Smoker Design Discussion

What is YOUR Favorite Smoker Design?

• Total voters
Does the firebox need to be 1/4" or does the whole smoker need to be 1/4"?

I have built both a large offset and a drum smoker. I would take the offset every day of the week and twice an Sundays. It is a lot more work to build , but in the end, you will have a piece of equipment that you can use forever and gives you the versatility to cook big or small with great results.

The thicker the metal of the cook chamber, The harder it is for outside elements-----Rain, Wind, Sleet, Snow to effect the temps inside. Right.
The MOAB is made out of All 1/4 inch. Most Klose products are. Their heavy though, over 1000 pounds for the bigger units.

ah.
Thanks for the help. I'm going to take all of these things in consideration. I'll see what I can put together.

Here are some pics of a very simple smoker, made of a fuel oil tank and an old heating stove like Norcoredneck was suggesting. It is used commercially by a small take-out place here in Vermont.

I think the field stone base classes it up substantially. :mrgreen:

Smoker.jpg

Smoker2.jpg

Ray-
here is one I built. It is similar to the "Stumps". I am only 1 hr north of you if you ever want to take a look / measurements. It runs for about 13 hours on a 10# bag of lump (probably longer if I would keep the door shut).

I also have a couple offsets you can look at.

Firebox side painted 4-1-07.jpg

Oh my god, I'm so building that Big Smokey double thing. That is awesome, if not just to make my neighbors go...what the fark.

Except for all that work and size, it seems like a terrible lack of cooking space. I can't see why in a drum you couldn't put in at least two levels of racks? And I'd consider spliting the big door into two so that you only let out the heat to access the area you need.

Also would put a rack in the bottom for keeping the fire off the bricks for airflow.

So cool...wonder if it would be too tall if you built it directly onto a small tow trailer.

That lack of space is why I want to turn my barrel vertically & make it more like an offset. I think I can fit 4 racks on it and have plenty of room to hang a hog or something.

PS: I had to vote for the poor ECB... he was so lonely!

That thing is sweet Captain! You do good work!

Thanks, but it isn't perfect (I kinda got in a hurry on some things) and there are some things I would do differently next time.

The quality is not as good as most professional pit builders, but it fits my needs and more importantly my budget. Although it has ran 16 hrs without refuling @ 225 :biggrin: .

Back