Freezing ABTs

TowneSA

Got Wood.
Reaction score
One of the favorites around my home as well as my friends homes are the chorizo and cheese filled ABTs. Anyone that has ever made these knows they are a lot of work and are absolutely delicious. So..., I have been asked to serve a few at a gathering (a few being about 400). Given the time it takes to make these I am wondering if anyone has any experience of freezing them after wrapping them in bacon and then thawing them out before putting them on the pit to cook????

I guessing that freezing would not be a good idea. I can't remember if the cream cheese gets altered - seems like they don't recommend freezing cream cheese - but I know the pepper itself will turn to mush if frozen.

Of course, the simplest way to is try a few and report back. :wink:

I froze some for about a week, they did OK once thawed, but I would not go much longer...

I guessing that freezing would not be a good idea. I can't remember if the cream cheese gets altered - seems like they don't recommend freezing cream cheese - but I know the pepper itself will turn to mush if frozen.

Of course, the simplest way to is try a few and report back. :wink:

I'm curious as to how they have bacon wrapped ABT style peppers at the walmart freezer section. I've never tried them as I'd rather make my own, but I would like to know the outcome of the trial run if you do it! Depending on how long it will be in the freezer, It seems very plausible

I never had luck freezing peppers.. There is no way i would make 400 of them. Sounds like a full days worth of work

I've never had any luck thawing frozen peppers, they always turn to mush. If you've gotta make 400, I hope you have help. We made a couple dozen, when camping. Fortunately, my co-cook, and another guy jumped in, to help. It only took about 15 minutes, to make 24-36 ABT's. Assembly line is the only way to go.

Matt

You know, now that I think about it, I wonder if you could cook them from a frozen state instead of throwing them out? Wouldn't that help keep the peppers from tuning to mush? maaaybe not!! Just a thought. lol

Then again..... I couldn't imagine making 400 abt's, Only way to do it is an assembly line as el_matt has mentioned.

You know, now that I think about it, I wonder if you could cook them from a frozen state instead of throwing them out? Wouldn't that help keep the peppers from tuning to mush? maaaybe not!! Just a thought. lol

Then again..... I couldn't imagine making 400 abt's, Only way to do it is an assembly line as el_matt has mentioned.

Assembly line is a for sure thing, my plan if freezing them for some time works is to gather the helpers on 2 different occasions making about 200 each gathering. In the past I made the ABTs and then put them in the freezer for one night and had no real difference in textures. They thaw out so fast that by the time I got them on the grill they were already half thawed anyway.

My thought is that the cream cheese will do fine but that the pepper itself will be a bit soft but that the bacon should give some support and texture back to pepper. Just thoughts.....

The cell walls in the peppers will collapse ....rendering the pepper mushy (most likely)....if you happen upon some big, thick-walled peppers, maybe it could just barely work out, but I'd hate to see 400 of those little angels go down the tubes....

The assembly line deal is best.....cut & core the peppers, stack up any internal ingredients (Smokies, etc.) let the bacon sit out while this is going on so it softens up a bit (makes it easier to stretch) then go all assembly line on 'em.....

1 lb. takes me about 20 min. to top & core, then wrapping is up to 90~100 per hour on a good day with some good rockin' tunes or a good movie playin' in the background....
In the case of doing up a bunch, I would use toothpicks to hold them together better during the various handlings 'till done....

KenBBQ5782011012.jpg

That's about 105 on two decks of a standard Weber.....just multiply by four !!!!!!!

Ok, made and froze some Abts. After a week in the freezer at -3 I pulled them out and put on the grill. The texture of the pepper itself was a little less crisp but otherwise you couldn't tell they had been frozen. Next experiment willl be to blanch the peppers first and see if that keeps them more crisp. In all honesty though, you could barely notice they had been frozen.

Good deal.....I've tried it a few times & they were a bit more mushy than I liked, but it could be I cooked a little too hot & that got to the peppers....glad it works !!!!

Back