Chicago Winter Lunch Bash I - January 23, 2010

What would you like to eat?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Our schedule is free that day. I can be flexible, Bub's is most convenient to us, but I see lots of folks from all over on this thread, so I will bow to the majority

so far the 23rd looks good for me. We won't know PL's work schedule until that week.

I don't care where we go. It's not about the food, it's about getting to hang with old friends and meet new ones. Trying a new BBQ place would be cool, but I'll go with the consensus.

BTW, We took my parents to Sweet Baby Ray's in Wooddale a couple of weeks ago for lunch. Duce was there and was a great host. I'm sure he would love to have a bunch of Brethren in there, but if we end up with a large number we should let him know in advance. The place seats about 40 or so. The food was very good. He had just taken briskets, butts and baby backs out of the Southern Pride so that's what PL and i ordered. My mom and dad had ribs and chicken. We all enjoyed it.

Wow, I'm kind of ignorant, guess narrow perspective does that, I need to travel more.... I had no idea Sweet Baby Ray's was local -- I see their sauces in all the markets and had always assumed they were a national chain company.

Definitely agree that it doesn't matter what type of restaurant to hit up, I'll get around to trying all of the local BBQ spots soon enough anyway. :)

Hey guys! The 23rd works for me, and don't care where we go either. There was talk of Famous Daves in lombard, and every time I went they had good brisket. Don't know if that's still the case, just letting you know. Ford, there are 4 marriot hotels within 1 mile of that restaurant.

Does it have to be BBQ???? How about a bar with pub food. And a Marriott property close by would be a plus for me.

If your coming to/through Chicago, we do that too!

We took out BigDog and Arlin, Noskos last April from Norway, locals took out Big Brother Smoke, we met up with Troutman and then BBQ Grail while they were near O'Hare, and annually with NCGrimbo in Sep/Oct, and Phil and son for dogs/beef/deep dish, and BellyBro and fam were in town and took in a Bulls game with us.

So if your coming to town Ford, tell us and we'll try and get something together.

so far the 23rd looks good for me. We won't know PL's work schedule until that week.

I don't care where we go. It's not about the food, it's about getting to hang with old friends and meet new ones. Trying a new BBQ place would be cool, but I'll go with the consensus.

BTW, We took my parents to Sweet Baby Ray's in Wooddale a couple of weeks ago for lunch. Duce was there and was a great host. I'm sure he would love to have a bunch of Brethren in there, but if we end up with a large number we should let him know in advance. The place seats about 40 or so. The food was very good. He had just taken briskets, butts and baby backs out of the Southern Pride so that's what PL and i ordered. My mom and dad had ribs and chicken. We all enjoyed it.
Ron - i did mention I could set something up at that location if we chose that
I think Dave and Duce would be ecstatic if a bunch of brethren decided to come..but yes its small..so some advance warning would be the right thing to do..we could also check into the elk grove location as its quite a bit bigger..they do a great brunch (bbq as well as breakfast type dishes) but unfortunately thats only on Sunday I believe

Wow, I'm kind of ignorant, guess narrow perspective does that, I need to travel more.... I had no idea Sweet Baby Ray's was local -- I see their sauces in all the markets and had always assumed they were a national chain company.

Definitely agree that it doesn't matter what type of restaurant to hit up, I'll get around to trying all of the local BBQ spots soon enough anyway. :)
Ironstomach - SBR is from right here in Chi-Town (west side)
the sauce business was sold a few years ago but the name was kept to use on the restaurant(s)..there is one in wood dale and one in Elk grove

Ironstomach - SBR is from right here in Chi-Town (west side)
the sauce business was sold a few years ago but the name was kept to use on the restaurant(s)..there is one in wood dale and one in Elk grove

Thanks Billm, Good to know, I'll definitely try them out!

Ron - i did mention I could set something up at that location if we chose that
I think Dave and Duce would be ecstatic if a bunch of brethren decided to come..but yes its small..so some advance warning would be the right thing to do..we could also check into the elk grove location as its quite a bit bigger..they do a great brunch (bbq as well as breakfast type dishes) but unfortunately thats only on Sunday I believe

So you would go to SBR and not Uncle Bub's? Sorry, I wouldn't go if it was there...

I'm personal friends with Mark from Uncle Bub's and I know I could set something up too. but as someone else said, it doesn't have to be BBQ. I go to Uncle Buib's all the time, jjust don't eat there BBQ. Then again, I don't eat any BBQ. I don't even eat my own, why would I eat some bad BBQ?

So you would go to SBR and not Uncle Bub's? Sorry, I wouldn't go if it was there...

I'm personal friends with Mark from Uncle Bub's and I know I could set something up too. but as someone else said, it doesn't have to be BBQ. I go to Uncle Buib's all the time, jjust don't eat there BBQ. Then again, I don't eat any BBQ. I don't even eat my own, why would I eat some bad BBQ?
just didnt care for it the couple times i was there..wasnt meant to be a personal thing against anyone plus we had alreayd gone there in April
at this point Ill go anywhere..
Ill go with what ron said the food is secondary...
at this point im hoping Bill just picks a palce and tells us a time :)

If you guys do the Wood Dale Sweet Baby Rays there are is a couple hotels very close by. Plus the one hotel on Wood Dale Rd has a nice little bar close by. Nice place AKA eye candy called Thornwood! The shop I work in is very close by so I know the area pretty well. I could get some info on the Hotels if needed.

As for a restaurant don't know about you guys but I am usually disappointed when I go out to eat. I always say man I could have made this better! What ever you guys decide I will try to attend. Vince

Steph, we'll do something seperately when you come to town.

Still kicking myself for missing you last time!

Last edited:
OK... I'm in a boring meeting and decided to play around a bit. I took the names and locations of the Chicago area brethren who have expressed interest and put them into a Google map. Then I looked at the approximate center out of all of us and an idea hit me. How about Dave and Buster's in Addison? They have beer, food and plenty of places to find a table to sit and talk. We can also challenge each other to the games if anyone is interested. Thoughts?

Dave & Busters
1155 North Swift Road
Addison, IL 60101
(630) 543-5151
daveandbusters.com

There are also three or four hotels in the area. I've added some of them to the Google map.

Here is the Google map if anyone is interested...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...1.916585,-88.033447&spn=0.782755,1.672668&z=9

Last edited:
Nice map. Must be a real boring meeting. Places also in the vicinity of D&B are Famous Dave's, Salt Creek BBQ (never been there), and Home Run Inn Pizza. I don't really care just throwin' em out there. :icon_cool

Dave and Busters works for me!!

Thanks Ron.

You and I make a pretty good team.

Will Parsely Lady let me have you on weekends to, you know, snuggle?

Just sayin,

Back