How to get DQed for no reason in 9 easy steps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rockaway BeachBQ said:
I guess I should have gone with my instincts and kept my mouth shut. I was only trying to let you know what happened, and not giving my opinion as to whether or not Chicken that is passed through a standard breading procedure is barbecue.

To clarify, I thought the chicken was delicious, however I and every single judge at the table agreed the chicken MIGHT have been fried. The Contest Rep was notified and DQed you on the spot, that was his decision. I think it is a Judges and a Table Captain's responsibility to notify the Rep when they think a rule MAY have been broken. The Rep is then responsible for the decision whether or the rules have been broken. He did not consult you before making his decision which also MAY have been a violation of the rules. I was only trying to give you all of the information, so that you could make an informed complaint. For all I know I could be violating the rules by discussing this with you all. If you have any questions please PM me.

Don't take my post the wrong way. You and the other judges did your job as you should have. The problem lies between the cheif judge and contest rep. I am not sore at you. I am very thankful you brought it up because otherwise I would never have known why.

RB, I don't think Guy was getting on you at all, esp with his last post. It's a bit enlightening to hear this, and a pity that the rep didn't do what he should have, from what I can see.

Joe, before DQ'ing something, the table captain/rep has to be notified. If it's to be DQ'ed, they'll tell the rest of the table, too. Other than that, they don't tell judges what to put down. if a judge is consistently way off, the table captain can pull them aside and talk to them, I think, too.

I challenge any official from KCBS to read this thread beginning to end and provide a valid explanition.

There is no excuse for a DQ based on speculation. It's a credible as looking at a rib and saying this looks like it came from a grocery store deli, it's dq'd.

Rockaway BeachBQ said:
OK, I would hate to have any bad feelings here. Did I mention how delicious the chicken was?

Thank you. I appreciate your candor and honesty.:biggrin:

At the judges table at BBQ Loo we were talking between catagories and I wondered with my limited experience if they ever saw wings for the chicken catagory and one of the judges who also is a comp. cook said that wings were too close to the edge and they avoided the edge because they didn't know if the judges would appreciate that.
That's too bad because the edge is a good place for me. I would love to see something new and daring. What about the rest of you judges, do you always want samo,samo?
It's a shame what happened to you, and I guess the lesson to be learned is if you want to walk on the edge find the rep and inform him or her and then go for it.
I'll be waiting.
ModelMaker

As a contest organizer I would like to know who the reps were? What if you had used the skake and bake stuff abd baked in the smoker?
There needs to be a book for the reps on what to do at cookoffs that they keep with them so they understand the rules.
Arlie

That's a bummer. Not being a comp guy I'm really not qualified to comment on the official ruling, but ...

b700a10b.jpg

I often cook chicken dusted in cornstarch in my Big Green Egg, indirect at 350°. The appearance is very fried-like. I guess my point is, this is not a new technique by any means. Agreed it is different, but it's just one of the techniques folks do for crispy skin and maybe shouldn't have been discounted so quickly.

Like Thirdeye, I don't compete.

But the ruling to DQ based on an assumption that it was fried is ridiculous.

arlieque said:
As a contest organizer I would like to know who the reps were? What if you had used the skake and bake stuff abd baked in the smoker?
There needs to be a book for the reps on what to do at cookoffs that they keep with them so they understand the rules.
Arlie

Arlie,
The original recipe called for us to cook the chicken in the smoker. During the Comp. we did cook half in the smoker but ran out of room so half went on the grill ( indirect with wood chips ). They turn out the same.

Thirdeye,

You are absolutely correct! This is not a new technique. My pop used it when we were young. Thats why it is so puzzling to me.

Sorry to hear about the DQ. Did you guys have any suspicion that the judges might not go for your technique? Being new to the comp scene myself, if I'm not sure of something I run it past the organizers or judges before trying it. That way there's no confusion and no hard feelings. It definately sounds like they should've put a little more effort into the decision to score you like that though.

Guy, it's been quite the year for you all... getting sick, your bro getting drunk, axle on your smoker breaking, DQ for being just different... ever thought about something simple and easy like competing in rugby, lacrosse, horseracing or yachting? Plus, at least yachting HAS to be cheaper than BBQing! :roll:

Jeff_in_KC said:
Guy, it's been quite the year for you all... getting sick, your bro getting drunk, axle on your smoker breaking, DQ for being just different... ever thought about something simple and easy like competing in rugby, lacrosse, horseracing or yachting? Plus, at least yachting HAS to be cheaper than BBQing! :roll:

Great post Jeff! I made me laugh alot. It has been quite a challenge but I am not giving up yet. Michele and I have thought about it but we enjoy it too much. With all that happened at Grill Kings we really had a great time. Saturday night was like a block party. Poobah brought Linguine, Willy B brought Clams, we brought 100 ears of corn, Sledneck brought his Croation sausages. We ate like Kings. The bottom line is that we have invested in a new Spicewine smoker and a new 8.5 x 14 cargo trailer to be converted into a portable kitchen. We are in it for the long haul.

You are a good man to even try to have a light heart with this. I know it does not help but my though is what goes around usually comes around and there is a rep who needs some training and judges that need new leadership. Thanks for being a good person and let others crush their little pin heads good looking chicken bytheway.

I would raise the issue with KCBS, and the contest organizer.... Never seen anything like that happen before in a contest scenario -- and I have seen some items go in that definately skirt the edge of acceptable. It would be interesting to know how many of the judges you had were certified, vs. not....

I would not think that what you did was too far outside of standard fare that it would require you to speak to the rep up front... but that is good advice. Just a strange incident overall.

Sorry to see that happen to you. Great looking chicken. I'll be trying that soon.

I guess we can call it the "How many Pollaks does it take to..... mod"

IMHO - you were robbed, and the correct process was NOT followed.

Let us know how it does at the next contest! Keep it up!

Jeff_in_KC said:
.. ever thought about something simple and easy like competing in rugby, lacrosse, horseracing or yachting? Plus, at least yachting HAS to be cheaper than BBQing! :roll:

Yachting sounds good but the cooker won't fit :-D

Dr. Guy,
I too was a CBJ at Grill Kings 2006 and as most of us know, it is all "blind" judging; your turn-in chicken was not judged at my table. As others have stated, it does appear fried but the consensus seems to already agree on giving the KCBS rep a heads up ahead of time going forward to avoid any confusion. I am certainly going to try the recipe soon as it not only looks good but I am sure taste's good as well. By the way, our table did have to give a couple of entries a 1 on appearance after one judge found a small piece of foil in their sample. Thus, as per the KCBS rep, the rest of us crossed out our prior appearance grade, changed to a 1 and wrote the turn in box number on the back of our cards with the word FOIL. This happened once on ribs and later once on brisket; different judges each time; a shame because the taste and texture grades will counted, but a 1 on appearance, albeit the lightest weighted category, does hurt. I made a mental note to be very careful when I turn in comp meats if I have foiled them at all to make sure none gets to the judges. Thanks again for the recipe though and of course no one likes to get DQ'd and I am sure the KCBS rep and judges don't like it either.
Regards,
Wes

Ponder this
Rule #13 asks “Was this chicken presented in a way to make it identifiable?”
Perhaps or Perhaps not?

Also you should know this!
You are not the first to use this technique.
You may have taken it a bit extreme as it dose look fried not that that should matter? But remember rule#13

You just forgot to sauce the chicken! And used a bit too much bread……
Don't give up on your technique others are having success with it. Just tweak it a bit and make it look like un-identifiable chicken...

Cracker

Great thread!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back