THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was told that the show did not receive automatic renewal because it did not average a 9.0 in the ratings. This is the TLC requirement for automatic renewal. That said, the show did receive about an 8.3 average and still may be picked up for next year. They will probably make that determination in a few weeks. I would imagine that the show did well with partial demographics but I guess they need to haul in a few of the ladies.

After thinking about it, I would imagine that having folks like Paul do well in the end will allow for the Regular Joe to dream of success out there on the competitive BBQ circuit. Hopefully this show will bring in some new blood and revitalize some old blood. So overall this show might be a success for years to come even if it doesn’t return next season.

Uh, Not sure where you got those ratings numbers but they are way, way off. If this show averaged an 8.3 it would be in the top 25 of all tv shows, broadcast or cable. The ratings are not even close to that. Last weeks show didnt even make the top 15 Cable shows.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/nielsens-charts.htm

That being said I hope they renew the show because I've enjoyed it but the ratings have been anything but blockbuster, even for cable.

I think it's the judges, not the cook or the cooker. Tell me seriously that you believe that the ribs presented were as bad as the judges seemed to think they were. Load of BS and just goes to show how little science there is in comp BBQ! Who cares though, I still love doing it!

Coming from the other side, comp bbqers tend to think that their bbq is better than it is and that they always deserve a higher score. Some kcbs comp people are flat out aggressive and mean, which makes me thank God for the double blind system. They are already trying to push scores higher in judge training.

I know how expensive it is to compete (and do it myself), but geez.

Not directed at you at all, just an observation.

I'm going to swim upstream tonight and say that this was possibly the worst episode of the series. The concept was OK, but it just fell flat for me. One category? Really? OK, you might be able to stretch and turn it into two "mini categories", but that was a serious letdown for me. Even backyard cookers have to cook two meats!

I'm sorry, but I have to be honest and say that it was largely a yawn for me. The concept had potential that, to me, wasn't capitalized upon. Even my wife agreed, and she's just a competition observer.

John

I agree with you to a point. The totally fabricated for TV comp and what was obviously scripted precook bet arrangement was disappointing compared to the previous episodes. Also it was clear the judges were told to make some good TV comments about the food, and not hold back, even if they didn't know they were being watched. And the "Big Seven" were all playing to the cameras also. Fake reality TV, and not a great Q show.

However as entertainment I found it pretty dam entertaining, and it was the first time we've watched all the faces as all the results have been read out. I've been dissapointed at the results part of the previous show, that's why they do it but we have seen little of it.

Dave

Unfortunately, as a resident of a mere colonial backwater, they won't allow me to view the vids, and don't give me the option to d\l them at my leisure either.
Thanks for going to the trouble of finding me the link though, it's appreciated. Cheers.

Thats wild. How do they block videos on random sites like TLC?

Good ending to a good series. This episode was likely my fav so far. I am a bit confused how Paul got 2nd and 4th, and Harry got 1st and 6th, and Harry won?

Thats wild. How do they block videos on random sites like TLC?

Most likely, TLC is the one blocking the videos. It's very easy to do - they look at the incoming IP address, and if your ip address isn't from the US (or other allowed regions), they deny the request. This is usually because they have agreements with other regions' stations to rebroadcast episodes at some later date. (Or, may be hoping to have one.)

There are ways of using proxies to get around the ip address ban, but I've never done it or researched it. I don't think its too hard, though.

Good ending to a good series. This episode was likely my fav so far. I am a bit confused how Paul got 2nd and 4th, and Harry got 1st and 6th, and Harry won?

I think it was all based on actual points. So harry might have won the first round and got 9 points for his backs while maybe Paul only got 7 pts....

Then on sides maybe, since most sides were bad, 4th might have been 5 points while 6th place was 4 points...

Using this example - Harry's total is 14 points versus Paul's 11.... I think more points were given out on backs since the ribs appeared to please some of the judges.... On side ribs all the judges seemed to dislike most, so I bet the scores were really low but someone still had to win.....

Uh, Not sure where you got those ratings numbers but they are way, way off. If this show averaged an 8.3 it would be in the top 25 of all tv shows, broadcast or cable. The ratings are not even close to that. Last weeks show didnt even make the top 15 Cable shows.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/nielsens-charts.htm

That being said I hope they renew the show because I've enjoyed it but the ratings have been anything but blockbuster, even for cable.

I don't know how the ratings were done. They might be based on non network I guess I could have gotten more info and will try to learn more. Perhaps my info is wrong. Again sorry if I gave out bogus info. That said I guess we will learn whether the show is picked up for another season soon enough.

I really like the show. I love Jamie Geer and thought the pepper trick was hilarious (and yes I'm a judge, but I could take the heat:rolleyes:). I've gotten to understand Myron's character better and am OK with him. The only one I have a problem with is Lee Ann. It seems every week she just finds someone new to blame her problems on. Now that her boyfriend is gone, it's the fault of someone nice enough to loan her his eggs:confused: I hope the show is renewed, but how about some new characters:!:

I really like the show. I love Jamie Geer and thought the pepper trick was hilarious (and yes I'm a judge, but I could take the heat:rolleyes:). I've gotten to understand Myron's character better and am OK with him. The only one I have a problem with is Lee Ann. It seems every week she just finds someone new to blame her problems on. Now that her boyfriend is gone, it's the fault of someone nice enough to loan her his eggs:confused: I hope the show is renewed, but how about some new characters:!:

Good point. I thought the same thing.

Back