Best Pellet Smoker Regardless Of $

I just got a Mak 1 Star this year. Love it so far. I don't have any experience with other pellet smokers though so i can't make any comparisons. I have no issues with the Pellet Boss controller on the MAK, but I am also not using the wifi on it.

I just got a Mak 1 Star this year. Love it so far. I don't have any experience with other pellet smokers though so i can't make any comparisons. I have no issues with the Pellet Boss controller on the MAK, but I am also not using the wifi on it.

Yes, they are good smokers. I just want one that has more options, puts better smoke on the meat, and is easier to clean. After every cook, I take it all apart to get to the fire pot to empty the ashes. I always use a Scotchbrite pad to clean the ambient temperature probe too. I found a rabbit cage tray at a farm supply store that is big enough to soak my grate in to clean it outside when it is above freezing. I used to bring it in and clean it in the basement laundry sink but it then took longer to clean the sink than the grate. Plus I don't like the thought of all of that grease going through the plumbing pipes. If I had at least one that you didn't have to take completely apart to empty the fire pot, it would be helpful. I'll keep looking.

I agree! So far Lone Star seems to be the only manufacturer that makes a unit that best matches what I am looking for. I do like that the burn pot can be removed from the outside. Can anyone who has one tell me how easy/hard they are to clean the rest of the unit, and any other pro's and con's?

I agree! So far Lone Star seems to be the only manufacturer that makes a unit that best matches what I am looking for. I do like that the burn pot can be removed from the outside. Can anyone who has one tell me how easy/hard they are to clean the rest of the unit, and any other pro's and con's?

My Pit Boss Pro the burn pot removes from the outside also.

I haven't been happy with my Mak 2 star since the day I got it. It basically made me give up on buying smokers. I spent entirely too much on that, for it to show up and have a host of things that annoy the hell out of me. I still use it. I still curse it. The only way I'd drop 'more than pit-boss money' on another one, is if I had hands-on time with it to know if it worked for my cooking style.

Gotta love Sunday morning pellet cooker posts

"Came home from Xmas party around 9pm. Figured I put that 17lb brisket on the smoker so it's ready for game time today. Smokers up to temp, hoppers full, get up at 3am to check on it. WELL. I used the extension cord for the xmas lights and yup xmas lights turned off at 11. And so did the smoker"

I am a newbie to smoking so I am reading this thread with interest.

I started with a hand me down New Braunfels offset smoker. Fire management was challenging and often the meat had harsh smoke flavor. Accordingly, we use it mainly as a grill.

I was then gifted a hand me down electric Masterbuilt cabinet smoker. It made some really good food, was a gateway to the hobby, but I hated having to load it with chips every 30-45 minutes and cleaning the drip pan was a mess.

I have since moved on to a Recteq RT1250. Things I like:
- It holds 40 lbs of pellets with a burn rate of about 1 lb/hr.
- Dual racks - I put a water pan on the lower rack as a shield to the drip pan and cook fat side up on the upper rack. To my untrained palate, I get plenty of smoke favor.
- I use the "Low" 180F setting for more smoke for the first several hours of the cooks.
- I upgraded to the competition cart as I store the smoker in my garage and wheel it to the patio for each use. The standard cart I don't think would have survived this.
- I bought the cold smoke box accessory. I have not used this much but want to make jerky.
- Customer service has been outstanding.

Things I don't like on the Recteq RT1250
- No way to easily empty the pellet hopper (ie - no dump chute).
- The upper grate is too high for large pork butts as they hit the top of the barrel. When cooking large butts, I support the upper rack on the water pan which drops it about 1.5" for added clearance.
- Taking it apart for cleaning is a pain. Remove the upper and lower grates, then remove the drip pan, then remove the heat deflector, then vacuum it all out. I have had some flame outs, back burn with smoke in the hopper, and an explosion (which blew off the door of the sold smoke box breaking the welds) so I have resorted to cleaning it prior to every cook and priming the pot with a handful of pellets
- The App for the I-phone is mostly ok. However, the graphing function can't deal with overnight cooks. So the graph works up to midnight. Wake up the next morning and you can still see the readings of the 2 probes but no graph from 12 am onwards. So I have to shut the smoker off, instantly restart it, then it resumes graphing from that point onward.
- I wish the App had a function where it can self ramp its temperature. For example, self change the set point from 180 to 225F when the probe temperature starts to plateau. I am not sure if any smoker has this.

An "advanced beginner" take on pellet cookers. I've had three, still use two, both Pit boss

At their most basic they have a hopper, auger and firepot. They all have this in common. Now then if you want speed goat rated tires and oversized wheels, gun safe thick metal, space shuttle engineered thermometers, satellite worthy electronic and communication, makers sell them. But, the cook will determine the success or failure of the event. Remember what they have in common. I truly hope you buy the most advanced pellet cooker of your dreams. We will never meet, never be at the same table. With what they have in common, with same fuel available to all I'm guessing you'd find my food edible. Almost everyone who has eaten food I've cooked (me) on my Bosses have gone on to live normal healthy lives.

I do admire your motivation to find the best. You only get so many trips around the sun. Enjoy every minute of every day.

Last edited:
Ah yes, another Sunday C/P set and forget in the Pellet Realm

"Well my pit boss was smoking like hell on initial start up and wouldn’t ignite and then I thought it did and closed the lid. Big mistake. Boom! Jumped off the ground, flame shot out flipped the lid up and blew open my new side smoker door and swoll it all up. Took me two shots and and still ain’t calmed down. Dog refuses to go back outside. I cleaned it thoroughly before but I think my pellets were damp even though it was covered. After I put out the fire I got it straightened out I got it working. I’m still shaking. My old barrel never ever did that. Anyone else?"

Recteq's support is on a steep slide lately. I waited 13 days for them to get an igniter out the door - 15 days with shipping. This is my third claim - 2 igniters and an RTD. Seems like the 1250 has the least complaints. That's what I'd go with if you're set on recteq. My 1070 has been discontinued after less than 2 years, my guess is due to so many warranty claims.

Well 1 thing i cant wrap my head around is if they all use pellets and the same kind how can they differ much on flavor? Been running a pitboss Austin Lx for 5-6 years now

Not very interested in owning a pellet cooker - been there done that, but if I were…

They are ridiculously expensive…but I’ve always admired Memphis Grills.

Far as I know they only build 2 models: the Pro, which goes for $4999. And the Elite, which goes for $5999.

Their claim is higher searing temps than most, or all other pellet grills - something like 1000 degrees? And they also claim to have a direct flame function, which, to my limited knowledge, most pellet poopers can’t do.

Red

Back