THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PitRow

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
I've been craving wings for a while now, and today was the day to finally get it done. Plus there's a garlic throw down going on and I wanted to try a couple things.

Earlier in the week I had taken about a pound of wings out of the freezer to defrost so to start I took them out of the fridge and dried them really well with paper towels. I've been wanting to try the baking powder trick with wings for a while now, since I can never get the skin right. So I sprinkled them with 1/4 tsp or so of baking powder and tossed them around real good. I had the grill pre-warmed to 425 so the wings were put on a frog mat and went about 20 minutes before I gave them a flip. Looking pretty good at this point.
861a69dece7e9bdabe4df374a27946a8.jpg

I let them go another 20 minutes or so, and at that point they didn't look/feel quite as crisp as I wanted, so I gave them another 10 minutes then pulled them and took them inside to rest a bit.
f11b96a0c07ef18e5f12bdc6897b8423.jpg

While the wings were resting I MSU'd a sauce. I started with a pat of butter and a whole bunch of minced garlic.
58c2b016f9709f768bc14a066dd26d32.jpg

I let that saute for a few minutes until the garlic was nice and fragrant then added some more stuff. I didn't really measure, just added. A bit of honey, some soy sauce, a splash of rice wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, fresh grated ginger and a squirt of sriracha. I let that cook down a bit until it was nicely thickened.
9125eadeae940bf811bc085ca6918f55.jpg

Sauced and tossed the wings and plated them with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds
f20bc643f730fcea9007d86c6f06da46.jpg

Overall I liked them, however for the amount of garlic I used (must have been a 1/4 cup!) it wasn't really that pronounced in the finished product. I think the extra 10 minutes on the wings was a bit of a mistake too, they were nice and crispy but a little more dried out than I like. But they were a great lunch and something I would definitely do again with a few tweaks. And next time a bigger squirt of sriracha!

Last edited:
Back