THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LOL, I guess if you aren't the target of the wrath, you are free to post away as well.

I take it your wife is not aware of the plan?

Oh no, she knows that I am cooking for her and three friends. She only got to pick one item: my mac and cheese.

That alone will make the friends that didn't get invited angry,

But...I am adding a few proteins and have been testing various wines to pair with them. And adding dessert.

At least one of the uninvited will be drving by the house 2 minutes after the pics are posted, looking for leftovers.

Facebook is a pit. I deleted mine many years ago and it's been one GIANT reducer of stress.

I post a lot of BBQ to my Instagram and its been very nice. You can even disable comments for your pictures if you don't want to deal with people. IMO social media is not social, it's actually pretty destructive. If people are creating a degrading experience for you, remove them from your social media and if they have a problem with it they can come talk to your face.

Just my 2cents though....

Facebook is a pit. I deleted mine many years ago and it's been one GIANT reducer of stress.

I post a lot of BBQ to my Instagram and its been very nice. You can even disable comments for your pictures if you don't want to deal with people. IMO social media is not social, it's actually pretty destructive. If people are creating a degrading experience for you, remove them from your social media and if they have a problem with it they can come talk to your face.

Just my 2cents though....

After the nightmare the last week or so has been, your post is verbatim how I feel about Facebook. Haven't missed it much at all. Things have quietened down significantly, but the flames may be restoked this weekend, when I decline to attend a social event that everyone else will be going to. Not trying to perpetuate a problem, really - I'm not. I just prefer to stay home on Saturday to unwind from the work week, and prepare for worship Sunday. If I'm weird for feeling that way, then I'm weird. Life is moving far too fast right now, and Saturday is the one day of the week that I can slow it down. No one will ever convince me that asking for one calm day out of 7 is being selfish.

There are those occasional Saturdays that follow a normal work week, where things haven't been insanely busy, and I am up to having guests. That's a great weekend, when I can cook Q and have friends over to enjoy it with us. But then there are those Saturdays where the work week has been ridiculous, and I don't know how I didn't get so far behind that I could see myself up ahead, running furiously to catch up. On those Saturdays, I am usually capable of cooking just for my family. If I was proud of what I made and posted pics on FB, it seems someone would be hurt over not being invited. But the thing is, that particular day, NO ONE was invited. It was just for the 4 in my household. When you're worn out anyway, you don't have a lot of patience for whiners. Saw enough complaining to learn my lesson... don't post Q pics on FB, or someone will get their feelings hurt. And if it's a Saturday that DOES include guests, and those not invited see the guests in the photos? Watch out!

LOL, sometimes it feels like you can't win. So I decided to just put the goings on of my house on lockdown. No one needs to know what is happening here, and if they want to know, they can call and ask.

...LOL, sometimes it feels like you can't win. So I decided to just put the goings on of my house on lockdown. No one needs to know what is happening here, and if they want to know, they can call and ask.

I am sorry that your family and friends are like this. Maybe you should get new ones.

I am scheduled for surgery on the 9th of July. I *should* be relaxing, resting, preparing for the journey ahead.

Last night, I made mac and cheese (a 2 hour affair) for a friend of the Mrs. Why? Because she (the friend) is recovering from surgery, and I had the ingredients. Before I could blink, the Mrs. posted pics on her IG account, and jokingly chastised me for not slowing down.

Another friend of ours pointed out that her comment was the pot calling the kettle black.

Two friends are coming over with mains tonight.

I still say post away, and let the haters hate. Your first ministry begins at home, and if you are taking care of your immediate family, the rest just doesn't matter.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Saturday, I will fellowship with the offending parties after all. It's a birthday lunch/anniversary celebration. The birthday boy is turning 16, and is severely autistic, to the point of being nonverbal. If I refused to go to that, I would deserve any bad karma that came my way afterwards. His parents are celebrating their anniversary. His mother was the first to dog something I made, on Facebook, about a month ago. She was going strictly by appearance, and the comment was uncalled for. I didn't take the bait. I ignored the remark. She is my wife's twin sister. Not really people I care to fellowship with right now, but I would never want to be vindictive and refuse to go to my disabled nephew's birthday celebration.

While we are dining, there will be two 8 pound butts cooking low and slow on the Weber. However, no one else at the celebration lunch will know that.

If they ask, I'll play coy.

Back