How to get DQed for no reason in 9 easy steps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree that Rule #13 was broken. Marking is more like cutting a certain notch in your brisket or branding your ribs... not using different ingredients to make your chicken. There's nothing to stop another team from doing the exact same thing, so their chicken would look very similar... Marking it with a big P or something like would not be something you'd expect another team to do.

If I use a sauce that has a different color, I'm not marking... I probably won't score high in appearance, but there's nothing to say it has to look red or it's marking.

cmcadams said:
I disagree that Rule #13 was broken. Marking is more like cutting a certain notch in your brisket or branding your ribs... not using different ingredients to make your chicken.

I am not just talking about notching or branding.
Any meat presented in a way to make it identifiable is what it says.

This could be a subject to interpretation for hours.
The point I was trying to make is perhaps if the chicken was less conspicuous it would not have been call out. I use a very similar approach with less dramatic visual effect with varied success. That is if top 5 in bird most of the time is varied.

Guys,
Isn't life about pushing the envelope? Christ! if we didn't "push the envelope" we would never have gotten to the moon. I think what Guy did was very cool and I think its time for the so called Table captains to get there heads out of there asses and wake up. If there is a question about
how it was cooked, go to the team and ask them. This is my own opinion
now so here it goes.... If your at a BBQ comp. what kind of Dips*** would turn in fried chicken. I think the Table captains should know this.
Guy, YOU WAS ROBBED!!!

smokincracker said:
cmcadams said:
I disagree that Rule #13 was broken. Marking is more like cutting a certain notch in your brisket or branding your ribs... not using different ingredients to make your chicken.

I am not just talking about notching or branding.
Any meat presented in a way to make it identifiable is what it says.

This could be a subject to interpretation for hours.
The point I was trying to make is perhaps if the chicken was less conspicuous it would not have been call out. I use a very similar approach with less dramatic visual effect with varied success. That is if top 5 in bird most of the time is varied.

Jimmy,

I ain't giving up. I have to find a way to sauce the pieces without making them mushy again. We are working on it. We are gonna try rice flour as not to give it that fried look. I will let ya know what I turn up.

Jimmy If we used the logic you were talking we would have dqed at least 2 of each category at Harpoon. unique color (yellow chicken) gray brisket, soy colored ribs, and a mush for pulled pork. He was robbed and as cooks and judges we need to throw a fit on his behalf!! I am just to new and stupid to know how YET!

simple answer to all of this

When I try to do something this cutting edge we go and talk to the contest reps and ask them is this ok?If they say it is quetstionable then we avoid it. i think flour chicken is not bbq chicken whether the rules agreeor not imho. if you didnt talk to the reps ahead of time you got what you deseved.trying to be different takes risk and it seems like you are having a good time about it.
John

I agree with you on the cutting edge piece of it, but the bigger issue comes from the ract that rules as written are rules and need to be consistent. Would it be fair for Guy and team to go to three different contests, speak to three different contest reps about their planned method and get three different answers 1) OK, 2) No way, 3) I don't know ?

While a risky method to attempt and in my opinion not necessary to pull good scores I don't think that's fair as the rules are currently written. Everyone has a slightly different interpretation as to what real BBQ is, but if it's a KCBS contest and the rules don't specifically call it out, it should be legal, whether as a judge or contest rep or another team you consider it BBQ or not.

I can only hope Guy and team contact KCBS and hope that it gets brought to a rules meeting for further clarification or a change in rules that calls out the use of a batter, breading etc.

We have sent email messages to Ed Roith and Donna McClure and have not gotten a response. I had a great attitude about this up til now. Now I feel I am being ignored. Unfortunately this is what I expected.

Give them some time Guy. I've never dealt with Donna, by Ed is usually pretty responsive.

Sawdustguy said:
smokincracker said:
Jimmy,

I ain't giving up. I have to find a way to sauce the pieces without making them mushy again. We are working on it. We are gonna try rice flour as not to give it that fried look. I will let ya know what I turn up.

