Smoking chicken

marsh maniac

Found some matches.
Please help a newbie. I just joined the brethern and admin hasn't approved my account to use the search function or the recipe section. so please forgive the stupid question.

Now that i have a UDS with an actual thermometer, what cooking temp should i target when smoking chicken tomorrow? Also what internal temperature is "done".

Before my UDS i would smoke chicken until they where "done" but now that i have the ability to control temp a bit better I thought I'd target a more precise temp.

thanks,
mm

I like to cook chicken at 300-350*. Higher heat will help get the skin done. You "should" cook until the IT is 165*

I'm a 325-350 guy for chix. I cook to an IT of 165 in the thigh and let it rest. If I'm running my UDS without a diffuser, the therm temp can be 50-75 degrees cooler than grate temp.

If you know by instinct when yer chix are done, you may wanna stick with that. I think "just knowing" is ultimately the best way. :thumb:

I like to cook chicken at 300-350*. Higher heat will help get the skin done. You "should" cook until the IT is 165*

I'm a 325-350 guy for chix. I cook to an IT of 165 in the thigh and let it rest. If I'm running my UDS without a diffuser, the therm temp can be 50-75 degrees cooler than grate temp.

If you know by instinct when yer chix are done, you may wanna stick with that. I think "just knowing" is ultimately the best way. :thumb:

AGREED!!

If I can offer another suggestion for your chickens.....BRINE!
Whole chickens only need 5-8 hours in the brine, but it'll make a real difference in flavor, moisture and overall goodyness!

Here's a basic brine recipe:

1 quart cool water
1/2 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
1/2 cup sugar
Mix in a non-reactive container until dissolved. Substitute 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons Morton Kosher Salt or 1/4 cup table salt for Diamond Crystal.

Make 1 quart of brine for each pound of meat, not to exceed 8 quarts (2 gallons). Soak meat for 1 hour per pound, but not less than 30 minutes or longer than 8 hours. If brining multiple pieces, base the brining time on the weight of an individual piece.

Back