Long brisket hold skeptic

I think the single biggest factor is letting the brisket get down to 140 before slicing. When you hot hold eventually the brisket will be uniformly at that temp. There probably is some continuing fat rendering and break down of collagen but how much I don't know. It's not anything I'll ever test. I hot hold mainly out of convenience.

You guys really need to look into 185F-190F with a 150F 12 hour hold. Ive been doing it for almost a decade, Its a game changer. You will never cook a brisket to 205F ever again.

If you don't want to trust me, check out Smoke Trails BBQ on youtube.

I cant believe I'm saying this but I completely agree with Bob here

I've tried to have an open mind about the long hold, and after some thought, I suppose have done a relatively "short hold". The reason for doing so was when the brisket was not yet "probe tender" but had IT of 195-205. It seems both long and short holds are done to finish rendering soft tissues. Though we both wrap the brisket, I put mine in a 185-195 degree oven or smoker for a shorter period of time. This was the exception rather than the rule. Sometimes you get that brisket that just takes longer to cook than anticipated, but always cooked other stuff to eat. We might not have it for dinner, but party guests would taste it not too long afterward.

This leads me to wonder if we simply have two different strategies for addressing the same issue, further cooking at a lower temp to achieve additional tenderness. Just at two different speeds/temps, and only when required vs every time.

btw, those warmers you linked have major hot spots below. If you want to go that route, make sure you use a rack so the meat is not on the bottom. I would suggest water below said rack. And use a probe at rack level to monitor temp.

Those are designed to hold water in the bottom with "hotel pans" / lids suspended above. Food does not go in the water reservoir, but in the pans sitting above it.

12 hours is a minimum. It can go up to 18 hours. But to answer your question, It comes out of the Offset at 10ish (PM), rest for an hour, then wrapped in BP with some butter, Lard, Tallow w/e. then put into an aluminum pan and tented with foil on a rack above the water line in a cooler with a sous vide immersion circulator set to 155F ( theres a 5 deg diff at rack level )

Did you drill a hole in your cooler for the sous vide?

Did you drill a hole in your cooler for the sous vide?

I am using a really big cooler that is very deep. I cut the lid in half, and cut a hole in one of the halves to fit a bucket in. Then drilled a hole in the bucket to fit an anova circulator. It allows me to drop the anova deeper so i dont have to fill the cooler up with 30 gallons. It also give me more ambient air space to put a double layer rack for 2 or more briskets, ribs, pork butts.

I am using a really big cooler that is very deep. I cut the lid in half, and cut a hole in one of the halves to fit a bucket in. Then drilled a hole in the bucket to fit an anova circulator. It allows me to drop the anova deeper so i dont have to fill the cooler up with 30 gallons. It also give me more ambient air space to put a double layer rack for 2 or more briskets, ribs, pork butts.

Alright I am intrigued. I need pics. Please.

Alright I am intrigued. I need pics. Please.

Here you go.

20230821-170738.jpg

20230821-170744.jpg

20230821-170755.jpg

20230821-170802.jpg

I cant believe I'm saying this but I completely agree with Bob here

That's gotta be a hard pill to swallow, but i appreciate your knowledge and agreement on the subject. I just wish others would take this idea into consideration. But there is a lot of stubborn some B's on this forum. I mean, it took Smitty 5 years to finally commit to buying a pellet smoker. Now he can't stop himself from posting his cooks.

Back