Guy

Let me know how the rice flour works.

cracker

look this was challanging the rules. It was something unique and different. either way you win. if it got by you look like guiness. if it gets DQed you are a marter and every one picks up your cross. Look if you have a question talk to the contest rep everytime. Let them know that your are following the rules. It is no way I can tell that breaded chicken was fried or smoked by looking at it If incosistency is the problem with the reps atleast you will not get DQed. I know you spent alot of time and effort into this dont waste you time. Use comon sense.. I am not against anyone here but you put this out for comment and well i commented. good luck and be smart.
John

Funny that Guy got DQ'd for the chicken but people used whatever charcoal they wanted for the grilling contest (against the rules) and were not.....

anwsering a few questions i read back in the thread.

1 - according to Murry(one of the KCBS reps), they were 100% certified this year.

backyardchef said:
Funny that Guy got DQ'd for the chicken but people used whatever charcoal they wanted for the grilling contest (against the rules) and were not.....

2 - The grilling contest was non sanctioned by any org, and was on the honor system to abide by the rules. Just as there is no one walking around the sanctioned event making sure no one has their propane fueled log lighter turned on in the stick burners to supply heat overnight. If people were cheating, its on their conscience. Guy was not cheating, but (mis)judged by judges. I don't see the correlation.

BBQchef33 said:
2 - The grilling contest was non sanctioned by any org, and was on the honor system to abide by the rules. Guy was not cheating, but (mis)judged by judges. I don't see the correlation.

Guy was not cheating-- that was my point. The honor system, obviously, failed. Following the rules didn't seem to be worth it.

I'm sure if anyone saw someone using gas overnight, they would report it if they felt the need.

Sawdustguy said:
We have sent email messages to Ed Roith and Donna McClure and have not gotten a response. I had a great attitude about this up til now. Now I feel I am being ignored. Unfortunately this is what I expected.

2.gif

Pigs on The Run said:
look this was challanging the rules. It was something unique and different. either way you win. if it got by you look like guiness. if it gets DQed you are a marter and every one picks up your cross. Look if you have a question talk to the contest rep everytime. Let them know that your are following the rules. It is no way I can tell that breaded chicken was fried or smoked by looking at it If incosistency is the problem with the reps atleast you will not get DQed. I know you spent alot of time and effort into this dont waste you time. Use comon sense.. I am not against anyone here but you put this out for comment and well i commented. good luck and be smart.
John

You make absolutely no sense. Please clarify yourself. If you are hinting that I should notify the contest reps everytime I do something different that's not the point. My point is that the contest rep should be sure before DQing anyone instead of assuming.

PotR, I don't see that what Guy did was challenging ANY rules! He farkin' smoked chicken indirect on a grill. Period. The only difference between what he did and what we do was that he added seasoned flour to the mix. BFD. Flour doesn't constitute frying. You need oil/grease for that. I don't recall Guy saying he used oil or grease. Do you?

I apreciate your point of view. i agree with you that the reps acted inccorectly. But you are still DQed. Nothing is ever going to change that.No matter how many people pick up your cross it will not happen.I personally wish i could change it.If your goal is to change the rules, probally next year they will include no breading, I dont know. If i saw chicken with breading on it i would probally alsothink it was fried. sorry my southern roots. If it looks like a duck ect. If you didnt realize you were flirting with the rules, i am sorry. i dont like getting DQed. I will take the extra minute to "understand" the rules more clearly with the Reps.One thing i realize that the reps are not my enemy. They are to help me so get help when needed, the inconvience coulda save youa a top ten which you probally deserved anyway. if the arguement is it is too much inconvience to talk to the rep than to get dqed well good luck. Oh i wish they best of luck . Hope to see ya in a contest in the near future.
John

This is ridiculous! Right there what you said about if you saw flour on it, you would also think it was fried. At that point, you might want to confirm your thought.

Again, where do you get from the rules that Guy was flirting with them? Didn't flirt. Didn't challenge. He simply added an ingredient to smoked chicken that was different than anyone else. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't see one damned place in the KCBS rules where it says flour or ANY ingredient is illegal to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back