Brisket advice

I'm learning too!!

gonna take another run at brisket, I've done 2 in the past, neither turned out great, 2nd one was slightly better. put it this way, I wouldn't have served it to friends and family but it was ok ~enough~ for me to munch on.

I'm trying to keep this simple, SPG rub, trim some fat (only the egregiously bad parts), smoke on oak/hickory at 225-250. wrap in pink paper at about 175internal baste in rendered beef tallow, finish until probe tender. rest in cooler for several (many?) hours

of course I am an inexperienced with brisket so there are many questions.

1. should I bother separating the point/flat? if so when should it be done?
2. is there a rule of thumb for the rest? how far down should I go temp wise before I serve it?

any other comments/ideas?? things to look for while cooking? etc. i'm sure more questions to come as well

I'm learning too...at least with an offset. I did so-so all those years with my bandera smoker, but then I didn't know there was any better.

First....the trim.

There's a lot of YouTube videos out there showing a good trim, and most of them blew my mind with just how MUCH they were cutting off and "throwing out".

I relaxed when I saw they were saving the trimmings for sausages and fat to render out to tallow....so, not really being wasted.

I like the Chud's video, it's a good one that explains a lot...basically you want to cut the fat down to a consistent 1/4 inch or so, so that it can render out perfectly....and for a high air flow offset, you want to to be rounded on edges and be aerodynamic.

Chud's Part 1: Brisket Trimming
https://youtu.be/YNBshHcxjd0?si=Kt8bQhR6i0rhmukU

Also, I just watched this, it's a real time brisket trim (multiple times) at Leroy and Lewis...you'll see lots of cuts repeated like Chud....but no dialog, just butchers trimming multiple briskets:
https://youtu.be/on1PyExc4_4?si=cwPiy1FOk9RyfkYI

For rub...use what you like, simple is good.
I usually used salt (kosher), black pepper, garlic powder and chili powder.

I try to have my smoker between 225F-250F when I throw the meat on.

You want fat cap towards the heat source, and with a modern offset with high flow...you generally want the fat cap up.

I point the "point" end towards the fire box...and in my smoker, I generally put mostly towards the exhaust end of the cook chamber. It depends on what all I'm cooking that day.

And I put a wireless prob in the flat end...some times, since I have the MEATER block with 4x wireless probes, I'll put one in flat and another in point to monitor both ends.

I throw it in and basically don't open the door for the first 4 or so hours....I do use a water pan in my smoker.

I generally start paying attention at "the stall" about 160-165F. A this point, I'm watching the temperature on the meat carefully.

I also tend to bump up the heat in my smoker. I try to get it up about 275F-300F.

I want the higher heat to help render the fat fully....at this point, I watch for meat to come out of the stall...and I'm poking the fat to check when it gets really mushy and rendering well.

Once I think the fat has good render I then wrap in red butcher paper.

The butcher paper is new to me and so far I like it...I love to save spent, greasy paper as that it readily ignites the next fire when I cook again.

Now....due to my trimming the brisket (mentioned earlier) so much more, I keep fat and meat in a zip baggie in freezer for sausage or burger grinding.

However, I usually reserve a bit out and throw in a metal bowl with my brisket so that it renders into tallow.

When I wrap my brisket in the red butcher paper, I pour a bit of this freshly rendered tallow in there too.

There's mixed thoughts on the tallow thing...even on this list. I think it adds the right kind of extra moisture and keeps it. And also, it makes for a hell of a wick next time I start a fire, so, why not?

I do have my paper rolled out..I put the meat fat side UP...and pour in the fresh tallow.

I then tuck and roll the meat and finish where the fat is still up.

I believe this helps preserve your bark, and allows the accumulated liquids (fat, etc) to keep the exposed meat on bottom lubricated.

I then throw this in the smoker. In general I've notice the temps at this point to be about 175F-180F range.

I then let the brisket finish in the smoker. To test for this I watch for temperature which is usually about 203F range...BUT more and more, I'm using feel to know when ready.

I reach in and try to lift the brisket wrap...in the middle. When I can feel the center of the meat start to "bend" while lifting one handed....to me, this is the ready to take off grill stage.
I THEN check temps to make sure....

But recently I stuck to the bend test...and temp has been on mark...but at times lower or higher slightly...

These days, my ass is WAY too lazy to get up at the crack of dawn to start a smoke...nor do I stay away long enough to cook all night.

I generally try to cook the day before I wanna eat Brisket.

Now, I may cook something with the brisket the cooks faster, like chicken or a turkey breast, etc....I can eat that day of cook.

The brisket, still wrapped, I put inside of a small-ish old igloo cooler with old towels on bottom and on top of the meat to insulate it and throw the lid on.

This set up is still quite hot even by mid-morning next day. If you're paranoid about temperatures, check yours in the morning when you get up, and you wanna keep in the 140F range...you can throw in oven low to keep longer.....the rest and hold till serving time is your choice.

I tend to keep a bunch of OLD towels...permanently stained (but washed between cookings) to handle my BBQ, for lining coolers, etc. I call them my BBQ Towels. Great way to get 2nd use out of old towels.

And then I had to learn how to cut the thing....got a good long, serrated knife....I find midpoint on brisket where flat meets the point cut that off and slice against the grain on the flat there where I cut.

The point, I rotate 90 degrees and then cut against the grain there. Good videos on YouTube showing this too.

Anyway....I am NEW to brisket on offset, but this is what I've picked up from Franklin and the other popular YouTube cookers....and what I've read here....and so far, it has REALLY improved my brisket from the old days.

I'm consistently in better texture....MUCH less gloomy fat (in old days I did not know to trim at all)...good fat render, good moisture...and good smoke flavor.

Actually the last one is one I want to improve on, as that I DO like a heavier smoke flavor that most I think.

I have pretty bad allergies and my nose is stopped up 96% of the time...maybe that's in.
And also, this is new to me using OAK as my wood.

I the past I used hickory, but I could not find any down here in New Orleans...heck, I had a hard time finding wood down here period, but that's in other posts.

I plan to buy some commercial wood in Hickory at Academy Sports and do a few cooks with that to see if it makes a difference.

I may also be running my fire TOO clean...I've seen videos and read about people making their fire a little more "dirty" at the beginning of the cook right when they throw the meat on.....and then let it clean up and keep it clean for rest of cook.

I'm looking to try that too with my existing oak stack.

Anyway....sounds like I'm a bit of a noob on briskets like you, but thought I'd post what's worked for me so far....and since you're looking at getting a higher end offset, thought it might help for when you get one...those thicker walls and higher airflow do change things up a bit.

HTH,

cayenne

it came out a bit dry, tougher than i was expecting. I had tried to go hot/fast last time, perhaps i overshot my cook temp (it's been a year so I'm not remembering correctly most likely)......................

Dry and tough is Under cooked.
Dry and crumbly is over cooked.

You can kinda save over cooked with drippings and/or BBQ sauce.

Back