellet smoker is absolutely brilliant. I literally smacked myself on the forehead when I read it and thought "why didn't I think of that"

Yes!

Some brethren here even spread the seikovirus!

Back