THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I would like to see the awards won by all seven pitmasters listed on one page and have the comments from those judges listed below them. Where did they (judges) come from? Heaven? Had to come from a place with perfect BBQ. Could you imagine being the waiter at Applebee's and those judges all sat at a table and ordered ribs:eek:, they would probably throw up on the table.

A good show tonight I think it was the best of the season. I just wish they would make it look like it was more fun. I want to see a little more drinking in the show.

Great show tonight and IMO the best of the season. What scares me as a competition BBQ cook is these folks have changed competition BBQ. They have raised the bar and got people interested! Way to go and my hat goes off to all of them for taking the time to making this show. Can't wait to see what the 2nd season of Pitmaster's will be like!

Don't know if there coming back for another season but you watch bbq take off this year. Everybody and his brother will be out there smoking and grilling now. It is going to put bbq on the map bigger than ever now.

I would like to see the awards won by all seven pitmasters listed on one page and have the comments from those judges listed below them. Where did they (judges) come from? Heaven? Had to come from a place with perfect BBQ. Could you imagine being the waiter at Applebee's and those judges all sat at a table and ordered ribs:eek:, they would probably throw up on the table.

Jeff and Lynn Shivers were the lead judges
They have run the IBCA for years

like i would give a **** if johnny trig dropped his rack. I'd be like pick that happy **** up and slice me off some.

Another thing I thought was ironic is Harry Soo won on two 18" bullets against all those expensive pits.

Last edited:
I'm going to swim upstream tonight and say that this was possibly the worst episode of the series. The concept was OK, but it just fell flat for me. One category? Really? OK, you might be able to stretch and turn it into two "mini categories", but that was a serious letdown for me. Even backyard cookers have to cook two meats!

I'm sorry, but I have to be honest and say that it was largely a yawn for me. The concept had potential that, to me, wasn't capitalized upon. Even my wife agreed, and she's just a competition observer.

John

Last edited:
I agree with you, John, it was not as exciting as a real comp episode but it was interesting to see them in a more intimate setting at Johnny Trigg's house. If it had been on all year it would have been an okay season ender. Maybe a party at a bar like on The Deadliest Catch (with recap videos) would be better.

Last edited:
I'm going to swim upstream tonight and say that this was possibly the worst episode of the series. The concept was OK, but it just fell flat for me. One category? Really? OK, you might be able to stretch and turn it into two "mini categories", but that was a serious letdown for me. Even backyard cookers have to cook two meats!

I'm sorry, but I have to be honest and say that it was largely a yawn for me. The concept had potential that, to me, wasn't capitalized upon. Even my wife agreed, and she just watches me compete.

John

John on the full concept of competition BBQ I agree with you. As a wrap on a TV show they pulled out there ass at the last minute I think it was a neat change of direction from what we saw the last 7 weeks. My guees is the producers wanted a little different twist to end the season.

Well here are my dos centavos....

Leeann....pack your eggs up and DRIVE!!! Serves you right for using borrowed gear. I think I could hear Rick yell out............WhoTF uses LF in an egg?
Paul--Not bad. His looked the best to me on the screen at least.
Trigg--Gotta love the old guy. Class act Texan right there. I'd give the left one just to sit and talk to him for a hour or two or three.
Myron--Eh!! No real feel one way or the other.
Tuffy--Down to Earth guy.
Harry--Nice to see him win.
Geer--I Love the guy!! I only wish he had used some habanero powder instead!! LOL. I'm REALLY liking them Jambo Pits. PURDY!!

Favorite quote...."You're just listening to the fat broad!" I'd love to make her eat some tripita tacos just to see that little scowl on her face!! :twisted:
Lastly, what the hell was that guy with the ugly sweater doing there. All he knew and wanted was "more sauce!" LOL!!

Last edited:
Show reminded me just how much fun it is to Q.

Hope they bring it back!

We need smell-o-vision and taste-o-vision for this though. Forget about that 3D rubbish.

Hats off to you competition BBQ'ers among us. As a hobby BBQ-er it was great to see the dynamic among the regular competitors. Mister Congeniality trophy to Myron! And when I grow up I'm getting a crib like the host.

I was talking to Jamie Geer a few months back and he was telling me that the Teutul's had called him about building a pit on the American Choppers show and he stated that he wasn't sure if he could do it since he was still under contract with TLC for the Pitmasters show. Therefore I guess there is still an option out there for another season. That said perhaps they will have a new set of teams for next year.

I had heard that the show was one of their more successful series at TLC. If that were the case, perhaps it will be back for that reason.

While I like the show a bunch, I found it to be overly dramatized.

I'm sorry, but I have to be honest and say that it was largely a yawn for me. The concept had potential that, to me, wasn't capitalized upon. Even my wife agreed, and she's just a competition observer.

John

For entertainment sake, I liked it. However, even as a finale, if we're
going to modify a format, expand it, not shrink it. I'd almost like to have
seen a combination of MBN & KCBS categories (although I'm not certain
what Harry would've/could've done with a Whole Hog)... I dont know,
more categories, not less. I was disappointed where that's concerned.

I hope it's back next year. I really enjoyed the show.

Back