Brisket Wars -- SRF brisket cook -- Semi Live

Great job Sako. I've cooked a few of those and they are great briskets. You killed it!

Awesome job sir! Now Ive got something to shoot for :p Put mine in about 7:45am CST amd rolling along at about 250 for now.

Again that brisket looks amazing!

Awesome job sir! Now Ive got something to shoot for :p Put mine in about 7:45am CST amd rolling along at about 250 for now.

Again that brisket looks amazing!

Sweet! Looking forward Coqui

Coffee and brisket this morning :-D Leftover flat and point. The flat is hands down the moistest I've ever had even when I sliced some this morning.

DbTXm0Fh.jpg

and some point meat

lWqO27ih.jpg

Great thread Sako! All that looks fanfarkingtastic - the brisket, the chop, the whole dang deal.

btw we're looking at 10/7 for the next Bash at Moose's:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3778055#post3778055

Spring kinda snuck up! :doh:

p.s. my new favorite term is "douche canoe". :pound:

Thanks Greg! Bash at Moose's. :whoo: Gotta start planning the menu because I as quick as spring sprung the bash will be here before we know it. :shocked: I feel you there it's been pretty busy for most of us.

Mine too! :becky:

12044bcda99c18de17571c1321bc0b4a.jpg

Please don't take this as a knock but more an observation as I've been on the fence about buying one of the SRF gold briskets for a while - at least in regards to marbling that looks about as marbled as the Prime packers I can get from Costco every day for $2.99/lb. I assume there may still be some flavor difference but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money at normal SRF prices of about $10/lb.

Not at all. :thumb:

I always buy Costco primes myself and while they have very good marbling I've NEVER had a prime this marbled. Close to it, a few times but none like this.

Great that you brought this up and here are my observations of the SRF over Primes from Costco

Visual: This was hands down the best looking brisket I've taken out of a cryo

Texture: Soft and oily to the touch. The fat trimmings can be squished and had a cotton like texture so did the meat itself

Trim and waste: Easiest brisket I trimmed and waste was minimal (As documented I use the good fat trimmings and by far this one yielded more reusable trimmings than any other brisket)

Cook:
Since it's so well marbled, cooking this thing was effortless. Easiest, "jiggliest" brisket I cooked to date and we know brisket is a bitch to cook sometimes whatever you do.

Taste: Night and day difference. The flat was the moistest I've had. Even when I had it next day when it was cold. Overall a distinct and very rich tasting brisket bursting with flavor.

What I didn't like:
This particular brisket compared to the other SRF in the fridge had a thinner flat and point. I'll get bigger ones next time I order. Don't get me wrong, plenty to go around but I like a little thicker flat and point. I'll do a comparison when I cook the other one to see how it fairs.

Overall: This is the brisket you want to have if you want to get your brisket fix and you'll be satisfied for months. Super rich and tasty and you will taste a difference over your regular brisket.

Would I buy it again at regular price? Absolutely. There is a reason why comp guys get these by forking out a lot money and now I understand. Like I mentioned, I've cooked wagyu briskets before but SRF product was far superior perhaps because it was Gold.

Finally, am I done with prime briskets? No. Those are delicious and the flavor profile is different than wagyu obviously. Wagyu will be a treat for special occasions and when you want to get that rich, beefy, fatty brisket taste. I probably can do a prime once a month but wagyu every six months or so will work for me because it's soooooo satisfying if I make sense.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Sako. :)

My only regret with the gold label SRF brisket is that I didn't have a friend get a couple when the sale was on!

Thanks for the review Sako. :)

My only regret with the gold label SRF brisket is that I didn't have a friend get a couple when the sale was on!

:thumb:

LOl Funny you said Norm. My friend was like "Dude? You didn't even let me know?" Forgot to let him know. They go fast too. They sold out on the golds in 24 hours so jump on it when it goes on sale. The blacks sold out shorty after that.

You could smoke boot leather and make it turn out like the finest beef Neighbor. :-D
Great bash pics too. I swear, the Cali bash at Greg's is on my must make list!

Thanks Neighbor! Couldn't comment back last night since it got hectic for a minute. We'd love for you to join us at the SoCal bash. I can even arrange private security for you if you want show up incognito to avoid your fans. :becky: You just holler. :thumb:

2doRQRNm.jpg

I've read a lot where guys just tell you how much better something is than something else. Your description makes me finally get it. Before now I was thinking they were maybe just trying to justify spending the extra money vs translating it where my thick head could understand. I feel educated. :hail:

Absolutely! Cooked faster.

Oh and it probed tender at slightly lower temps.

Thanks. I am cooking my first srf black grade on Thursday to practice for a comp on Friday. I bought a gold grade for the comp, but the flat is ridiculously thin. I hope they will replace it. The cook time was what has me worried.

Thanks. I am cooking my first srf black grade on Thursday to practice for a comp on Friday. I bought a gold grade for the comp, but the flat is ridiculously thin. I hope they will replace it. The cook time was what has me worried.

Yea the flat was real thin but I don't compete. I can see where that'll be problem for you guys. Just keep a close eye on it and ultimately it's a judgement call stemming from your experience.

I'm glad you posted this, I've been hesitant to "waste" one for cooking. You may have pushed me over the edge.

Gotta try dirty bastard. I gave up trying to find the limited backwoods bastard so off to the store to get dirty bastard instead.

Back