THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sad at all the negative responses in that comment section. Instead of going to sites where the people agree with their views, they hang out to talk bad about what he does, how his food is over hyped, or cookers that he hasn't even sold yet? Some folk are not happy unless they are being hateful- which makes no sense to me.

Twain was right "The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog"

Be glad you did not tell anyone you actually went to Franklin, hung out in line and ate the BBQ.

You will get totally flamed. "Only an idiot would stand in line 4 hours to eat hippie BBQ".

I wouldn't consider myself a "hater" by any means. I'm in fact the opposite. I'm quite the fanboy of Aaron Franklin. I've got his manifesto book, read it cover to cover multiple times, I've waited in line for hours three times while in Austin, and have watched all his YouTube videos a few times.

I think he's everything that's right with BBQ and has a helluva story to go along with it... starting in a backyard, moving up to roadside vending and taking off from there.

I don't like this venture because I feel like it cheapens his brand. I don't particularly care for Myron Mixon because he'll put his name on anything if it'll earn him a nickel. I'm not specifically comparing the two, but when I read the thread title I groaned. I suspect that the smokers will be of the utmost quality, but I won't be buying one and I wish, for legacy's sake, he'd just stick with making bbq. I hope it stops here and we're not soon dealing with AF BBQ aprons and utensils, rubs, cutting boards, etc.

The guy has bills to pay and a life to live like the rest of us. The restaurant business is tough and people won't be lining up there forever. Expanding on his brand is being smart. In fact I think he should have done it a long time ago.

Be glad you did not tell anyone you actually went to Franklin, hung out in line and ate the BBQ.

You will get totally flamed. "Only an idiot would stand in line 4 hours to eat hippie BBQ".
I was told by someone once they didn't like him because he's a Hipster I was confused because he doesn't have the beard, is that considered the same as a Hippie?

The book is actually a good read, and there's a couple recipes that are good too. Unlike Myron Mixons book that's just fish wrapper with his picture on it.
Are you wanting to get rid of your book or are you gonna hold onto it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

he does a nice pbs video on how he makes his smokers. direct flow semi insulated fire box (a tank within a tank no insulation)..no reverse flow plate. my guess is they will be simple but well built smokers (if he actually makes them as discussed). I liked the series of shows he did for pbs

I wouldn't consider myself a "hater" by any means. I'm in fact the opposite. I'm quite the fanboy of Aaron Franklin. I've got his manifesto book, read it cover to cover multiple times, I've waited in line for hours three times while in Austin, and have watched all his YouTube videos a few times.

I think he's everything that's right with BBQ and has a helluva story to go along with it... starting in a backyard, moving up to roadside vending and taking off from there.

I don't like this venture because I feel like it cheapens his brand. I don't particularly care for Myron Mixon because he'll put his name on anything if it'll earn him a nickel. I'm not specifically comparing the two, but when I read the thread title I groaned. I suspect that the smokers will be of the utmost quality, but I won't be buying one and I wish, for legacy's sake, he'd just stick with making bbq. I hope it stops here and we're not soon dealing with AF BBQ aprons and utensils, rubs, cutting boards, etc.

what's so bad about building a brand and making a "nickel" doing it? emeril has done it, batali, rachael ray, martha stewart, wolfgang puck.....etc. they are all hugely successful but still stay true to their cooking roots for the most part.

what's so bad about building a brand and making a "nickel" doing it? emeril has done it, batali, rachael ray, martha stewart, wolfgang puck.....etc. they are all hugely successful but still stay true to their cooking roots for the most part.

There's nothing "bad" about it and honestly, I wish I hadn't even posted that. It's my opinion and my opinion alone apparently. I wish Aaron the absolute best and I hope he has a long wonderful, fulfilling life. I'm a huge fan of his. I really am. I'm one of the so called idiots that waits in line to see him and eat his food whenever I'm in Austin.

Agree.

Mr. Franklin has made his bones beyond any doubt. His brisket sets the bar.

This is like musicians selling their songs for commercials - the fanboys rage " sell out" while the artist is trying to make a living on the music and stay viable enough to continue making music.

Aaron worked his a$$ off to get to where he is. He's not selling out by marketing a smoker.

Are we such purists that we will fault him for trying to profit on the brand that he worked so hard to earn? I certainly hope not.

Don't forget that he earns his reputation EVERY day his business is open.

Agree.

Mr. Franklin has made his bones beyond any doubt. His brisket sets the bar.

This is like musicians selling their songs for commercials - the fanboys rage " sell out" while the artist is trying to make a living on the music and stay viable enough to continue making music.

Aaron worked his a$$ off to get to where he is. He's not selling out by marketing a smoker.

Are we such purists that we will fault him for trying to profit on the brand that he worked so hard to earn? I certainly hope not.

Don't forget that he earns his reputation EVERY day his business is open.

Nice post John! I am a believer in the free market and if Mr Franklin builds the best mousetrap, I will be one of the first in the queue to get one!!

Found a Texas Monthly article about Kosher brisket and they showed two pictures of the pits from Aaron's line...

7159115d73f82a6f5cfec505a002834c.jpg

8f7035dccfb0d576653b7c4c9928f9a2.jpg

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/treif-no-franklin-barbecue/

I wonder if he will leave them naked or paint them. Painting them looks more commercialized to me.

Back