THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does facebook repulse me? So many reasons.

The data collection and privacy issues already mentioned are a small part of the reason. A larger part is the culture change it is causing. People use it to feed their narcissism (likes) among a bunch of people they think of as friends. People boast of having hundreds or thousand of friends on fb. Get real, a friend is the guy/gal you call late Sunday afternoon and ask to come over to help get that 1000lb smoker out of the back of your pickup; he/she shows up in 15 minutes.

So many people now seem to only communicate over social media, guess we can't be bothered to call and actually talk with some one.

I guess I just don't see it ending well.

Online bulletin boards have been around before the word social media was coined... but we're not too far off from Facebook here :razz:

I am considering logging back into Facebook long enough to copy my post about how busy things are right now, just so I can paste it here. It's relevant to the conversation, but I don't know that I need to build a case for my view on it. It seems many people are in agreement. Not trying to start a war, just wondering if others have experienced FB backlash for the same reasons I have.

wire-it-up:
As I said, I'm not on FB. This website is really becoming nice, and there is a gun forum I talk on. While those are social media, they are a long ways from FB.

However, I have had confrontations with my folks as to why my wife and I don't post on FaceBook so they can see our kids etc. This was brought on, because other friends and various family members just love to share their every minor thought and minutia from their day. My folks were feeling left out, or like we were trying to "avoid" them.

It wasn't a long drawn out confrontation as I just simply said I don't do FB and my wife is too busy to deal with that idiotic stuff. They still felt slighted, but that is not something I can do anything about.

So yes, I understand what you are talking about. I told my wife about this thread and how you are under pressure from relatives on FB. She understood completely. She and I both feel that social media is a major downfall of society in the US.

Hi Blizzard. I really appreciate your reply. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one dealing with these things. In order to provide reference to all who are following this thread, here's my Facebook post in its entirety, copied and pasted, not edited in any form before posting here. This is what started the firestorm that played out via texting, not on Facebook. I said very little to the offended party, as I didn't want my emotion to cause me to throw gas on a fire.

Hello friends and family. Jason here. I need to ask a favor. Lately, I am being asked on a pretty consistent basis to look at, repair, or install electrical components for friends and family. Please note, this post is not directed at anyone specific. It is a general post, meant for anyone who has an electrical problem they need help with from me. If I have helped you lately, or if you are waiting for me to help you, keep in mind that you are not the only person who has asked or is waiting. Rather, you are one of several who have requested help. Here's how you can help me. Bear in mind that the summer is very short. I am busier at work than I have ever been in my life. When I put my tools in the van at the end of a work day, especially on Fridays, I really don't want to see them again until the next time I am scheduled to work. I have repair and maintenance issues at my own house that I have been putting off. My employer recently sent me out of town for 3 days, where I worked 37 hours over those 3 days... in a very dirty, noisy, grueling environment. For my own physical and mental well being, I simply cannot assist with any electrical problems outside of my normal working hours at this time. If you need help with an electrical problem, you will need to run it through the company I work for, or call someone else, unfortunately. It is possible that I can be more available when work slows down in the Fall. During these short summer months, I would appreciate the ability to enjoy time with my family on weekends. My kids will be too busy for me before I know it, tied up again with school and work responsibilities. My family attends church pretty faithfully, which means 2 services on Sundays. While we love our church and the opportunity to worship there, it is often difficult to find time to rest on Sundays. That being the case, Saturday is the only day I have to unwind from the work week. What seems like a "quick simple repair" is most likely a minimum two hour investment for me. Most of you know I like to cook a little barbecue on Saturdays. This is one way I retain my sanity. However, if I am cooking barbecue, I have to stay near the house, obviously. I have tried to give barbecue to anyone who is interested, and everyone I've given it to has been so grateful. I love to see the smiles on people's faces when I hand them something that cooked for 4 or 5 hours minimum. I consider that a ministry, and I really enjoy it. My job that I do all day every day... is that a ministry, something I love to do outside of normal working hours? Not so much. Sorry this post is so long. If you've taken the time to read all of it, thank you. This has been weighing pretty heavily on me lately, as I really do like to help people. But I need a break from the daily grind, and quitting time has to be that break for right now. Thanks so much for your understanding.

The only people who were upset by this were my wife's parents, and they are the ones who demand the most help. They thought they were being singled out. I did let my mother in law know by text that they were the only ones offended.

The only people who were upset by this were my wife's parents, and they are the ones who demand the most help. They thought they were being singled out. I did let my mother in law know by text that they were the only ones offended.

If someone were angry at me for a post like that, it would be the end of our relationship. Seriously, you need your time and your kids need you. Those are your major priorities and responsibilities. Anyone who can’t respect that should be cut out of your life as completely as possible. Polite indifference at major holidays if necessary, but other than that no communication, favors, visits etc. No one I have ever met needed more aggravation and drama in their lives. Cut them off, and you will be much happier AND HEALTHIER for it.

I am reminded of the old quip by Dear Abby concerning situations such as the OP has: "people cannot take advantage of you unless you allow them."

I made that same statement to my wife about this situation. I told her it's time to stop letting them do it. They aren't used to that, so it was a bit of a shock to them, I think.

The reaction to the post was all positive, other than from my in-laws. Several people "loved" it, with the heart symbol. Many people "liked" it, with the thumbs up. And several people posted positive comments, saying they completely understood, and that a good worker is worth their wages, one earns down time and it is a necessary thing to have, etc. Based on the reactions of everyone else, I thought it was okay to let my mother in law know that they were the only people who took offense to it.

In the book The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov a future is described in which time travel was invented. All of humanity is engaged in time travel. Later centuries sell advanced technology to earlier ones for healthy DNA and so on. Humanity is preoccupied with itself. They don't develop space travel until it is too late and die out of a species wide depression. In the book they overcome this problem. Remember this is time travel. Anything can be undone.

Replace TT with FB and this is my view of social media.

But I've found a solution! I post on a forum on another continent!:-D

Several of the Brers post on Instagram. I do as well.

I cook (and post) when

I get the feeling (at least twice a week)
When the refrigerator and freezer are empty
I get a killer deal on meat (1.88/lb for 10 lbs of tri tip)
I find a Bucket List piece of meat (Short Ribs, for example).

All of my friends and family have my numbers, so if they see some pics, and they want to come over, all they need to do is ask. There's no whining necessary.

I say that now, but I have something planned for the Mrs. and *some* of her friends that are going to make the rest of her friends mad if I post it. But her friends will be mad at her, not me, so it's all good.

Don't sweat the haters. Post away!

Back