THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Agree wholeheartedly. Really don't miss it at all. I would ban my kids from it, but they are young adults, and I don't want to control every single thing they do. Trying to give them some independence until they give me a reason not to.

If you are stressed about it, you made the right decision. By getting off FB. If people expect to be invited over every time you make Q, AND you feel bad, then you are in a hard spot. The most important thing to do is make sure they know that for you, bbq is not about having everyone together. It is a meal, that you enjoy making at home, involving the family and whomever you choose to invite that day. They will have to learn to share you, or maybe not see you.

I have been through that with family, not media. On media, i dont participate enough to have followers. I check up on people, joke around, see what's happening. Past that, there is the unfollow/unfriend feature.

I don't use social media - too much garbage, too much noise, too much intrusion and I can get that from work. I prefer to keep my personal life as private as I want it to be.

I post here and a few other forums among friends and like minded folks.

Can you imagine the impact of a handwritten note or letter these days?

It’s funny, I do send handwritten thank-you notes in business, and apparently it is so unusual it has become something of a “thing” in my community for people to receive one. I’ve been at conferences and large dinners where people were arguing with each other over who had received more of my notes.

So if you want to distinguish yourself these days, a handwritten note is one way to do it. Everyone else uses email . . . .

Last edited:
Though I have seen disagreements here, most of them remain civil, with few exceptions. I don't see near the drama here that I saw on Facebook. The drama on FB hardly ever involved me, but I witnessed it among others. I was a quiet observer, not wanting to fan the flames or be accused of choosing sides.

It's definitely a relief, downright therapeutic for me, to get on here and converse with like-minded people. It's one of the few things that help me retain a semblance of sanity.

I had a friend who was kind of an ass tell me once that i was too nice. Everybody came to me because i wouldn't say no. His advice? Be an ass like me and you will have fewer problems. Never could do it but i do say no a lot more than i ever did.

I have had coworkers get really mad that i don't cook for them. I use the liability excuse every time. They eventually stop asking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have discussed this dilemma at length with my wife. When we moved back here from Florida 2 years ago, the people who showed up to help us unload the trailer and bring furniture into the house were all from our church. Not one family member from either side. Not trying to be a jerk, but that's about 20 people who had something more important to do that day. Now, those same family members wonder why we would rather fellowship with the people from our church than with them.

It's at the point that one dear friend from church who posts on FB a lot will be asked not to post any photos from our get-togethers from now on. She'll understand. I probably won't even have to explain why. She knows we are having some problems with it anyway, as my wife shared some of it with her.

It’s funny, I do send handwritten thank-you notes in business, and apparently it is so unusual it has become something of a “thing” in my community for people to receive one. I’ve been at conferences and large dinners where people were arguing with each other over who had received the most of my notes.

So if you want to distinguish yourself these days, a handwritten note is one way to do it. Everyone else uses email . . . .

I do handwritten notes as well. It’s old school cool as far as I’m concerned. Good for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

First reply by sudsandswine nailed it. If you must social media, go Instagram. Especially for the purposes you're using it for. Instagram was made for posting pics and there's virtually no drama.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I’ve had more than a few times when I didn’t post pics so certain people didn’t know I was cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had more than a few times when I didn’t post pics so certain people didn’t know I was cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what ended up happening with me too. I just got so tired of hearing "Wow, that looks good. Wish I could have had some." I told my wife I wanted to be able to have a guilt free Saturday, like it used to be when I first got into cooking. That was in Florida, so no one could bark about not being invited... they were over 900 miles away.

I would not have a facebook account if they paid me, the concept is repulsive. But to get back on point, the answer to the above question is obvious, "Because you are an ashHole".

You're welcome.:thumb:

I remember when it first rolled out when I was in college and it was only for students. It has its purpose. What is so repulsive about it?

I remember when it first rolled out when I was in college and it was only for students. It has its purpose. What is so repulsive about it?

The purpose is to collect data on you and both monetize it and also to share with certain parts of certain governments. And not only “good” ones. That’s fairly repulsive in my book, but also, you as a user are the product not the customer. You should be compensated for providing the product for them.

There really is very little benefit and tremendous downside to being active on these platforms. Nearly everyone would be better off closing their accounts and never going back.

The purpose is to collect data on you and both monetize it and also to share with certain parts of certain governments. And not only “good” ones. That’s fairly repulsive in my book, but also, you as a user are the product not the customer. You should be compensated for providing the product for them.

There really is very little benefit and tremendous downside to being active on these platforms. Nearly everyone would be better off closing their accounts and never going back.

Meh. I have nothing to hide.

The problem with Facebook is, yes, everyone has “something to hide” We are getting too complacent about losing our privacy. Yes, FB mines it’s data (user info) and sells it to almost anyone willing to buy it, i.e: Chinese cell phone makers. When you can’t see what “product” is for sale, YOU, are the “product.”

I’m not, nor ever will be sold on FB.

But to Wire-it-up, sorry you are having family problems. My family is no joy either. Too many things to list here, but needless to say, I wouldn’t even live in the same state as them at all. Good luck.

One of the many reasons I'm not friends with family members on FB. My wife will sometimes post the results (she's friends with my family members), but everyone understands that it's just the two of us, so no one really gripes.

Why does facebook repulse me? So many reasons.

The data collection and privacy issues already mentioned are a small part of the reason. A larger part is the culture change it is causing. People use it to feed their narcissism (likes) among a bunch of people they think of as friends. People boast of having hundreds or thousand of friends on fb. Get real, a friend is the guy/gal you call late Sunday afternoon and ask to come over to help get that 1000lb smoker out of the back of your pickup; he/she shows up in 15 minutes.

So many people now seem to only communicate over social media, guess we can't be bothered to call and actually talk with some one.

I guess I just don't see it ending well.

Back