Pellets dominating comp bbq

but I stand by my bet, I will put up the entry fee and bring you the cookers. Finish in the out of the top five you owe me the entry fee back. Whats the worst that can happen? We hang out, drink, cook and one way or another one is out an entry fee? Sounds like a weekend to me!

Sounds like a blast. Can you get that Bandera down to the Jack? :p

I'll add our very own musicmanryann and Big T'z Q Cru as more evidence to the "its the cook" theory. In his first 10 comps he went GC, GC, RGC, GC at 4 of the most competitive contests in Iowa on 3-4 WSM'S.

He's either a pretty good cook or really lucky:shock::twisted:

Certainly can't argue with FEs in the KCBS realm. The numbers don't lie. But in other areas of the country where we aren't saturated with KCBS contests, you've got to add Stump's to the mix as one of the dominate cookers in the top 10.
Got to get some props in for the Stumps!

I just want to shig Chris on 4 or 5 different cookers. :twisted:

see its not such a crazy bet right? although I was going to "monitor the bet" and "heckle", I would never stoop to shigging :biggrin:

.... but some of us tend to stay up and drink with our buds instead of sleep sometimes :)

DING DING DING DING DING! winner winner damn dip dinner! much rather play with a campfire in an open pit and toss back a few cocktails. :rolleyes:

spider pig spider pig...........

And now that I have one I want another because I like the consistency and I like how clean the pellets are. They leave little ash and you dont get charcoal all over yourself.

thats what made me write the check, and where I think the FEC advantage is, especially if you are a small operation or do a large number of contests. Like most people I know I can lock in my Backwoods for a good 6-8 hours in whatever the conditions may be but afterwards its a mess. Between the charcoal dust, ash and greasy nasty water it just gets to be a pain.

Sounds like a blast. Can you get that Bandera down to the Jack? :p

I've know of two Banderas in town and am plannning to be in Lynchburg by about 10:00 AM on Friday. If some one is serious about competing in the Jack with one to prove "the cook" point....I'll load one up on the trailer. Lemme know!

dmp

you guys are the last ones who need it....but, would hate to see the damage that you inflict with it...

*snort* I hope to be inflicting a little more damage than the last time you saw us, anyway. And in cooler conditions. When are we going to run across you next?

and for all of you its the "cook not the cooker" I have a chargriller and a bandera, come use them at a comp, I will bet you the entry fee you don't get top 5.

BTW...

Used a Bandera, a NB Black Diamond,a WSM and a Weber Kettle at Lime Rock,CT May 28,2007...2nd Chicken. 3rd Brisket, 4th Beef Ribs ...took 5th overall!!! in our second comp...
I left the Chargriller at home after our first comp...

So Sean...

I'll PM you my info... look forward to your check!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

I do think there is a fine line to be drawn between what someone does at home and what someone does at a competition. It is my understanding that how these folks cook at comps isn't how they would cook for their own home folks...so it would stand to reason that perhaps they have a stick burner or 3 at home they like to play with when its not involving a lot of $$ at stake. Using an FE or some pit temp control device is understandable (and not illegal) in order to help them mutli-task at their site. It's probably not fair to assume they have no skill in how to build and then manage a fire for a long duration of time. It's always a question I like to ask the folks I interview anyway...makes for some lively discussion.

I totally disagree with the Pellet theory of winning contests.. It's the great cooks who are dominating the competition, not the cookers.. geez...

I do think there is a fine line to be drawn between what someone does at home and what someone does at a competition. It is my understanding that how these folks cook at comps isn't how they would cook for their own home folks...so it would stand to reason that perhaps they have a stick burner or 3 at home they like to play with when its not involving a lot of $$ at stake. Using an FE or some pit temp control device is understandable (and not illegal) in order to help them mutli-task at their site. It's probably not fair to assume they have no skill in how to build and then manage a fire for a long duration of time. It's always a question I like to ask the folks I interview anyway...makes for some lively discussion.

Per usual, you have a keen eye. I have pellet grills at home for when I need to multitask children, catering, big meals, etc. I also have BGE's for when I want to play with fire. Randy and I cooked on stick burners as long or longer than we've been on pellets. Understanding wood, fire and smoke is NOT a problem.

When are we going to run across you next?
Da Jack.....I will be there with Butts and Breastts, the team that came out to Mesquite to cook with me......soooooooo looking forward to it!

*seething with FEC envy*

I'm going to ask Santa Claus for one.
shiner.gif

Your gonna have to ask santa for a bigger trailer too.

Wouldn't it be, though? All it would take would be a little reconfiguration of the pack.
I've actually been on the lookout for a vehicle more suited to towing, but that would take away some of the quirk factor!

Back