THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is YOUR Favorite Smoker Design?

• Total voters
"Other"

Well Ray, I thought you might like to consider some "other" types of home builds. When I first joined, I spent a great deal of time searching the Internet for designs and it was quite entertaining. I saw everything from old converted ice boxes (refigerators are not bad because they are insulated) to VW's and just about anything else you could immagine.

So today, I could only remember where I had seen these two for you to think about. A converted truck and a couple of bath tubs (they could have made an offset using the crapper as the fire fox, neighbors would love that). Amazing what one can do when money is a problem and one loves to Q.

So don't trade in that old beater or just refirb a couple of bath rooms. (PS Don't convert the wifes ride unless she OKs the project!)

Attachments

• truckbbq2.jpg
    truckbbq2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 305
  • truckbbq3.jpg
    truckbbq3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 302
  • truckbbq1.jpg
    truckbbq1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 303
  • truckbbq4.jpg
    truckbbq4.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 303
  • truckbbq5.jpg
    truckbbq5.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 302
  • bathtubbq.jpg
    bathtubbq.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 302
I have been cooking BBQ for about 10-11 years now and I started out with ye ole faithful ECB. I modified it until it cooked right, boy do I wish I would have had you guys around during that time!

It had seen better days after several years use and sadly neglect, and was retired after I built my first horizontal drum.
http://b4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01088/43/02/1088452034_l.jpg
I liked it but it was a fuel hog and didn't cook very evenly from side to side due to design problems. I met a guy who had a gas smoker, and I razzed him over using gas, until I helped him out a few times cooking on it. I noticed some real advantages to not having to wake up every 40-60 minutes to stoke a fire, check temps, add wood etc. during a long cooking session with my fuel hog. I have to say I love my newer gas smoker. I was working toooonnnns of hours at my job when I bought it, and had more money than time (honestly more of a curse than most people want to admit to).
http://a197.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/1/l_9cec033434e3a0bfadd8f6e9ee5cedbc.jpg

http://a34.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/55/l_c918a79a96bfdbee91bada9722b3be11.jpg

http://a93.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/3/l_c283be436e73caa57c3a9af7dc54388c.jpg

I got this one from bqgrills http://www.bqgrills.com and I am so glad I did! There is a smoke box on the back that will take 18" logs and there are two pipe burners that run the length of the cooking chamber with 2 large heat deflectors that provide even heating. I can set the temperature by adjusting the pressure regulator on the gas bottle, and as long as there is gas, shes not gonna budge. I used to be one of the guys saying that gas cookers cant make good cue. I am here to tell you I am PICKY PICKY PICKY with my ribs and bbq, and I have had more compliments since buying the gas cooker than i did with wood/charcoal.
I think you guys should at least give some consideration to those of us who know the plus side to using propane. I see almost no representation here.
PS (the images wouldn't load in, sorry about so many urls)

I think you guys should at least give some consideration to those of us who know the plus side to using propane. I see almost no representation here.
PS (the images wouldn't load in, sorry about so many urls)

Hank Hill would be proud of you Fatbowee!!

I'm a stickburner kinda guy. I know you can turn out good grub with a gas burner. Most all chain Q joints and locally owned high production joints do the same thing, but it just doesn't taste the same as if it was cooked with a totally hardwood heatsource.

I can go out for oven smoked pork at several places around town, but other than what I cook, there's only one other place in Tulsa that I can get Q cooked on a stick burner. If it wasn't worth the effort, I'd quit doin it.

I must admit though, the lazy factor genes in my a** bone have tempted me that direction many a time.

Here is my idea for modifying my ECB. I guess you could almost start from scratch, but why not use the ECB. Basically, you build a firebox underneath it. Here are the improved features:

1. The charcoal pan (yellow box in drawing) is made of expanded metal so it can breath well, and it sits up, so air can flow underneath it and the ash can fall through to the bottom. The air holes on the side will have some kind of regulator. The charcoal pan will slide out so you can tend the fire.

2. By moving the charcoal pan out of the ECB housing, you can add 1 or maybe even 2 more grills for increased cooking space.

3. Firebox will be enclosed, rather than have gaps around the edges like the standard ECB. This should lead to better fire control.

4. Opening the door to tend fire will let some heat out, but the majority above shoud stay fairly constant.

Attachments

• ECB_mod.jpg
    ECB_mod.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 234
Yeah, I know. UDS is probably the way to go. I think I could scrape up enought metal for this though, and I have access to a welder.

Andy

how come i have sooty deposits on barrel sides ,,not burning hot enough??

should i try reseasoning with cooking oil ?? seems to cook very well and not overly smokey tasting ,, any suggestion would be appreciated thank you

Prior to building my UDS, my only other smoker experience was an ECB. There is night and day difference between the two.
When it comes to easy to build and inexpensive it is hard to beat a UDS. It gives great results as well. It won't feed an army, but it will do the average party you would do at home.
Its easy enough to cook on and if you are learning, it allows to you to not worry about the fire as much and concentrate on all the other things that new pit masters need to know. It will cook as long as most would want on a single load of fuel and you can even sleep through the night most of the time.
Yes I voted for UDS.

i have been using all lump and cleaning what ever is left ,, but thanks for ideas

Galactic smoker

I had to share this smoker / grill made from old webber and a half-size beer keg. Just did a burn out this week and hopefully will be able to do a full test run.

SSS first fire.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back