THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is YOUR Favorite Smoker Design?

• Total voters
On those gravity-feed systems, how do you keep the whole chute of coals from going up like one big chimney?

The top of the chute (where you load the charcoal) has a door on it that seals air tight. the chute fills with carbon monoxide so there is no oxygen.

there is about a 6" cube of burning coals at the bottom of the chute.

Captain Caveman, what are some of the improvements you would do next time?

Bigger wheels(pneumatic), fold down shelves on both sides (for prep work), I would also change how I did the hinges on the main door. A place to hook a winch so I could load the heavy thing in my truck.

Just minor things like that. But hell, it runs so smooth my wife can run it.:shock:

Ive been thinking that an offset Egg would be the Cats Ass. Ultra insulated ceramic - both firebox and vertical cooking chamber. This allows easy access to the firebox to add wood.

Of course I don't have an Egg yet. But i want one. So here I am trying to improve on the Egg without having one. I know I know. Everyone who has an Egg loves it!

My Dera is a fuel hog. But thats the only thing I don't like about it. I love the vertical cooking chamber with the big door and the easy access to the food. And I like the offset firebox design. I can burn whatever I want in it and its easy to get to. Plus all the heat is off to the side, not right under your food.

Hey Ray great topic. I couldn't decide which I liked best so I have a full arsenal of smokers.

Here is my version of the Big Smokey. Using 2 barrells with removable lids I made an angle iron door frame and heavy checkplate door, the upper barrell does not have the open lid like the Big Smokey instead the whole end is held on by 4 latches and it removes to allow access to a slide rack, this keeps water out when not in use and you don't have to worry about sharp edges or warping. Note the two exhaust stacks are screwed into the threaded openings in the lid (note the dampers on the stacks to close them off from the weather), while the two connecting stacks between the barrells have fully operational dampers. This thing is 4 years old with no rust or burn thru. Fire is placed on a thick grate 3 inches off the bottom. The only thing I would change on this design would be to place the opening for the upper barrell on the opposite end instead of having both openings on the same end (no grease to drip on the firebox door)

UDS004-copy.jpg

The next thing I have are 3 modified UDS barrells that I have started using for local comps and for my own weekend smoking treats.

UDS003-copy.jpg

And when I feed the masses I built a large offset smoker out of a 500 gallon propane tank. This little baby will hold 22 shoulders with no problem.

picnic003-copy.jpg

Modified vertical 3 bay cabinet style smoker in the works along with 30 foot enclosed comp trailer.

The top of the chute (where you load the charcoal) has a door on it that seals air tight. the chute fills with carbon monoxide so there is no oxygen.

there is about a 6" cube of burning coals at the bottom of the chute.

SO where does the ash go? I may try this

Mike

The traditional horizontal log burner looks "sexy" and is a mainstay in the BBQ world. Without "reverse flow", the various temp zones can be used to your advantage. With "reverse flow" (ala Lang), you can have a larger area of even temps if that is what you want.
The "stacked" cookers with the fire in a chamber below and/or separated from the smoke chamber work very well.

TIM

Tim,
Can you (or someone else) expand a bit on the reverse flow / non-reverse flow designs? Or provide a link with some technical info or dimensions? I need to start design on a big cooker.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Any downside to making the ash box bigger? Seems to me as along as it is sealed it should not matter
Mike

Any downside to making the ash box bigger? Seems to me as along as it is sealed it should not matter
Mike

Are you saying make the whole chute bigger or just the ashbox?

It seems that if the whole chute is bigger then you would end up with more coals lit along the bottom of the grate and consequently, higher temps.

Nebbie question. Why do u need a temp gauge on your fire box. I have 2 oven temp gauges in my "ECB" on the grate, is this enough or do i need on in the fire box as well?

Having read this thread can I ask a question please? I was all ready to build an offset out of some old propane cylinders I'd found 'til I started reading about the ubiquitous Ugly Drum Smokers. Having looked at them I'm trying hard to justify the idea of building the offset when I can have a UDS for much less time, effort and expense. OK, I've got the problem of convincing SWMBO to let me keep a converted oil drum in the back garden but (a) She's seen worse and (b) I'm hoping the output from the smoker will convince her to let it stay!! I love the look of the offset units but they seem geared towards higher volume production that I'm ever going to need as I just can't see myself smoking that much meat.
Anyhow, my question is, once fired up is a UDS more 'maintenance free' than an offset? I get the impression that you lay in the briquettes, fire 'em up and, apart from monitoring and the odd ash displacement jiggle, you don't have to re-stoke 'em whereas the offsets need re-stoking at regular intervals, woudl this seem fair?
p.s. if I don't use the large propane cylinder for an offset I'll turn it into a grill with a lid instead!:-D

Back