Aaron Franklin Brand Smokers

Bacchus2b,

I saw those same ads. If Aaron Franklin wanted to go NFL style, he could have lawyers send cease and desist letters. That being said, he strikes me as too classy to lawyer up. If anything, the Craigslist ads just juice the buzz for Franklin bbq. Think of how there's a class of "Jambo Clones" flooding the markets--it just makes people want a Jambo that badly

I wouldn't consider myself a "hater" by any means. I'm in fact the opposite. I'm quite the fanboy of Aaron Franklin. I've got his manifesto book, read it cover to cover multiple times, I've waited in line for hours three times while in Austin, and have watched all his YouTube videos a few times.

I think he's everything that's right with BBQ and has a helluva story to go along with it... starting in a backyard, moving up to roadside vending and taking off from there.

I don't like this venture because I feel like it cheapens his brand. I don't particularly care for Myron Mixon because he'll put his name on anything if it'll earn him a nickel. I'm not specifically comparing the two, but when I read the thread title I groaned. I suspect that the smokers will be of the utmost quality, but I won't be buying one and I wish, for legacy's sake, he'd just stick with making bbq. I hope it stops here and we're not soon dealing with AF BBQ aprons and utensils, rubs, cutting boards, etc.

The big difference is that HE is making HIS cookers. Mixon put his name on everything Franklin is putting him name on something he is designing and his guys are making, all in Austin. Its yet to be seen on what this does for his brand but try not to judge the book before its published.

The big difference is that HE is making HIS cookers. Mixon put his name on everything Franklin is putting him name on something he is designing and his guys are making, all in Austin. Its yet to be seen on what this does for his brand but try not to judge the book before its published.

I'll buy that.

^-- this! I understand the knee-jerk reaction by many - lately there have been many "celebrity" BBQ personalities putting their names on cheap a$$ cookers. But until we see his product, we should not judge. In fact, after reading his book several times, it's obvious that he has a certain philosophy on how he likes to design his smokers. But that's what makes this hobby so much fun - we get to decide what we want and don't want in a smoker. Hopefully they are good quality smokers and I'm wishing him success in his new venture.

The marketplace will ultimately decide, as it always does. I wish him the best as I do all entrepreneurs, because without them we don't have companies, jobs, tax revenue, etc.

^-- this! I understand the knee-jerk reaction by many - lately there have been many "celebrity" BBQ personalities putting their names on cheap a$$ cookers. But until we see his product, we should not judge. In fact, after reading his book several times, it's obvious that he has a certain philosophy on how he likes to design his smokers. But that's what makes this hobby so much fun - we get to decide what we want and don't want in a smoker. Hopefully they are good quality smokers and I'm wishing him success in his new venture.
A little off topic, I actually just put his book in my amazon shopping cart last night. Can't wait to read it!

Sorry for the thread jack

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A little off topic, I actually just put his book in my amazon shopping cart last night. Can't wait to read it!

Sorry for the thread jack

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ive had it since christmas. Ive also had a 1 year old since christmas. Man I need to read that book.....

Funny side story and official thread jack. I brought that book on a plane from MI-MAUI and back with the intentions of reading it. With a 1 year old. HA. That didnt work

Speaking of Celebrity Cookers. Kid Rock has a grill that he calls The American Bada$$ Grill for about $100. Kid Rock's videos of him shooting guns are hysterical--who doesn't like things getting blown up--but I don't see myself plunking down coin for one. Shirley's got nothing to worry about!!

Speaking of Celebrity Cookers. Kid Rock has a grill that he calls The American Bada$$ Grill for about $100. Kid Rock's videos of him shooting guns are hysterical--who doesn't like things getting blown up--but I don't see myself plunking down coin for one. Shirley's got nothing to worry about!!

Big difference between designing and making a cooker and having a different company pay you to promote a product :) Nothing against Kid Rock or Mixon. I would cash the check just like them

So are they gonna Made from propane tanks with only a lil bit of paint left on them.? :twitch: if they do Camo I may have to get one......... ......................half price on Craigslist after someone figures out stickburning is Not for them.

I like his Videos......I don't do Books or standing in super long lines for BBQ.......

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=85luNNaehkE[/ame]

He did some with PBS - you can see full version on PBS site......

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-season-1-episode-4-the-pits/

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vua4nJH99mE[/ame]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLQMKh4LBO6xP69g5F1UDOC52X5cIZ2FGB&v=lNyzr0HrCVk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLQMKh4LBO6xP69g5F1UDOC52X5cIZ2FGB&v=lNyzr0HrCVk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...FGB&params=OAFIAVgB&v=4oqXqvm3WVk&mode=NORMAL

Last edited:
My hunch is it'll be a direct competitor to the Jambo Backyard. Roughly the same price, roughly the same size, roughly the same markup based on name recognition.

I say more power to him--it looks like he's doing the design work (like he did for the big pits he uses at his restaurant) so they'll cook the way he wants them to just like Jamie's pits or Paul/Tyler's pits. Depending on the size and build quality I'd consider buying one.

My hunch is it'll be a direct competitor to the Jambo Backyard. Roughly the same price, roughly the same size, roughly the same markup based on name recognition.

I say more power to him--it looks like he's doing the design work (like he did for the big pits he uses at his restaurant) so they'll cook the way he wants them to just like Jamie's pits or Paul/Tyler's pits. Depending on the size and build quality I'd consider buying one.

I bet you're right on about the comparison to Jambo. And competition in the market is always a plus!

Along with everything else that Aaron does, I really think the quality will be there. But, just like all of the other big names, the price will be jacked up to pay for the hype. A name on a smoker does not affect the product that comes out of it. A lot of great BBQ has been cooked in this country in a hole in the ground.

He mentioned that it is to be a backyard model. So, I really hope his 6' length is overall. Otherwise, that will be a huge backyard cooker.

I'm waiting to see his end result. I hope it's as good as I think it will be.

Ask anyone who is into bbq but they don't eat sleep and breath it like this little slice of the pie on here and they'll have no idea who SF is and if you say Jambo in front of them they'll ask you if you got a prescription for it... However, ask them if they know who Arron Franklin is and I'll bet you $10 to a doughnut their eyes will light up and they'll say "Oooooh yea!" If it's a mediocre product he'll sell them by the truck load, if it's a great product (like I'm betting it is) he'll sell them by the train load!

4ever3,

I agree. There's eventually a critical mass where even if it's terrible, there's a subset of the public that'll pony up, think they've got something great, and be none the wiser!

All that out of the way, I trust the Brethren here to know the difference, and I hope he churns out a Kick Arse pit so I can get me one!!

Back