Has Anyone Used a Yeti Cooler for Brisket Resting

Chett. L

is one Smokin' Farker
After the brisket done cooking and it’s around 180 degrees, I am wondering if anyone has used a Yeti Cooler indoors for Brisket Resting? How many hours or how many hours before dropping to 145 degrees?

Thank you.

Cooler type makes very little difference providing the air space is eliminated with towels or newspaper - and of course, the lid is kept shut. Old standby Igloo cooler packed properly has held my briskets above 145 for over 8 hours.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money where it isn't needed. A cheapo like this Coleman Party Stacker (under $25), plus some old towels, will keep a brisket over 145°F for a long time.

the general consensus (at least with homebrewing) is that a standard igloo cooler wrapped in towels loses 1-2*/hr.

If someone would like gift me a Yeti cooler, I'd be happy to run a very limited series of temp loss tests as a show of my appreciation. No takers? /sigh.

I have a cheapo (go figger) Igloo and an Ozark. Wrapped and packed, either will hold a brisket for more hours than I care to wait before slicing.

Don’t have a Yeti,,,,,
Is the question being that a Yeti is too good ?
I usually use a cheap $1.99 styrofoam cooler for holding for a party,,,
Works great
The Yeti,if I owned one, would be relegated to chilling the Chardonnay

Never used a Yeti, but insulation works both ways keeping things cold or keeping things hot. It will do the trick.

However..... at home I also use a Party Stacker, and at events it does live up to it's name because it 'stacks' perfectly on my Cambro.

To03zkM.jpg

it's also a cool vessel for sous vide, but that's another story. Bottom line, $25 well spent.

PS - Mrs ~t~ has a Party Stacker in the trunk of of her car to keep meats and such cool on shopping day.

Cooler type makes very little difference providing the air space is eliminated with towels or newspaper - and of course, the lid is kept shut. Old standby Igloo cooler packed properly has held my briskets above 145 for over 8 hours.

Thank you.

Interesting idea about eliminating the air space.

Never used a Yeti, but insulation works both ways keeping things cold or keeping things hot. It will do the trick.

However..... at home I also use a Party Stacker, and at events it does live up to it's name because it 'stacks' perfectly on my Cambro.

To03zkM.jpg

it's also a cool vessel for sous vide, but that's another story. Bottom line, $25 well spent.

PS - Mrs ~t~ has a Party Stacker in the trunk of of her car to keep meats and such cool on shopping day.

Thank you.

Cooked a couple turkey breasts for my mother-in-law's 90th birthday. Took them off the smoker at 165 IT at 8:00 am and wrapped in butcher paper and then a towel. Put them in my Yeti Roadie and headed to north Dallas. Four hours later when I got to my daughter's house they were still too hot to touch with my bare hands. Everyone said I nailed it.

Cooked a couple turkey breasts for my mother-in-law's 90th birthday. Took them off the smoker at 165 IT at 8:00 am and wrapped in butcher paper and then a towel. Put them in my Yeti Roadie and headed to north Dallas. Four hours later when I got to my daughter's house they were still too hot to touch with my bare hands. Everyone said I nailed it.

Thank you.

Cooler type makes very little difference.

But what's the point in buying grossly overpriced rotomolded coolers unless you can say you have a YETI cooler? How does one rest a brisket? Keep beer cold? Go camping? Without mentioning they have specific brand of cooler?

You could easily use the most basic Walmart 20 dollar cooler and keep a brisket, ribs, or anything else hot for the better part of a day. Couple of towels and you are good to go. As others have said, i've kept stuff hot for 6 hours and when i opened it, it was still too hot to handle without letting it sit for awhile uncovered.

If you wanted to get fancy, or if you are in a very cold location, a few members have prewarmed their coolers with hot water.

Last edited:
I have. I bought a scratched up yeti on ebay a few years ago (it was brand new, looked like it fell off a pallet or something), and there's no way I'd shell out the full cost for one. The family travels a lot so I do really like the rubber hold downs and handle because it makes it much more secure when strapped on the tow hitch rack we have for the suv, as opposed to not having a latch or plastic latches. All that being said, honestly I don't think there's much difference between the yeti and my trusty igloo. I did smoke a bunch of meat once for a family reunion that wasn't served I'd guess for 12-14ish hours. I was nervous but everything was still around 160* when we pulled it out to prep for serving. I have no side by side comparison to know if the "yeti stigma" played any role in that, I'd guess not.

Tl;dr: I don't think it matters, and you can buy a lot of meat for the savings of not going with a yeti.

Has anyone ran a thermometer probe thru the drain hole on the cooler to keep tabs on IT? I doubt that would compromise the heat retention much if at all, but who knows.

Has anyone ran a thermometer probe thru the drain hole on the cooler to keep tabs on IT? I doubt that would compromise the heat retention much if at all, but who knows.

I'd put/push your probe through the middle of a rubber stopper or even a foam ear plug (like a Mack's) and stick it the open drain hole to plug it up. That might be overkill, as I doubt you are going to get a ton of heat loss from the drain hole, but it will hold your probe in place and keep the hot air in.

I received a Yeti as a gift. I don't think I'd buy one because of the expense. Also, I don't know if they would retain odors for hot food. However, I will say that they definitely keep things on ice cold for days. The rubber feet are nice (sometimes) and you can take them off if you want to slide it....but, so heavy. You aren't walking this thing very far.

Like everyone else here, I use my old Igloo and towels if I want to hold/keep it cooking on a road trip. It will keep hot for hours.

Back