THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I love food have always loved food, I love to cook and truly look forward to the process of making food. I am an OK cook not as good as my mom or grandmother, unfortunately neither of them wrote down their recipes. I like to cook for others and like introducing new foods for folks to try.

I have always been a fan of cooking with fire and eating food cooked with fire. I love BBQ in it's purest form and prefer Que that is not over seasoned or sauced. I look forward to tending my smoker and find the process very relaxing. Heck I even like cleaning my cooker the day after a cook. And of course I love sharing with others.

Another aspect of BBQ that I truly look forward to is the interaction with fellow Brethren, kind of like a big extended family. I have come to appreciate the talents of the folks on this site for example I can't wait for the grand opening of Sako's restaurant, would love to eat some of Marty's Wings, chow down on Norm and Moose's pizza, Silverfinger's beef ribs, Adams amazing green chili creations, Marc's High Plains Shenanigans, Paul's hospitality, Robert and Tonybel's south of the border creations, Toast's better half's pies, Titch's lamb, anything Jeanie cooks plus so many others that I have not mentioned. Thanks you all for having me as part of the group and thank you ALL for being an inspiration.

Good points re not tasting well after a day sucking in smoke while cooking... i find a quick sinus rinse (Neti pot) after pulling the food before eating rights my ability to enjoy the tasting... I usually chuckle at myself when I scurry for a rinse before serving but works for me ;)

Too many comments for my lazy butt to read all of them but I'm another that enjoys the cook more than the food. I'd rather cook 3 times than 1 big cook to freeze for later use. A quick shower while everything is resting helps it taste better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I love food have always loved food, I love to cook and truly look forward to the process of making food. I am an OK cook not as good as my mom or grandmother, unfortunately neither of them wrote down their recipes. I like to cook for others and like introducing new foods for folks to try.

I have always been a fan of cooking with fire and eating food cooked with fire. I love BBQ in it's purest form and prefer Que that is not over seasoned or sauced. I look forward to tending my smoker and find the process very relaxing. Heck I even like cleaning my cooker the day after a cook. And of course I love sharing with others.

Another aspect of BBQ that I truly look forward to is the interaction with fellow Brethren, kind of like a big extended family. I have come to appreciate the talents of the folks on this site for example I can't wait for the grand opening of Sako's restaurant, would love to eat some of Marty's Wings, chow down on Norm and Moose's pizza, Silverfinger's beef ribs, Adams amazing green chili creations, Marc's High Plains Shenanigans, Paul's hospitality, Robert and Tonybel's south of the border creations, Toast's better half's pies, Titch's lamb, anything Jeanie cooks plus so many others that I have not mentioned. Thanks you all for having me as part of the group and thank you ALL for being an inspiration.

well said brother and I agree!!!!!

Too many comments for my lazy butt to read all of them but I'm another that enjoys the cook more than the food. I'd rather cook 3 times than 1 big cook to freeze for later use. A quick shower while everything is resting helps it taste better.

I am a must shower guy during a cook or shortly after... it refreshes me and helps my palate a bit......

I had done a lot of cooking before joining this site but I have learned so much hear.... i'm one that will read look and learn..my dad who was a master carpenter told me years ago that he had learned more from his "helpers" over the years than anyone else..i think he was basically telling me that what you can learn and be taught comes from the willingness to shut up and listen!!!!! and not think you are above anyone......

Use to love it but due to cooking thousand of pounds a year (we cater) I myself would rather eat anything but. I still like to sample my product for example, we just put 3 cases of pork butts on the smoker last night and when they come off today I like pulling a few pieces of black gold (The Bark) fresh off the cooker and eating. That never gets old.

my dad who was a master carpenter told me years ago that he had learned more from his "helpers" over the years than anyone else..i think he was basically telling me that what you can learn and be taught comes from the willingness to shut up and listen!!!!! and not think you are above anyone......

That's a seriously great piece of advice. I've learned a lot about my job, even from people I'm trying to train! A new guy can have a great idea, if you give it a chance. I might have my way to do a lot of things, but if I can get the same or better results, I'm open to new ways to get there.

