THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh. It caused a short term issue. But then it was over. I tried various other solutions, including turning off Facebook. But I decided I enjoyed connecting with people I grew up with and friends from college. I wasnt going to allow my crazy MiL the power to stop me from enjoying it.

2 weeks after I unfriended them all the issue was over. Never an issue since and I still enjoy FB

That took courage. I don't know if I could do it. Not trying to bore anyone with my problems, but this all started after my in-laws demanded I lug my tools to their house to troubleshoot an electrical problem on a Saturday, after working 13 hours of overtime spread out over Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. That may not sound too bad, but the job conditions were brutal, and I was in pain for a few days afterward. They were aware of the overtime and my need for rest, but wouldn't let it go. It was all I could do not to lose it and blow up on them. That wouldn't help, so I bit my tongue. They have really put myself and my wife in a precarious position with their demands. Still trying to find the adult way to deal with it. Nothing I've tried so far (particularly patience and kindness) has worked. Starting to think a blunt tail chewing is all that gets through to some people. Really trying hard to avoid that.

Before social media people would get what was known as liquid courage, social medial has provided a medium for people to say what they would not otherwise, problem is once they hit send it's too late and the damage is done. For many it does not matter cause their friends are limited to the web and nothing more. Personally I would not worry about it.

@op

I dont have any of the facebooks or the twitters, but is there a way to remove these users from your contact list? :mrgreen:

or, if you want to be ballsy you can go the other way and post multiple pictures EVERY SINGLE TIME you cook and just let them get worked up about it. Eventually they'll get the message that ydgaf about what they think

Pretty sure I’m the only person in my age group who doesn’t have Facechat. This thread is solidifying that position

Completely understandable. It's solidifying that position for me as well. My wife agrees... our household is better off without social media. If someone wants to know what I'm doing, let them take the initiative to call me and ask me. Seems not too many people do that anymore - perhaps because they don't have to. Maybe they just need to look at social media to see what anyone was doing 15 seconds ago?

For me, FB was better tolerated when I was just a lurker. Once I started posting, it completely changed for me.

I’m waiting for that person to say if someone wants to contact them, they should send them a telegram or snail mail.

Can you imagine the impact of a handwritten note or letter these days? I'm only 47 (almost), and I received a handwritten note of gratitude a few weeks ago. I was blown away. Predictably, it was from an older person, about 80 years old or so. She's not on social media. Prior to that note, I can't remember the last time I received something so personal that wasn't from one of my kids. Considering how encouraging that note was to me, I imagine the generation ahead of me finds such things to be even more so.

I guess the ease and convenience of social media is worthwhile, but it seems we lost something in the exchange toward easiness.

I’m waiting for that person to say if someone wants to contact them, they should send them a telegram or snail mail.
My sister will only contact me by mail. Back before cell phones, she would call me after she knew I had left home for work and leave messages with my wife, until she screwed up and called on a day I took off for work. All because I told her my mother was ill, and she didn't believe me. Last time I needed to talk to her, I showed up on her front porch at 6 AM, kind of a wellness check.

This site is a close to social media as I get. No farkbook, IG, etc. I like it that way. But then again, I do like looking at other folks' IG acct's, Tonybel's especially - but that's more about seeing great food, getting some great Mexican recipes, and wisdom (for example: "people need to learn the difference between "want" and "need". I 'want' abs, but I 'need' tacos!").

But anyway, I prefer as drama-free a life as possible, and staying off of social media (and not allowing our teenage kids on it as well) helps a lot with that.

The next time the trouble makers come over to your house...

A_x_MJOCQAACWIf.jpg:large

I discovered years ago how not to be a doormat was to simply say no, civilly, with conviction, respectably, without excuses. This has served me well for 50+ years.

I tried that approach with the people in question, a couple of times. No go. They wouldn't take "No" for an answer. Got all hurt and offended when I told them I don't want to do my day job all weekend, for anyone, including at my own house. My wife agrees that I tried, and she tried. They make sure to ask in front of the entire family, so if you say "No, I'm sorry but I'm too busy right now. Maybe in the Fall when things slow down", you look like a real tool.

But I stood up to them, kindly and patiently. Just dealing with the backlash now. I'm a big boy - I can take it. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced similar issues. At least one person here has.

Can you imagine the impact of a handwritten note or letter these days? I'm only 47 (almost), and I received a handwritten note of gratitude a few weeks ago. I was blown away. Predictably, it was from an older person, about 80 years old or so. She's not on social media. Prior to that note, I can't remember the last time I received something so personal that wasn't from one of my kids. Considering how encouraging that note was to me, I imagine the generation ahead of me finds such things to be even more so.

I guess the ease and convenience of social media is worthwhile, but it seems we lost something in the exchange toward easiness.

Amen and amen. I gotcha there: I have buddies over for steaks and bourbon with some regularity. On a couple occasions I’ve receive hand-written notes of gratitude from guys I know well. They expressed their thanks and the importance of friendship (and compliment the food) and the notes really hit home with me. Texts from other guys are nice. But a hand-written note is classy and impactful. I went out and got myself some nice stationary and have now been doing the same thing.

I was thinking I should start doing that before I read your post. Hearing that others are doing it only strengthens that notion. Now to start thinking about who the first recipient should be.

I tried that approach with the people in question, a couple of times. No go. They wouldn't take "No" for an answer. Got all hurt and offended when I told them I don't want to do my day job all weekend, for anyone, including at my own house. My wife agrees that I tried, and she tried. They make sure to ask in front of the entire family, so if you say "No, I'm sorry but I'm too busy right now. Maybe in the Fall when things slow down", you look like a real tool.

But I stood up to them, kindly and patiently. Just dealing with the backlash now. I'm a big boy - I can take it. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced similar issues. At least one person here has.

couple of things you can do.

1. move
2. some cultures do this. if someone doesnt want to take a gentle no for an answer then give them an exaggerated no. as in get beyond angry, yelling and accusatory. they will never ask for anything again.

many ways to skin a cat

I've actually considered Option 1 a few times since this happened. But we did that once, and it didn't work out so great. Long story, but one of the biggest problems with that was that my supervisor was an absolute monster. I was the last person to say that about him, as I was trying hard to see good in him. But after two years, I couldn't take it anymore. When my employment contract expired, I was offered renewal, but I quietly declined. I would hate to miss out on the many positives of living near family in order to escape the few negatives. My parents are getting older, and will need a lot of help in the near future. Living far away under those conditions would be difficult. I'll hold off on the yelling option for now, and hopefully find a solution that makes everyone happy.

Back