THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We made the snap decision this evening... we're going to Oklahoma instead of Excelsior Springs. Filled out my entry form, scanned it and emailed to Kelly! This ought to be fun!

25 teams....25 grand.....that's a no-brainer dude.

LOL! Maybe so but SOMEONE has to finish DAL! Odds are, it's me! :laugh: Last time I competed in an all-champion type event, it was the Royal Invitational in 2008 and I got it handed to me and got DAL pork! :doh:

The e-mail states they are inviting the Top 30 teams in KCBS ToY as of 07/09/10

The email I received from the KCBS office on July 6th stated
"[FONT=georgia,serif]Greg-[/FONT] [FONT=georgia,serif]The top 50 teams in the KCBS Points Chase as of June 30th, 2010 will be invited. The information should be coming out tomorrow (it was originally coming out today, but we needed to get a final approval from the club) via e-mail. Let me know if you have any other questions!"

I wonder why the number of teams and dates changed?
[/FONT]

Just asked a non-related question of KCBS via email and included in that conversation was this contest. As of this morning, they have 21 teams signed up and four spots left.

The email I received from the KCBS office on July 6th stated
"[FONT=georgia,serif]Greg-[/FONT] [FONT=georgia,serif]The top 50 teams in the KCBS Points Chase as of June 30th, 2010 will be invited. The information should be coming out tomorrow (it was originally coming out today, but we needed to get a final approval from the club) via e-mail. Let me know if you have any other questions!"[/FONT]

[FONT=georgia,serif]I wonder why the number of teams and dates changed?[/FONT]

Greg, let's face it. This system is old and outdated for KCBS and for them to track the TOY standings. It's all done by hand. So how accurate is the info? They can only get the top 25 teams on their website... They have had problems in the past with scoring and tallying the points... what is different now? All of a sudden it is a tried and true system, with no errors?/// just saying...

Congrats to all that will be going...

Greg, let's face it. This system is old and outdated for KCBS and for them to track the TOY standings. It's all done by hand. So how accurate is the info? They can only get the top 25 teams on their website... They have had problems in the past with scoring and tallying the points... what is different now? All of a sudden it is a tried and true system, with no errors?/// just saying...

They should just let Paul at the Pickled Pig handle it. They have shown since the start of the new system that they dont have the experience or expertise to handle the points system. They also havent been able to hire anyone to do it..seems like with all this cash coming in they could be paying Paul to manage their points. He knows what he is doing and how to do it.

They should just let Paul at the Pickled Pig handle it. They have shown since the start of the new system that they dont have the experience or expertise to handle the points system. They also havent been able to hire anyone to do it..seems like with all this cash coming in they could be paying Paul to manage their points. He knows what he is doing and how to do it.

They tried to do this 3 years ago.. (or there abouts). KCBS (or BOD) said it was too expensive... I mean, couldn't they get Sam's Club to cover that nut? Or Kingsford? They have their name stamped all over TOY and Sam's Club Invitational.. To me, it would seem like a natural. Especially if they want scores that are not subject to audit, because a score or two were missed. Would those 2 big corps like to have their name associated to it, if it turned in to a fiasco like it did a few years ago for Jumpin' Jim?

But then again, I was the idiot that said that KCBS should get a sponsor for their turn-in clamshells that all matched and had a sponsor (think Hooter's clamshells) to cover it.

But what do I know.

They tried to do this 3 years ago.. (or there abouts). KCBS (or BOD) said it was too expensive... I mean, couldn't they get Sam's Club to cover that nut? Or Kingsford? They have their name stamped all over TOY and Sam's Club Invitational.. To me, it would seem like a natural. Especially if they want scores that are not subject to audit, because a score or two were missed. Would those 2 big corps like to have their name associated to it, if it turned in to a fiasco like it did a few years ago for Jumpin' Jim?

But then again, I was the idiot that said that KCBS should get a sponsor for their turn-in clamshells that all matched and had a sponsor (think Hooter's clamshells) to cover it.

But what do I know.

Agree on the clamshell sponsor. Crazy to have different boxes each week.

anyway...if I can pull the results from PNWBA, FBA, GBA, MBN, and KCBS and get it all done without getting a single penny from anyone to help with the costs I am sure they can afford it. I have spent nothing by my own money to make the National BBQ Rankings happen. I put my own time in, spend my own money and happily do it because it needs to be done.

I dont know if Paul is making money with his rankings, but he probably isnt getting rich from it if he is getting some ad dollars coming in. So if 2 hobbyist can get it done with no budget, I would think that KCBS should be able to swing it.

Granted there are some mistakes in my results, but I make every effort to make sure it is as correct as possible. One thing that really helps is that teams review their results and send me an email when something is wrong so I can change it. KCBS doesnt even allow that much.

Agree on the clamshell sponsor. Crazy to have different boxes each week.

anyway...if I can pull the results from PNWBA, FBA, GBA, MBN, and KCBS and get it all done without getting a single penny from anyone to help with the costs I am sure they can afford it. I have spent nothing by my own money to make the National BBQ Rankings happen. I put my own time in, spend my own money and happily do it because it needs to be done.

I dont know if Paul is making money with his rankings, but he probably isnt getting rich from it if he is getting some ad dollars coming in. So if 2 hobbyist can get it done with no budget, I would think that KCBS should be able to swing it.

Granted there are some mistakes in my results, but I make every effort to make sure it is as correct as possible. One thing that really helps is that teams review their results and send me an email when something is wrong so I can change it. KCBS doesnt even allow that much.

Not to get too far off topic, but I love your site. Thank you for all that you do for us.

A group of us at the Weston contest had this conversation this past weekend. We came to the conclusion that KCBS has more than the top 25, they simply don't post it farther than 25th.

thanks for the kind words and I didn't mean for my previous post to sound all whiny about the money. Re-reading it, it comes off as a little whiny and that wasnt the point. KCBS could afford if they wanted it was the point.

A group of us at the Weston contest had this conversation this past weekend. We came to the conclusion that KCBS has more than the top 25, they simply don't post it farther than 25th.

Cause anyone who is 26 and down doesn't care to know about how they place. :crazy:

Congrats to all the qualifiers! We know who I will be rooting for!
is there a breakdown on the award money?

According to the entry form, payouts are as follows:

Overall
GC - $5,000
RGC - $3,000
3rd - $2,000
4th - $1,500
5th - $750

Each Category
1st - $1,000
2nd - $750
3rd - $500
4th - $250
5th - $200
6th thru 10th - $100

If they do, then they need to get it on their website. Especially if they are selling that this contest is for the top 50 teams.

FWIW I did request the list from KCBGS this morning and haven't received it yet. I just wanted to see how accurate it was to Paul's site...

If they do, then they need to get it on their website. Especially if they are selling that this contest is for the top 50 teams.

FWIW I did request the list from KCBGS this morning and haven't received it yet. I just wanted to see how accurate it was to Paul's site...

Haven't seen anything official, but folks here are saying that it is inclusive to the top 30 teams.

Back