$60k to research Making a smoker

I wish I could help but I sold my plasma cutter and presses to raise money to send to a Nigerian Prince,who in return will transfer $24 million USA dollars to my account,of which I am entitled to 99% of proceeds.Once the transaction is complete,I may be interested in another investment.Just funning.I mean no disrespect to anyone.Good luck with your endeavor.:wink:

Oh good, I thought it was just me.
Ed

For the last time, I'm not looking for an investor, just a builder. I have the money to spend on this project. Or perhaps they can't read in Iowa?

For the last time, I'm not looking for an investor, just a builder. I have the money to spend on this project. Or perhaps they can't read in Iowa?

Easy my friend. Sarcasm doesn’t translate well.

Clearly there are some doubts as to the reason you wouldn’t just find a CNC machine over there. Or in Europe. Must be easier to test the results if you had access to it after being built.

More questions. Just more questions.

Easy my friend. Sarcasm doesn’t translate well.

Clearly there are some doubts as to the reason you wouldn’t just find a CNC machine over there. Or in Europe. Must be easier to test the results if you had access to it after being built.

More questions. Just more questions.
Im going to build one here also. Truth is, I'm not a great BBQer. And, if I can find someone knowledgeable in the US that cN prove it works well, there could be a good market for it. No one will listen to a guy wanted by Interpol, with no name in the BBQ smoking world.

I could be wrong but I can't find anywhere in the thread that the original poster has asked for any cash investment? It appears as though he's looking for someone with the equipment to prototype his idea.
It seems the worst thing that could happen to someone that took up the offer would end up with a BBQ that is either a game changer or a dud?

Am I the only one who can't access the images in the links?

Nonetheless, I'm fascinated.

I'm so very interested in your end product. Quite a unique perspective you're taking for the design route. Love it!

I'm so very interested in your end product. Quite a unique perspective you're taking for the design route. Love it!

Thanks! I'm just thinking about that people like and don't like about different types of grills, and thinking how to overcome the limitations of each using a scientific approach that most people don't have access to. Seems like people just throw together a smoker and don't know what is really happening inside. Airflow is a funny thing. if you have a wide cavity and then immediately Force the air into a small cavity, that airdlow is smooth and archs is way into the smaller cavity, changing its speed on the process (getting faster). It can mean airflow isn't getting to certain parts of the food, where some places are hot and some places are cold. Or something places are saturated constantly with fresh smoke while other are stagnant. Can smoke become stale? I would imagine probably yes. It makes sense that while the smoke is leaving its flavor in the meat, the meat is also leaving the flavor in the smoke. That's why you can smell meat when it's cooking. and like a sponge, the dryer the sponge, the more water can absorb. If you tried to absorb a bunch of water with a sponge that's already soaking wet, you're not going to make any progress. and so I'm looking to design this it with as even air flow is possible while maintaining a reasonable speed of airflow to evacuate the old smoke. Will it work? I think yes but who knows for sure?

Wish I had the skills to fab one. Very interesting idea. The telephone caught flak when it was first introduced. Let us keep an open mind.

Thanks! I'm just thinking about that people like and don't like about different types of grills, and thinking how to overcome the limitations of each using a scientific approach that most people don't have access to. Seems like people just throw together a smoker and don't know what is really happening inside. Airflow is a funny thing. if you have a wide cavity and then immediately Force the air into a small cavity, that airdlow is smooth and archs is way into the smaller cavity, changing its speed on the process (getting faster). It can mean airflow isn't getting to certain parts of the food, where some places are hot and some places are cold. Or something places are saturated constantly with fresh smoke while other are stagnant. Can smoke become stale? I would imagine probably yes. It makes sense that while the smoke is leaving its flavor in the meat, the meat is also leaving the flavor in the smoke. That's why you can smell meat when it's cooking. and like a sponge, the dryer the sponge, the more water can absorb. If you tried to absorb a bunch of water with a sponge that's already soaking wet, you're not going to make any progress. and so I'm looking to design this it with as even air flow is possible while maintaining a reasonable speed of airflow to evacuate the old smoke. Will it work? I think yes but who knows for sure?

I'm a retired HVAC guy of 30 years and building control and airflow and perfect temp control was my thing. Hospitals, Military, and perfect temp control for cancer treatment drugs etc. Your speaking of a slight vortex effect in your comment. I agree 100% We used them often in building and system design. We had software to show airflow variables but none as advanced as yours.

Fascinating! Interestingly, it shows exactly what my square simulation shows... the 90 degree corners are a problem. And it also shows the acceleration of the air as it passes through the smaller opening of the buffer plate. I can see you played around with that with your movable part on the top. Very smart of you!

Check it out:
Square Model Simulation Video
It's the same stagnant airflow in the center.

and then check out my new model:
New Model Simulation Video

Last edited:
Also, I want advice on the shelves. No one can come up with a concrete answer on the distance of the shelves, so I put together a system that has no effect on the airflow and is adjustable in 50mm increments:
Shelf Overview
Shelf Rack up close
Rack Support Assembly Physical dynamics video

The shelves in this will be 29 inches in depth by 30 inches wide, as shown with 6 shelves in the unit, the spacing is 250mm apart. You could have 8 racks in it at 150mm spacing or 10 racks at 100 mm. The problem is, adjustable shelves would add 150-200 bucks to the cost of manufacturing. Is it worth it to you experienced BBQ'ers?

Im going to build one here also. Truth is, I'm not a great BBQer. And, if I can find someone knowledgeable in the US that cN prove it works well, there could be a good market for it. No one will listen to a guy wanted by Interpol, with no name in the BBQ smoking world.

Ummm...alrighty then.?? :shock:

Dobri viecer
your studies are really really interesting
If I may put my 2 cents in the pot...
I'm not a BBQ expert nor a CFD calculator.
But when I make prototypes, if I can i usually try to validate the concept before to develope the complete machine
My suggestion is to take a cheaper offset smoker
Use it as is, just for a while. Maybe install some thermocouples, just in order to have the idea of the gas flows and temperatures
then make some modifications in order to obtain a "raw model" quite close to your simulations and try to cook something, also in this time using thermocouples in order to verify temperature and flows
if your theory is right, you can go on and proceed with final design and manufacturing
otherwise you need to modify something.
in any case, you'll get some good barbecue!

This explains that comment:
Documentary
But in short, I'm facing 95 years for recording dirty cops. Admitting to all kinds of crimes, illegally spying on people, etc. 19 recordings, 5 years each in Florida. So, I didn't stick around.

Only watched the first 5 min but saw enough to save it for later and come back to finish.

All I can say is you already fit in great here. It’s an unruly group but we love uniqueness and genius and specifically how it can help improve bbq.

I’m watching along Mark. Or John. Nevermind I’ll stick with Wolf

Back