THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What landarc said. My issue with said fanboys comes in when they start trashing other cookers! There's more than one way to skin a cat and there's for dang sure more than one way to smoke a pork butt!

You smoke your way and I'll smoke mine and then we'll sit down and eat...

They did that bashing other brands, and forgot about the one being talked about. I wasn't bashing their cooker I was bashing them not disclosing the truth about the bad that has went on with that brand. I thought they did wrong by not at least acknowledging the bad along with the good.

Just my opinion, this isn't whatever site you went to. So start fresh and forget about it. Everyone is proud of their cookers. Welcome to the Brethren and a new start.

I wouldn't recommend brand bashing but you are free to do so. I will say for the mod team and Phil (BBQChef33 aka Poobah) they are a fair bunch. I have plenty of controversial things I have said or will say but they never mod for content. As long as there are no rule violations they will not moderate. They are fair. So read the rules and abide by them and you will have a good time here.

Again Welcome to the Brethren.

To a new guy that is looking for advise
Well, my advice is stay on this site, no one here will intentionally mislead you.
[And build a UDS while you are waiting to spend the big bucks.}

In a feeble attempt to keep this somewhat on topic (hey! It's my job :becky:)

My responses below...

Its hard to explain , and no there have been far too many issues it could have been in that time frame. Updates in both product, firmware etc etc. How many other smokers do you list a build date for when you start talking about it?

Pellet cookers are a different animal. Build dates or serial numbers can be important where electronics are involved. So are software, firmware and hardware updates.

I just said it would be easier to look the data up then have me list everything it could be. Then the buyer could make his own call. I wasn't trying to sway him either way.

Understood, but to me deferring to Google has the appearance of Internet-based issues vs. real life issues. Simply taking the time to list what you have experienced rather than what someone else has experienced makes things more credible. I'm not suggesting that you didn't experience the issues (whatever they were), but deferring to Google makes it seem less like personal experience.

The issue I had was people saying there was no problems. To a new guy that is looking for advise I find that pretty underhanded to do. That is not give him both the good, and bad sides of what he was asking about.

It's entirely possible that those folks had no problems. I know quite a few people through here and competitions with Yoder pellet cookers and they have had no major issues (at least that they have discussed).

I started looking at pellets for about a year went to stick burners, and now I have ended up looking at cabinets. I have about 10 to 13 I'm looking at, and now Shirley Fab will also be making them in 16. So I'm in a holding pattern for now.

It's hard to go wrong with a Shirley, but I'm not sure the they have built a cabinet smoker yet. The ones I see on here are all reverse flow offsets with a warming cabinet. If an insulated vertical smoker fits your needs take a look at Spicewine or Humphreys. Both are excellent and both are run by Brethren!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I'm not saying you were doing the bashing T, I understand you were pointing something out but the fan boys would have none of it. That's ok, that's what they do. I work with guys that are TICKED that Kyle Bush won the NASCAR championship simply because he drives a Toyota :crazy:

In a feeble attempt to keep this somewhat on topic (hey! It's my job :becky:)

My responses below...

This is perfectly said, and all of your rebuttals would play out if you read the original thread on the other site. There was no fanboy stuff. It was simply a few people pointing out that their particular units worked fine, and him blowing it way out of proportion. He seems to fancy himself somewhat of an "Internet scholar", and from past posts I don't believe he had ever owned a smoker period let alone the brand in question.

I think it would be wrong to say that every Yoder has an issue. I have owned several. I have had issues with a couple but not all. So, for you to assume that every one has an issue is a little like a "Hate Boy".

By the way, my issues were:
Welded hinges broke on 640. Solution, they changed all 640's/480's to Stainless Steel Hindges.
In 2015, Yoder changed their paint for the body of the cooker to a glossier black. It tends to peel after the first couple of uses - I think it is a baking issue.

On the 480 I owned and the 1500 I owned, I had zero issues. Does that make me a fan boy to say that?

Pellet poopers??? I thought this was about twirly temp controllers! When something goes 5 pages without some not really knowing what it's about then ....well it ain't right! :twitch:

This is perfectly said, and all of your rebuttals would play out if you read the original thread on the other site. There was no fanboy stuff. It was simply a few people pointing out that their particular units worked fine, and him blowing it way out of proportion. He seems to fancy himself somewhat of an "Internet scholar", and from past posts I don't believe he had ever owned a smoker period let alone the brand in question.

Thanks for the perspective, but let's not take this personal.

I have enough on my hands in keeping up with this site, so I won't be searching out the thread elsewhere (and I'm 99% sure I know where to look :-D)

Care to share the site he is talking about? I just would like to see what has got him all worked up. Just for my own curiousity. Thanks.

Thanks for the perspective, but let's not take this personal.

I have enough on my hands in keeping up with this site, so I won't be searching out the thread elsewhere (and I'm 99% sure I know where to look :-D)

I wasn't involved in any way (I haven't even posted in the other thread) so nothing personal here. He actually seems like a decent guy that just got fired up for some reason. I just thought it was funny that you pretty much hit the nail on the head without even knowing what was said. I was more impressed by the accuracy of your response than any of the content of this or that thread. I have no dog in the fight, nor care what anyone else wants to use for their smoking needs.

Care to share the site he is talking about? I just would like to see what has got him all worked up. Just for my own curiousity. Thanks.

It's on pelletheads.com in the go ahead and ask section. Something about a used 640. I'd be interested to hear other thoughts as well. I hardly ever get involved in these things and didn't over there either. It just seemed to go off the rails faster than usual so I decided to see what was going on.

I saw the original post on the other site. My two cents is just change the approach to get your point across. You raise a valid point to the potential buyer: research the issues to make sure it's worth the risk. But the original post was basically "smoker x has issues. Be careful". When A post like that shows up on a forum for smoker X, people are going to get fired up. Doesn't matter what brand it is. It did get more specific in following posts but I think the damage was done. Might be better to list out what specific issues to keep an eye out first. Then you'll get more objective responses vs just blind defending of the brand.

I love reading 1 star reviews about successful BBQ joints that involve festive dialogue like: "I drove there 3 times in a row, at least an hour before they closed, and they were SOLD OUT of the brisket every time!" So this somehow means they are deserved of a horrible review, for selling food that is SO good...it sells out. Yeah, got it.

That is BS. If you can't admit your brand has had issues, and claim "what problems" like there have been none that is being a fan boy straight up. I stated just look before you buy. I said I have nothing against any smoker, but don't misguide a person just because you have something that hasn't had issues when many others have.

One of the people got a free unit because the original owner had enough he gave it away. I stated if that was such a stand up co they would have made it right with the guy that plopped down the money. The guy that got it free gave a couple old threads, and the funny thing is that poster advice of the exact same thing I did. Hit, and miss, and buy at your own risk, and the co did little to solve his issue.

I don't currently have a smoker. I will have one as soon as I can muddle through the BS. I take my time before I buy. So I do have knowledge, but don nor have had a smoker for a while. I know plenty of people that have knowledge as do I I'm not a pit ace, but not many are.

Back