Pellets dominating comp bbq

Yep, with exception of New Holland thats all I will do. My son still helps but at the age of 15 he has other interests such as the opposite sex. The nerve of him:rolleyes::biggrin:.

Since you're retiring, can I buy your gurus? If you can't beat em, join em.

Whatever happen to its the cook, not the cooker.?

Dont jump the gun, rumor has it that when Jeff gets elected to the BOD, his first motion will be to ban the ovens. :) (YES Oven.. acording the control panel on the FE, it a says "OVEN TEMP". So it muyst me an oven. I also heard kenmore and whirlpool are starting to make pellet ovens too) :) :mrgreen::mrgreen::wink:

That being said. I like my FE.. I start the meats in the Pit(Klose, spicewine, etc) give em 4-5-6 hours in smoke, then move to the oven and get some sleep. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap I just like the heavier smoke.. but the family likes the FE studff on its own with the lighter smokiness. (and so do the judges).

hold on folks.. here we go!

so you are against using them but use one anyway?:confused:
what happened burning a log in a hotel pan?:biggrin:
lol

Since you're retiring, can I buy your gurus?

I got one of them collecting dust too...... I don't think it does much if you have a good cooker(s)

and for all of you its the "cook not the cooker" I have a chargriller and a bandera, come use them at a comp, I will bet you the entry fee you don't get top 5.

we'll do it next season.......it'll be fun

I still need to cook New Hampshire? Maybe there? :icon_blush: I mean, it's not like the only 2 NEBS contests I cooked this year and Chris didn't take the GC. After sandbagging everyone that he was struggling with his new cooker.... :icon_shy

I'm not in the "those cookers are cheating" camp. Not by a long shot. Nor am I against the guru or any other trick daddy device people have come up with to help them out. I just think it's one more step in the direction that will automate BBQ and further remove the cook from the equation. I think it's a shame that some folks will be raised in that tradition alone and never know what fire management is about or how to overcome bumps in the road that require experience, expertise and thinking on your feet and still produce top quality turn in meat.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not against Pellet machines and I'm no hero when it comes to wanting some sleep, but it's only for a night.

Then there is the even playing field argument...............

Maybe it's about watching tradition going by the wayside. It's like cooking from scratch, I love it but it's a dieing art.

Some of us pelletheads started off using stick burners and Brinkman's and WSM's... So I understand fire control. I also know that competing on my own, I needed something that could allow me to focus on other aspects of my BBQ. Which the FE's allow me to do.

While my girls are getting bigger now a days... Their main goal is to stay out of my way and to have the boxes prepared. If my sister isn't there, then I use my oldest for a box runner. She is also available to other teams that may be int he need. As she has helped teams as famous as Transformer BBQ to low down teams like Pellet Envy.... (I can say all of this stuff, cause I know those boys are going to the Royal...) :twisted:

so you are against using them but use one anyway?:confused:
what happened burning a log in a hotel pan?:biggrin:
lol

Hey.. when in Rome....

Im just of the camp that themostats, strokers and gurus should stay home..

But, I'll use it as long as its legal, but wont say boo if we are ever told we can not use them..(which will most likly never happen). Its a cooking machine(no pun intended). A great tool. cant beat it for catering, or long cooks at home, restaurants,etc. Consistant, no fuss... it has its place.

and for all of you its the "cook not the cooker" I have a chargriller and a bandera, come use them at a comp, I will bet you the entry fee you don't get top 5.

sorry dude, I cooked on my bandera the first 3 years competing and consistantly made top 5. :mrgreen:

seems to me like there are a whole lot of "its not the cooker" people out there with thousands of dollars spent some big dollar cookers. If the cooker really meant that little than why is it everyone traded up?

I am not doubting anyone's cooking ability and I understand fire control just like the majority of you do, but the more variables that anything has, the less likely it is be done consistently. A well built finely tuned cooker no matter what fuel it uses (charcoal, wood or pellets) eliminates many of those variables. I don't care if its an FEC, a Spicewine, Backwoods, Geer, Klose, whatever a better cooker is going to cook better.

I understand that you can finish in the top 5 using anything but I stand by my bet, I will put up the entry fee and bring you the cookers. Finish in the out of the top five you owe me the entry fee back. Whats the worst that can happen? We hang out, drink, cook and one way or another one is out an entry fee? Sounds like a weekend to me!

seems to me like there are a whole lot of "its not the cooker" people out there with thousands of dollars spent some big dollar cookers. If the cooker really meant that little than why is it everyone traded up?

I am not doubting anyone's cooking ability and I understand fire control just like the majority of you do, but the more variables that anything has, the less likely it is be done consistently. A well built finely tuned cooker no matter what fuel it uses (charcoal, wood or pellets) eliminates many of those variables. I don't care if its an FEC, a Spicewine, Backwoods, Geer, Klose, whatever a better cooker is going to cook better.

I understand that you can finish in the top 5 using anything but I stand by my bet, I will put up the entry fee and bring you the cookers. Finish in the out of the top five you owe me the entry fee back. Whats the worst that can happen? We hang out, drink, cook and one way or another one is out an entry fee? Sounds like a weekend to me!

So Chris cooks on the Bandera and Charbroiler, and you'll be cookin on the FatGirl and her Stainless sister the pellet pimptress:twisted:

I just want to shig Chris on 4 or 5 different cookers. :twisted:

So Chris cooks on the Bandera and Charbroiler, and you'll be cookin on the FatGirl and her Stainless sister the pellet pimptress:twisted:

I just want to shig Chris on 4 or 5 different cookers. :twisted:

I'll wash dishes for somebody to see this:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::cool:

Oh and for the record, I love my FEC!! - I know I was joking around earlier saying I might try one this weekend, but I hate to leave home without it.

I have all kinds of cookers that are fun to play with / practice the "art" on as Zilla would say... but for a comp where I have my hard earned $$ in the mix, and usually a vacation day or two... I wouldnt give up the consistency and flavor profile that I get with my FEC. It is great for sleep, too.... but some of us tend to stay up and drink with our buds instead of sleep sometimes :)

I traded up because

1) I was hauling two large and one xl bge around and that was just too much.
2) I wanted more cooking space in case I wanted to cook extra without having additional smokers
3) Already towing a trailer, the pellet cooker was the most feasible for me.

And now that I have one I want another because I like the consistency and I like how clean the pellets are. They leave little ash and you dont get charcoal all over yourself.

*seething with FEC envy*

I'm going to ask Santa Claus for one.
shiner.gif

Back