THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In my opinion, yes. Without a doubt, my most frequently used BBQ tool. Saves a lot of time, particularly if you're doing large quantities of things like chicken thighs, etc.

This is the video that convinced me that there is no equal for home use.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_tpfyFitDY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_tpfyFitDY[/ame]

My mom is a notorious cheap skate, if she needs something it's whatever is the cheapest at the closest store. Any time I needed basketball shoes growing up we would have to go to the nearest outlet store for cheap shoes instead of the extra 10 minute drive to go get some quality shoes that would last the whole season. Last year I took her credit card and ordered her a thermapen when they had an open box sale and even in her commercial kitchen she uses $7 cheapies. Well I shared a thermapen post on Facebook today and she left a comment saying how great of a product it is and my mom doesn't compliment anything.

I just bought 2 backlit Thermapens and I love them. When cooking for large catering events you sometimes need a team probing meats such as chicken so you can get them panned and in a food pan holder such as a Cambro, Carlilse or Winco before they cool off. It also gets your smoker door closed faster so it can get back up to temp quicker.

I just did a wedding reception for 250 people and the Thermapens were a lifesaver. We smoked 250 pieces of chicken. They also had pulled pork along with 4 sides and a sweet potato bar. I highly recommend them if cooking regularly or for large events.

BTW, I just bought some additional food pan holders by Winco. They have 12 slots and hold 6 full size 2 1/2" deep pans. They cost A LOT LESS than Cambros or Carlisles and they do a superb job of keeping hot food hot and col food cold. I highly recommend them.

I bought an open box black one, not flashy as the back lit wild colored ones but I am glad I bought it. When trying to get a temp on a piece of meat it's not always easy to probe in know your are in the middle, with the Thermopen you can stick it in and slide it out slowly and see the lowest temp was probably the middle. The 5 or 6 second ones would be fine just slower. Best $80 I've spent in a while. I cook brats about once a week and until I knew the internal temp, I cooked the crap out of them, no they come off the grill at around 175-185 and they are perfect.

I'm no comp guy but still think us backyard hacks want to better our game, and if that tool helps me cook a two inch thick sirloin and not have it overdone, it's worth it to me.

Thanks to FNBISH on the suggestion- I looked it up on Amazon and it had great reviews, I ordered mine tonight!

Last edited:
Thanks to FNBISH on the suggestion- I looked it up on Amazon and it had great reviews, I ordered mine tonight!

Glad to help. I do love my thermapen, but had I known about the one RD carried prior to buying I wouldn't have bought it. The DPP is fast and less than 1/3 the price.

Back