Pellets dominating comp bbq

It sure is nice to get a little more sleep at nights with the FEC. I really like ours, after seeing them up close last year. We went right out and bought one and sold our mobile pit.

Without Guru's.

I only count one Jambo - Pellet Envy. Didn't Lotta Bull switch cookers? If not, then 2.

Yeah you are right.

Although I bet Checkered Pig, Trigg, Cool Smoke and a few others are right outside the top 10, plus I think Munchin Hogs and QUAU are also using stick burners

I'm pretty sure LB is still cooking on the Jambo

That said, I'll admit I'm tempted by a FE

Yep marketing people are crack ups! LOL! KC Can Crew uses his FEC as a holding oven for the most part! And you thought Cambros were expensive ways to hold your Q!

That said, I'll admit I'm tempted by a FE

Now your talking. Can I borrow the Geer then? I mean, if I had to. Otherwise, I can swing both ways and use a pellet cooker. Let me know if I can set one up for you!

while i am a stickhead, i can understand the attraction of getting sleep. but i too often wonder what the is the joy in a set it and forget it cook. of course we all know tht while it may be mostly trouble free, things can and do happen.
i also must agree that its the cook and not the cooker, i have gotten second in brisket and also have gotten 18th before too. personally i think sometimes there is too much emphasis on turn in looks(although i have down avg to above avg on that). my biggest downfall has been that i cook on mesquite and use a not so sweet sauce(and very little at that).
i was even told by another competitor(rgc) that so long as i cooked with mesquite, i would never win a kcbs event. to which i replied that i came for the company and enjoyment of new and old friends. winning at bbq comps is not as much a top priorty with me as it seems it is with some folks.

Yeah I can't believe those jerks that enter a bbq COMPETITION to win. I hear there's a great recipe for wasabi cream sauce out there somewhere...

while i am a stickhead, i can understand the attraction of getting sleep. but i too often wonder what the is the joy in a set it and forget it cook. of course we all know tht while it may be mostly trouble free, things can and do happen.
i also must agree that its the cook and not the cooker, i have gotten second in brisket and also have gotten 18th before too. personally i think sometimes there is too much emphasis on turn in looks(although i have down avg to above avg on that). my biggest downfall has been that i cook on mesquite and use a not so sweet sauce(and very little at that).
i was even told by another competitor(rgc) that so long as i cooked with mesquite, i would never win a kcbs event. to which i replied that i came for the company and enjoyment of new and old friends. winning at bbq comps is not as much a top priorty with me as it seems it is with some folks.

Whatever happen to its the cook, not the cooker.?

Dont jump the gun, rumor has it that when Jeff gets elected to the BOD, his first motion will be to ban the ovens. :) (YES Oven.. acording the control panel on the FE, it a says "OVEN TEMP". So it muyst me an oven. I also heard kenmore and whirlpool are starting to make pellet ovens too) :) :mrgreen::mrgreen::wink:

That being said. I like my FE.. I start the meats in the Pit(Klose, spicewine, etc) give em 4-5-6 hours in smoke, then move to the oven and get some sleep. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap I just like the heavier smoke.. but the family likes the FE studff on its own with the lighter smokiness. (and so do the judges).

hold on folks.. here we go!

BBQ COMPS are a sport these days....Have no problem,but it does suck if folks can just copy,set and forget and pick up the check....

Sounds like a quality recipe and these rigs and...........next people will be popping roids.......

just as there is nothing wrong in getting involved more so with the financial aspect. folks, please do not misread what i have written. after all it is but one mans point of view.
i had always been a very competitive person till a little wake up call in 2003. it was after recovering from that, when i realized that i personally would much rather have a great time at a comp, and relieve some of the stress brought on through my everyday life. just my two sticks worth. lol

I was just going to say that.... and I thought Kelly had a modded traeger with a cabinet, and his CS570.... and saying KC Can Crew - cooks in an FEC, now that is a stretch. gotta love marketing folks

But hey, I think they are catching on, I may try one this weekend :razz:

Exactly...

I was just going to say that.... and I thought Kelly had a modded traeger with a cabinet, and his CS570.... and saying KC Can Crew - cooks in an FEC, now that is a stretch. gotta love marketing folks

But hey, I think they are catching on, I may try one this weekend :razz:

That is the way Kelly was set up this weeken d at River City Roundup. He was also set up like that in Dillon Co. To tell you the trueth I didn't even know he had an FEC

With all of this talk of pellet poopers, I guess I can tell all of you that I am taking things slow. I am looking into an pellet oven, and have taken the first step towards using one. I have 14 bags of pellets in my truck.

Naaaaaaa just kidding, I do have the pellets in my truck, but I am just holding them for a friend.

sled...i dont know whats worse, girls or que....and im with phil, the fec-100 says right on the control panel, oven temperature, they are awesome units, but have their place.

I want a pellet cooker in a big way!! I have been assisted with one int the last few catering gigs and they are a great tool.

Back