THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I couldn't afford the thermapen so I went with the slighty slower thermopop. It has been one of my best investments.

Thanks!

Do you use all 3 simultaneously? :wink:

I keep one at work one in the kitchen and one at the grill. If I'm cooking chicken and anything else I will use a different one for other meats.

I cook a lot of steaks for groups of people and I like for folks to get their steak the way they like it. An extra second or two when checking 30 steaks over a hot grill is worth it to me. It takes the guessing game out of it for me. I never have a request to put a steak back on the grill or a complaint that it is overcooked.

I keep one at work one in the kitchen and one at the grill. If I'm cooking chicken and anything else I will use a different one for other meats.

I cook a lot of steaks for groups of people and I like for folks to get their steak the way they like it. An extra second or two when checking 30 steaks over a hot grill is worth it to me. It takes the guessing game out of it for me. I never have a request to put a steak back on the grill or a complaint that it is overcooked.

Yes! That's it! I usually say, whenever this topic is recycled, that unless one is cooking ~20 steaks, what's the difference bet. 3 secs and 5?

Just my POV. I think they're cool and they are a great thermometer. If there were no options on the market, I'd be forced to plunk down the ~$90, but thankfully I can get a 5-second, just as accurate therm. for ~$20.

I wish the Thermopops were available when I bought my RT600C.

I bought the $20 Thermoworks pocket thermometer and love the hell out of it. In fact, I consider it to be one of the best $20 I've ever spent.

Of course, like some of the folks here have said, I'm not checking dozens of pieces of meat at a time. I'm smoking two or three things at a time, or five or six steaks, or using it to check my wort temp when brewing. It's the perfect product for that purpose.

It is a damn fine thermometer. Fast, accurate, pretty. But I'm not sure how to quantify whether it is worth $100 or not.

I can tell you that I've had probably 3 or 4 of the cheap crappy ones in the 10 years we've lived together. And my Thermapen for 2 or 3 now. And it's still going strong. So really, per year, the cost isn't as bad as one may think.

On the other hand, the thought I have in mind is that for brisket, butts, and ribs, I don't care about the internal temp. I go by feel. I don't probe burgers or steaks on the grill, I go by look. :decision:

i've thrown away well over $100 worth of crappy thermos in my life. given that i use my thermapens for things other than BBQ, i could easily justify the price. i paid $69 for my first and $79 for my second.

I don't think it is foolish to spend $100 on a thermometer. Heck, tons of us spend thousands on a smoker when we can probably cook just as good on something not much more expensive than a Thermapen. That being said I have a Thermopop and love it. It's up to each individual to decide what is right for them.:grin:
My decision was the Thermopop and a 2nd 732. I think they came out to about the same amount as the Thermapen. I don't temp a bunch of meat at once and the 2nd 732 gave me the option to have 1 grate probe and 3 meat probes.

If you can't afford a thermapen, the Thermoworks RT301WA is your next best choice. 2 times more accurate than a Thermopop, better resolution, water resistant, NSF rated, can be calibrated (adjusted), and is $5 cheaper than a Thermopop. I have a thermapen and a RT301WA and am happy with both.

Back