SIDE on Food Network?

Sorry, Long Rant

I think that email to them summed it up very well.

What this could have been, if done right, would have been an amazing showcase for the heart and soul we all put into grilling and bbq.

Truth told, I watched my video a lot over the last two months, mainly to laugh at myself and beam at Colin. But I'm biased. Was the video too long, did my dry humor not work, did the recipe suck or perhaps I don't know how to grill properly?

THAT'S the kind of feedback I had hoped for, especially when there are maybe 50 videos, 12 selected.

More than the pleasure of watching the comments on my own video, though, I loved watching the other submissions! I picked up some great techniques from a few really talented folks, squirmed when some guy tried to light a chimney with gas and a weedburner, and generally had fun imagining how a concept like this could bring the spirit of the Brethren to life on the small screen.

The ultimate part of the entire process, though, was getting to help Bossman figure out how to post his video for weeks then finally watching it and being blown out of my seat! His tips and methods and dedication to sharing was exactly what I had hoped for. I was the first to watch it, watched it a ton more, and would have been proud knowing he was one of the 12 instead of me.

I'm sure that there are people here who don't get my offbeat sense of humor, my drive to promote our shared love, whatever.

But know that this video wasn't done out of some desire to be a superstar. I barely have time to sleep as it is!:)
I really thought I could bring that shine to all of us. I didn't push a website (aside from my prized brethren banner) or some stupid product and didn't bad mouth people. I tried to answer questions when posted and even promoted their show in the media. The same things I try to do here.

Long story short, I just wish they knew what a great concept this could have been if done right, and I wish they would have cared enough about all of the video submitters, friends, family and countless faceless grilling lovers who watch their network to at least send a note saying "while we appreciate the time and energy you put into our first online video casting effort, unfortunately we have selected our representatives and..."

Again, sorry for the length folks!

Dang, that was a long rant. I typed it on the train but I hope someone takes a second to read it.

Sorry you didn't make the final 12 Clint. That is total crap. I've never been a big fan of Booby Flame anyway, This pretty well seals the deal for me to boycott his show. I' enjoyed both yours and Bossman's video and am ready to give that steak and shrimp a go.

Rant read!

Clint, hold your chin up. You're an upstanding individual. At least you didn't lie to get the Food Network like that Dinner Impossible guy or that Next Food Network Star fellow...

THAT'S the kind of feedback I had hoped for, especially when there are maybe 50 videos, 12 selected.

Clint,

You are being far to kind to them.

If I recall correctly, when you submitted yours to them back in early April, they were only partway into page 2 of the submissions, or less than 50 (versus the 120 they are at now).

Now less than 2 months later they ave already shot all 12 episodes?

Bullchit!

If all 12 episodes are already shot, I'm guessing that they had already made "selections" before you even submitted yours, maybe even before the very first video was submitted.

And still they say "If you're selected, you could appear on Bobby's new show, Grill It! with Bobby Flay, premiering this summer."

IMHO, this was just a ploy to populate the site with content and draw attention and visitors. Hey, it was a good plan. It got our attention and visits.

Clint,
I did, it reads well and you are right on.
They really dropped the ball in so many ways but the courtesy of a "thanks for trying" note of some sort should have been an automatic consideration.
Too bad really and certainly not a good effort by the network et al.
Keep smilin', I know you will.

Thanks to Motoeric, I am about to embark on the Clint and Colin show, part two. I'm going to film my video in the next two weeks but will let the brethren decide between two recipes I'm playing with. I'll post a poll this weekend so we can decide as a community! They actually did exactly what I thought the food network thing should have been, more of a social networking site and less content building.

I've started building out my page on the site. Check it out here: http://grillingcontest.mariobatali....playKickPlace.kickAction?u=2741841&as=27485&b=

Last edited by a moderator:
I
The ultimate part of the entire process, though, was getting to help Bossman figure out how to post his video for weeks then finally watching it and being blown out of my seat! His tips and methods and dedication to sharing was exactly what I had hoped for. I was the first to watch it, watched it a ton more, and would have been proud knowing he was one of the 12 instead of me.
quote]

Hey Brother You ROCK!! If it wasn't for you I would've never got my freakin video on the site:wink:
I'm very disappointed as well that neither of us were picked for this. After watching alot of the videos I was confident that one of us would've been selected. Most of the videos are more of a "Next Foodnetwork Star" interviews then grilling videos.
I look at this way, My video was posted on a National Site, I got to share what I love with alot of people and I was able to represent this forum with pride and respect :cool:
I may do another video and enter a few more contests who knows. But at least I got my feet wet with something I wanted to do! Thanks again Clint, You are the MAN!!
And also THANKS to all of you for all the positve comments and encouragement, I 'm very honored and proud to be a part of this group!!

I
quote]

Hey Brother You ROCK!! If it wasn't for you I would've never got my freakin video on the site:wink:
I'm very disappointed as well that neither of us were picked for this. After watching alot of the videos I was confident that one of us would've been selected. Most of the videos are more of a "Next Foodnetwork Star" interviews then grilling videos.
I look at this way, My video was posted on a National Site, I got to share what I love with alot of people and I was able to represent this forum with pride and respect :cool:
I may do another video and enter a few more contests who knows. But at least I got my feet wet with something I wanted to do! Thanks again Clint, You are the MAN!!
And also THANKS to all of you for all the positve comments and encouragement, I 'm very honored and proud to be a part of this group!!

No need to thank me for anything. I'm just doing what I do...enjoying friends, taking advantage of business relationships, and making up stuff to grill! Wait until you see what I'm planning for option two for my Mario video, Bossman! I'm going to try it for the first time Sunday and will post pix.

Very NICE video!!!! Good JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AC/DC in the background............ SinCity..... NICE TOUCH!!!!

Brethren examples...

Brothers and Sisters...

Realizing the disappointments on the television network... The Poobah and the Brethren have ultimately accomplished what the Food network could not. Unify an international BBQ interest under one family forum.

Each day... am touched by the warmth of frendship, humor, and the varous times the Brethren are called, banding together for a cause. The collective knowledge base of BBQ... where the tagline comes to merit..."From the Backyard to the American Royal" becomes a reality.

Can anyone see it? So the Brethren collective is not on the TV... yet.
Brethren TV .... BBQ TV. Does anyone imagine Poobah and the Elders having control of a TV network?:eek::eek::eek: :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

There's no place for the Woodpile on regular cable.
A premium pay channel?
Pay per view?

All humor aside, This place rocks!!!!

Last edited:
Smoke-Bossman, you guys are awesome!
Thanks for the good time we had rooting for the two of you.
My take on Bobby Flay is that he's a pretty good guy.
I don't think he was worried about anyone showing him up, I mean he does that throw-down show and loses on there.
When he loses on there he displays a real sportsmanship attitude.
I have a feeling he didn't get to pick the videos... it was done by some knucklehead producer.
You know, like on his throw-down show when he gets a piece of paper telling him who he's going up against.
That's just my thought...
You guys are pretty cool....

Just found some behind-the-scenes footage from my very first video, lobster stuffed steak. Kind of fun to watch.

Clint, some good watching there!

When are we going to get "SIDE, The Lost Episodes?"

Very soon. I've been transfering old tapes to digital this weekend and found a ton of stuff I taped but never used including a whole pulled pork video. Or maybe I'll save them for release after my passing.