I have been cooking for a long time but am relatively new to BBQ. But I agree with you totally that the process from the purchasing the ingredients, to the prep, and the cooking and the social aspect of hanging around the smoker and making people happy with your food. I am always messing around with new recipes, types of sausage, sandwiches, pasta, pizza...variety is the spice of life...That's what its all about. I do love BBQ food (ribs, brisket, pulled pork) but like many others you get burned out on it pretty quick. But i guess thats why all the guys and gals on here, have pizza ovens, and griddles, and cast iron pans, and deep fryers, and rotisseries and so on and so on. Food brings people together, cheers people up, and all sorts of other cliches. But they are cliche because they are true.

I love any excuse to sit by a fire and drink beer with friends and family. As far as bbq, I really dont care for traditional Q. I love ribs, but i like my ribs tender/fall apart with only a hint of smoke flavor, slathered with a good tangy/sweet glaze that is tacky to where the glaze doesnt get all over your fingers. Aside from short ribs, i dont care for brisket, or pulled pork.

I absolutely love good bbq (ribs, brisket, pulled/chopped pork, etc.) Will never get tired of it.

I also love having parties and cooking for others, whether it's doing "Q" in my smokers, and/or grilling up some steaks, burgers, chicken, chops or whatever else.

On those days, like others have said, I really don't eat very much. I like the inevitable compliments, but I really like to watch people eat without them knowing that I'm observing. To see their reactions when they bite into something that they really like. Or to overhear them talking to someone else about a particular meat or dish.

I am more of a process guy. I love pulling my smoker out and cooking for people.When I do big cooks, I usually barely eat anything because I end up being wore out from getting everything together or I have been snacking on stuff the whole time! I do love it though.

Last edited:
I like both. The process and feeding others is really fun. And I love BBQ food. But what's interesting in my case, I don't enjoy the food as much the day I cook. Maybe it's that I've been around smoke all day etc. So what I do now is I usually cook one day and re-heat the food the next day. For some reason it tastes better to me the next day.

Same with me.....

I absolutely love barbeque and could eat it several times a week. However, I think I love the art of cooking more. And definitely love cooking for others the most.

I find myself not even wanting to really eat on my cook days. I'll snack and sample, but rarely will I eat a full meal.

But seeing others get a good meal that I prepared makes my very happy.

I enjoy the cook and playing with fire, I like "barbecue" and grilled meats a lot, but I get the biggest thrill about the results at the end of the cook, even if I'm no longer in the mood to eat at the end of the cook. I like to cook for others, and they seem to like eating it, but "rolling the dice" when I fire up a cooker and getting a big jackpot at the end (a perfectly cooked brisket, as an example) is the fun part for me.

I like all of it! Looking down a long table or across a full yard of folks chowing down and enjoying each other's company never gets old. I simply love it.

I might enjoy the process more than actually eating it, but that may depend on how I cooked on whichever particular day!

Great topic. I enjoy the process and putting smiles on faces. Great food, of any kind, brings people together. The comradere if cooking with a group is nice, too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is a hard one to answer. I think for me I love the preparation of a large cook, tending to the fire, heat, smoke, rubs, monitoring, air intake and out, wrapping, resting and serving. The entire process is a passion. Secondly, I love good BBQ and when I get really good Q I knows it. I get a thrill out of the process and the cook first and secondly is the consumption.

Grew up in the kitchen helping my mom cook. She was the best cook I ever knew. When I’m cooking all of those memories rush back, the love of feeding family, the pride in what and how you prepared it, the completion of who could make the best bread, the best biscuits, yes the best bloody marry. It was not BBQ as we know it. It was cast Iron pans, and huge gardens. So yes I love to BBQ, yes I like it, but it is all about friends and family, for me.

I would say Im in the minority opinion of the OP, haha. I enjoy the prep and cook, as if its a giant science project making it more complex than splitting an atom, and all the mental genius / or stupidity, haha, that it involves. Then I enjoy only serving my small family and eating most of it. When its exceptional Ill take a small amount to work and share it as a teaser, and that fires everyone up... Part of my opinion is based on environment as well, briskets , port butts and ribs are about 4X the price as the states. I bet most of you don't pay $8o for a medium brisket and over $100 for a big boy , thats normal here. So, if i make it, i want to eat it, even if it takes me a week, ..

Everyone else on this island is just as happy eating spam sandwiches, lol... So ???

Last edited:
Back