THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck hearing from KCBS.....
I had a issue at Guitarbeque this year and havent heard from them yet. Since 3 emails and I also had a problem with a judge and asked that he be banded till he takes another class. Got an email stating the email went to Ed Roith and he would get back to me. That was in April. What a joke. Seems the west coast is atarting to explore IBCA sanctioning for some reason?

dont agree with this at all. How is it "identifiable" because he did something different. If 1 team uses "white sauce" on their chicken, and every other team uses the same old "red" sauce does "white sauce" team get the DQ because of Rule 13.

No questions were asked, therfore the reps were wrong, and the guy got the shaft.

Ponder this
Rule #13 asks “Was this chicken presented in a way to make it identifiable?”
Perhaps or Perhaps not?

Also you should know this!
You are not the first to use this technique.
You may have taken it a bit extreme as it dose look fried not that that should matter? But remember rule#13

You just forgot to sauce the chicken! And used a bit too much bread……
Don't give up on your technique others are having success with it. Just tweak it a bit and make it look like un-identifiable chicken...

Cracker

Great thread!!!!

If a person cant tell the difference between chicken that was fried, or breaded and cooked in a BBQ, then that person really has no business judging any sort of food related contest. I am shocked that these judges couldnt tell.
Here's a hypothetical situation. Please don't anybody take this the wrong way it's simply hypothetical.

Let's say a team did fry their chicken hoping for an advantage over the rest of the teams. Let's say they knew frying was illegal. Now when the rep approaches the team to confirm whether or not their chicken was fried of course the team will simply deny it. How can a team prove they didn't fry their chicken ? How can a rep prove they did ?

Again I'm not trying to infer anything. I believe the original poster of this thread cooked the chicken just like he said and he was mistakingly DQ'd.

Steve

Im inspired. Chicken and dumplings is going to be my next turn in.

just kidding!

Guy, you threw them a curve ball and they missed. That is a shame.

If a person cant tell the difference between chicken that was fried, or breaded and cooked in a BBQ, then that person really has no business judging any sort of food related contest. I am shocked that these judges couldnt tell.

Take a look at the pic - can you tell ???

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=462475&postcount=7

The good news is, this issue has been resolved by KCBS, Sawdustguy and Mrs. Sawdust received hearfelt apologies from the contest reps and they have moved on to new techniques for their chicken...

By the way, we used this method for our last contest in wings and had no dq issues or questions.

Course, didn't finish in the top 10 anyway...so it probably didn't matter!

I cant tell by that picture, but I sure could tell the second I bit into a piece.

It sure fooled the judges. After tasting they swore we fried it. We talked to a judge who tried it and he said it was too moist not to be fried although he could detect no oil. We tried the recipe and technique at home once using the same spices as KFC and it was tuff to tell the difference. If we injected it, you could never tell the difference.

I judged at Mason City, Iowa this year and I got an entry that looked just like that. It looked like it had been fried. It was not disqualified like yours. However, it did not score very well because it wasn't very good all together.
It was a bit off putting to see a "fried" looking entry but I believe it was scored fairly at our table.
I don't believe an entry should be disqualified base on a cooking processes without checking with the cook first.

Sorry about your DQ.

Sounds like the Rep didnt follow the rules. Sorry to hear that.

Sorry to hear about the turn of events.

My thoughts:
If YOU liked the chicken, Screw the judges!
Eat and be happy!

Push the limits of the rules and you increase your risks of being DQ'd. We have been DQ'd many times in NEBS grilling contest for pushing the edge of the rules. I agree that the entry is legal but do you really want to be in the position of having a reps judgment call determine the success of your weekend?

Sorry about your DQ...seems like I hear about more DQs for chicken then anything else..

I have a question about your recipe. You mention the eggs cracked in a bowl, but then dont mention what you do with it. I was looking to make this recipe this weekend to try it out...Doubt that I will be using it in a competition, but love any new chicken recipes I can get my hands on.

So is it egg>flour or is it flour>egg>flour or what. i noticed 3 bowls in the picture with your dredging...looks like (left to right) seasoned flour > flour > eggs

I understand if you dont want to tell the whole recipe, but I sure did what to try it...it looks really good..I was hoping to bring something new to the tailgate at the WLOCP next weekend..

thanks.

Sorry about your DQ...seems like I hear about more DQs for chicken then anything else..

I have a question about your recipe. You mention the eggs cracked in a bowl, but then dont mention what you do with it. I was looking to make this recipe this weekend to try it out...Doubt that I will be using it in a competition, but love any new chicken recipes I can get my hands on.

So is it egg>flour or is it flour>egg>flour or what. i noticed 3 bowls in the picture with your dredging...looks like (left to right) seasoned flour > flour > eggs

I understand if you dont want to tell the whole recipe, but I sure did what to try it...it looks really good..I was hoping to bring something new to the tailgate at the WLOCP next weekend..

thanks.

No problem. Mix your seasoning in with your flour. Break a few eggs in a bowl and mix as you if you were making scrambled eggs. Dip your chicken into the egg and dredge in the flour. Into the smoker or onto the grill they go.

PS: We also inject the chicken with a secret buttery concoction that I can not divulge. This method works great for taste and crisp skin.

First off, sorry for the DQ for doing what you do...... It looks like they were taken off guard....

I challenge any official from KCBS to read this thread beginning to end and provide a valid explanition.

There is no excuse for a DQ based on speculation. It's a credible as looking at a rib and saying this looks like it came from a grocery store deli, it's dq'd.

This is where I feel there is not enough training on the do's and don'ts for the judging.... take a class and judge.... no standards as I see it.

We have sent email messages to Ed Roith and Donna McClure and have not gotten a response. I had a great attitude about this up til now. Now I feel I am being ignored. Unfortunately this is what I expected.

Well, I see you at least did hear back from them. I am still waiting for an answer to a couple of questions I emailed to 6 of them at KCBS. Not a single one has enough nerve or guts to answer a single question. It has been almost 8 months now. I even called 3 months ago to see why. Amy answered the phone and she said she would get back to me with an answer...... I am still waiting.

Since they can not answer me a couple of simple questions, or even give me the courtesy of even a reply of any kind, I have not nor will not renew my membership in an organization that is that rude. Nor can I recommend them to anyone.

I sure hope they get their act together soon.

They have too many "grey" areas that need help. It looks like they are trying to grow too big too fast and don't know how to handle it or run it properly.

Sorry for ranting....

Bill

Bill,

I would never have gotten a reply if it were not for Jim Minion. He pushed the issue for me, otherwise it would have been swept under the table.

Bill,

I would never have gotten a reply if it were not for Jim Minion. He pushed the issue for me, otherwise it would have been swept under the table.

I can believe that.... I think that they think if they just ignore the situation, it will go away..... I personally think they are making a lot of problems for themselves by not addressing them quickly and listening to their members.

Not a problem though. It is only a few bucks out of my pocket that I am now keeping. Will I compete in another event.....

http://www.ncagr.com/markets/facilities/markets/lumberton/carolinasmokin/index.htm

YES ! ! !
Nothing says I have to be a member to compete....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back