$60k to research Making a smoker

By the way. If the ultimate goal is to most efficiently move heat past meat, then why are we still talking about offset.

The most efficient would be a fire built at the base of a cylinder. With the meat suspended above. Like a UDS.

On Edit. See this link. They use a plate to create a vortex within the drum.

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/

Any thoughts on what this design would do to fuel consumption? Would seem like a pretty significant increase if it is pulling that much more air

Any thoughts on what this design would do to fuel consumption? Would seem like a pretty significant increase if it is pulling that much more air

Should be quite reasonable fuel consumption because I am controlling the flow using airspeed, not volume. Also, I am using 20mm thick ceramic insulation under 1mm thick stainless steel door and body skins to keep all of the heat inside. other than the exhaust, Most of the escaping heat will come from the 8mm thick, 20mm long metal stand offs that are welded to the body that touch the stainless steel skins and the 4mm screws used to attach them.

By the way. If the ultimate goal is to most efficiently move heat past meat, then why are we still talking about offset.

The most efficient would be a fire built at the base of a cylinder. With the meat suspended above. Like a UDS.

On Edit. See this link. They use a plate to create a vortex within the drum.

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/

It's a good question, and the answer is this: Heat rises. And the taller the structure, the more of a heat difference between the top and the bottom. The flatter the plane horizontally, the more even the cooking. It would be interesting for someone to place a thermometer at the top and bottom of the drums to see what the temperature difference is. But, even 10 degrees will have a huge impact when cooking a batch of meat for hours.

Someone is wanted by Interpol and they have a documentary sucking themselves off, but they have the time to post here. It's crazy! This thread is excellent though.

Someone is wanted by Interpol and they have a documentary sucking themselves off, but they have the time to post here. It's crazy! This thread is excellent though.

Russian interference in an election? Looks like a Trump hit piece to me. I'm out.

Always forget how people on this forum can be rude, ignorant,
and shallow to new members. What a shame.

It's a good question, and the answer is this: Heat rises. And the taller the structure, the more of a heat difference between the top and the bottom. The flatter the plane horizontally, the more even the cooking. It would be interesting for someone to place a thermometer at the top and bottom of the drums to see what the temperature difference is. But, even 10 degrees will have a huge impact when cooking a batch of meat for hours.

So remember a UDS has a lid. And specifically placed exhaust ports or holes. So the heat rises, hits the top of the drum, and then, creates some form of turbulence until it finds an exit.

It’s not a true chimney. This also helps even the heat. I have a small 30 gallon Pit Barrel cooker and a FireBoard with 6 probes. I’ll run it when I get a chance and share the temp data.

Also think about a pizza oven. It has a domed/parabolic top inner surface designed to reflect the heat back at the stone. I know my reverse flow Lang also has an oven effect from the temp of the steel smoke chamber and reverse flow plate. And the temp is hottest at the bottom corner of the reverse flow plate where it meets the firebox.

And. See this old thread of mine. We can already agree that a consistent temperature is not necessary for cooking food. My Electric Oven is less steady than my Wood fired Lang.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277939

So again what is the object of reducing turbulence. Is it possible that helps with the flavor. Could a smoker be too efficient and while effectively cooking, not impart enough smoke flavor?

(On reflection cooking over an open grate fire with no cylinder or restrictions is the most efficient from a turbulence reduction. And you do get fire and wood flavor cooking that method.)

And. See this old thread of mine. We can already agree that a consistent temperature is not necessary for cooking food. My Electric Oven is less steady than my Wood fired Lang.

So again what is the object of reducing turbulence. Is it possible that helps with the flavor. Could a smoker be too efficient and while effectively cooking, not impart enough smoke flavor?

(On reflection cooking over an open grate fire with no cylinder or restrictions is the most efficient from a turbulence reduction. And you do get fire and wood flavor cooking that method.)
Oh no, you WANT the turbulence!! It's what distributes the smoke and heat evenly. But you want it in the right place, and you want good airflow also. L

Always forget how people on this forum can be rude, ignorant,
and shallow to new members. What a shame.

If he can post a youtube link to a non BBQ related documentary that was funded by the Russian government then I can post an article that also talks about his past right? Of course that video shows him in a very glowing light, but the article mentions some pretty shady stuff as well. The whole thing gives a very weird vibe. I was rude last night though so I apologize for that.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/article/20120802/NEWS/812028296

Doubt is fair and I have a share of it as well.

However I’ve seen lots more BBQ related videos on this forum with people ‘sucking themselves off’ as well as plenty of vendor donated slobbering.

If he can post a youtube link to a non BBQ related documentary that was funded by the Russian government then I can post an article that also talks about his past right? Of course that video shows him in a very glowing light, but the article mentions some pretty shady stuff as well. The whole thing gives a very weird vibe. I was rude last night though so I apologize for that.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/article/20120802/NEWS/812028296

Oh, the reporter who was sleeping with the Chief Deputy? Yeah, an unbiased article, to be sure. For instance, when she asked me who my clients were, I refused to tell her , she wrote that I probably didn't have a job, despite her and three of her colleagues coming to my office suite the week before. Or leaving out the fact that the girl who accused me of harassment after I wrote her up three times for safety violations said I did so in a graveyard on Halloween night, months before I even lived in the state. Fake news. But there is plenty of cooperation of what I went through with the Sheriff's Office. And if you want, you can listen to the audio yourself and listen to them talking about it.

Oh, the reporter who was sleeping with the Chief Deputy? Yeah, an unbiased article, to be sure. For instance, when she asked me who my clients were, I refused to tell her , she wrote that I probably didn't have a job, despite her and three of her colleagues coming to my office suite the week before. Or leaving out the fact that the girl who accused me of harassment after I wrote her up three times for safety violations said I did so in a graveyard on Halloween night, months before I even lived in the state. Fake news. But there is plenty of cooperation of what I went through with the Sheriff's Office. And if you want, you can listen to the audio yourself and listen to them talking about it.

I wasn't trying to take any sides when I posted the article. I watched some of the youtube doc and then I found the article. There are several sides to every story, but in this case I really don't have interest in any of them. In my opinion the doc you posted and the article I posted have nothing to do with the topic at hand and neither of them should have been brought into this thread.

I was rude with my response last night and I have already apologized for that. I also shouldn't have continued to derail the topic today. The whole thing is really odd, but I have no reason to give it another thought.

Oh, I didn't think you were rude, no apologies needed, no worries! You must be a really nice guy because I'm used to an entirly different level of rude ��

SO, the purpose of reduction turbulence initially, is that you want a clean airflow (laminar) until you reach the cooking chamber. The turbulence should begin after the hot air/smoke passes through the opening of the side wall and the buffer plate and is accelerated. If you have turbulent air under the buffer plate, then it won't pass efficiently through the buffer plate. That's the reason for the curves instead of corner on three sides. The buffer plate will start the smoke rolling into turbulence, while the heat will continue at speed up, across and down, rolling the smoke as it goes. That's left will hit that corner where the right side of the buffer plate meets the right side, and create that smoky vortex I am looking to achieve. Anyway, that's at least my theory. It works well on the model, and if the software can evaluate the combustion of a jet engine, I think it should be pretty darned accurate for this much simpler purpose.

Back